Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #81
Ardun

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Thanks.
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #82
Ardun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Part of the reason for that price was due to Sisler's engine being a 1948 style block - which meant he had the front mount distributor setup. So, in addition to the mag itself, they would also have to supply an 90 degree angle drive - which was a fairly big addition to the standard mag cost. In today's world, to try to find an angle drive, then have the proper magneto base setup and then buy the mag, would be well over $2000 - if you can find the angle drive.

The Vertex would have been a much better setup for road-racing and the street in general as it has a mechanical advance system, while the Harman Collins magneto is locked down (with no advance in the mag).

I run a Vertex with an angle drive in my 32 Cabriolet - love the way a mag runs with a flathead.
I have a Mallory Electronic and is good. Haven’t figured out a good smog valve setup yet for an 8ba. Any thoughts? Don’t want to drill original intake cover or valve covers. In any event, should have done this during the build.

Tom
Old 04-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #83
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardun View Post
I have a Mallory Electronic and is good. Haven’t figured out a good smog valve setup yet for an 8ba. Any thoughts? Don’t want to drill original intake cover or valve covers. In any event, should have done this during the build.

Tom
Lot of threads on this topic, might try a search or start a new thread with the question. It's a bit off topic here.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #84
Ardun

Ya, agree “off topic,” and will continue to look for anything ARDUN specific.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #85
52Allard

Quote:
Looks like Sisler purchased a lot of high quality and proven race components - I wonder if he ever got the engine completed and on the road? Joe Hunt was a personal HotRod friend on mine - in the 70's, he had his shop on Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance - which was on my way to school. Joe Reath introduced me to Joe Hunt (I was 16 years old) and Joe became my ignition mentor. He setup my first Harman Collins dual-point, then my Harman Collins mag for my blown flathead afterwards. I used to help him in his shop and with some of his various vintage Offy projects. He was a wonderful man and always had time to answer my questions and help me with my projects. In recent years, I replicated his magneto testing machine here in Ohio - as the way he explained it to me made sense, so I had to make my own in later years. It is my 'Frankenstein' ignition tester! LOL
Thanks much for sharing Bored&Stroked.
I used to help out a guy named Lynn Yakel who was part of the California sports car culture in the '50s and knew Dean Moon, Vic Edelbrock, Stu Hilborn and the drivers like Phil Hill bunch of other names that I forgot. Lynn had a Mercedes 300SL that he bought either new or fairly new. I wish I had thought to ask more questions of him at the time. There was definitely something very special pioneered by those guys. Hotrods are still a thing 70 years later.
I'm sure you cherish your time spent learning from Joe Hunt.

As for Sisler, I think he did get the Ardun running as he sent a letter to renew his subscription for the Allard Owners Club newsletter in 1960 so that was after his Ardun rebuild and before the Cadillac engine. He must have been happy with the car at that time. I'm sure he had some local friends able to help out too. He was active in his sports car club so I'm sure some of the guys took pity with all the issues and helped him sort things out.
52Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 05:40 PM   #86
52Allard

Quote:
RE: Injectors:

The original pump for the Hilborn Ardun injector was a vane type that Stu stopped making or servicing many years ago. It is extremely hard to find one in good working condition, so most folks who happen to have one of these injectors will use a modern pump. Here is what the original pump looked like - you can see the pressure relief valve with the tie wire on it. Modern pumps don't have pressure relief valves in the pump - they are part of the line/plumbing instead (and there are many ways they are implemented) - depending on the injector style, usage, fuel type, etc..

Here is one of the early Ardun injector pumps I have:
Thanks much for the Hilborn fuel injection system info - I haven't been able to find out much about that so really appreciated seeing what it's supposed to look like.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:07 AM   #87
IronFord

@Glennpm thank you for posting the Ardun white pages. I've been looking for them.
IronFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #88
glennpm

You're welcome
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #89
deuce_roadster

I received with my 34 coupe 4 framed pages of the original brochure with data and specs. If I get a chance today, I will photograph them and post in my New Car (to me) album.
I appreciate you sharing your letter. thank you.
If anyone has a legit Zora autograph that they would sell I would be interested in it. Besides the Ardun coupe, I have a 57 FI GM fiberglass car that Zora had a lot to do with.
The previous owner of my 34 coupe (you sharp eyed guys will notice it has 33 doors) told me many years ago he met Zora at an event in CA and got his autograph, but it was nowhere to be found in his stuff.

4 pages of brochure posted in New car to me album. You can zoom them up to read the typewritten parts. I took the pages out of frames to photograph due to glass reflections and see I should have placed them on something flatter. The location where I took the pictures was the best for lighting.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 11-26-2023 at 03:41 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 10:48 AM   #90
Als48

Hi 52 Allard,

I find your Ardun thread very interesting and wondered if you are continuing in your quest to revive the Allard. How's it going?

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:51 PM   #91
52Allard

Apologies for the long delay on updates but yes - following in Sisler's quest to rebuild the engine and car. Still in the parts acquisition mode and did find a C69A block. In a couple of the original owner's letters, Sisler mentioned the car had a C99A block but not sure that was correct since the 99A was a 1939 engine. So, the C69A will have to do for this go around. I do have an angled drive and early Vertex Scintilla magneto but probably one of the F.T. Griswold mags is the right time period but still haven't found one of those yet. I don't think I will mess around with the Hilborn fuel injection since this car is meant for driving around with my wife. I was able to find a good set of original Ardun intake manifolds that the original owner knew weren't very good but that's where I'm going to start. I think I'll use 2 Strombergs instead of the 2 European Solex carbs that originally were on the car.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:55 PM   #92
52Allard

Another project I'm working on is the transmission for the car - perhaps you guys can give me some advice...
Other guys said that English built cars had the serial number stamped on a tag on the firewall and not the transmission. OK no problem, after a year of searching, paying too much and driving 600 miles, I found a no serial number 1939 Ford transmission that was used but in really nice shape. I also found a NOS set of LZ gears and was ready for the swap. I really wanted the transmission to be rebuilt correctly so I sent it to a well known early Ford transmission repair shop for the repairs, talked with the owner and he said he understood what needed to be done and said it was no problem and he could credit my job with any useable parts from the core transmission. So boxed up the trans, new LZ gears and other parts and sent it off to be rebuilt.
When the shop received the transmission, they said it was an early ’39 transmission so needed some additional parts. I didn’t really know the difference between an early and late transmission so said fine, go ahead and rebuild the transmission.
I got a call from the shop owner a month later saying that the transmission was done and none of the parts inside were any good so no credit value for the old parts but I asked to return them anyhow because you never know…
When the transmission was returned, the rebuild shop had swapped my transmission case with someone else’s transmission so now the core that I paid top dollar was gone I and got a common transmission with a big 18-48XXXXX serial number very conspicuously stamped on the top. Also, my very nice '39 shifter lever wasn’t returned and only the old cluster gear was returned. I did call the shop and ask why they rebuilt and sent me someone else’s transmission and I got a page long email that basically said they aren’t going to do anything to make things right.
So after $3,500 in cost plus another $250 that I need to spend to buy a shift lever and 600 miles to pick up the correct core part for my car, I have a regular old Ford transmission. The rebuilt transmission seems OK so I don’t have any complaints about that but it’s just the wrong transmission which really annoys me.

What would you guys do?
Old 01-24-2024, 02:11 PM   #93
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Allard View Post
Apologies for the long delay on updates but yes - following in Sisler's quest to rebuild the engine and car. Still in the parts acquisition mode and did find a C69A block. In a couple of the original owner's letters, Sisler mentioned the car had a C99A block but not sure that was correct since the 99A was a 1939 engine. So, the C69A will have to do for this go around. I do have an angled drive and early Vertex Scintilla magneto but probably one of the F.T. Griswold mags is the right time period but still haven't found one of those yet. I don't think I will mess around with the Hilborn fuel injection since this car is meant for driving around with my wife. I was able to find a good set of original Ardun intake manifolds that the original owner knew weren't very good but that's where I'm going to start. I think I'll use 2 Strombergs instead of the 2 European Solex carbs that originally were on the car.
On the last ARDUN I built just over a year ago the client wanted to run a Vertex Scintillia right angle mag drive the engine is now in an untouched Hotrod built in 1949 lots of patina and history as well. The build was on a 59A block I discovered the right angle Vertex drive angle produced a problem where the mag body is directly in the way of the water pump pulley.

To solve this problem I ended up using a Pounden right angle drive. Using this drive works great since its adjustable you can rotate the mag mount on the front cover so it clears the water pump pulley and fits nicely under the generator with the belt going around everything with no issues. Only drawback to this is the Pounden is not easy to find.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 03:55 PM   #94
alchemy

Regarding your transmission, I would let all of us know the rebuilder so we will know what kind of person he is.

As for the no number case, any three speed transmission from an F-1 pickup from about 48-53 will be the same case, but no serial number ever stamped on it. A good source for the proper shifter top casting too.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:58 AM   #95
Als48

52 Allard,

Van Pelt would have been a good alternative for the rebuild and transmission parts from what I've read on FordBarn. We're glad you're back on the Allard project. Keep us updated.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:16 AM   #96
deuce_roadster

I think it would be a service to all here for us to know who NOT to send or recommend for transmission work. If you are afraid of repercussions for dissing someone, even if a member here, please just give us the address where you sent the trans to.
We all need to know who is that dishonest.
It sounds like you got back a trans with the earlier style gears and inferior synchronizers and they kept the good parts for themselves, and on top of that they charged you.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 10:26 AM   #97
tubman

I agree. If that happened, the perpetrator should be outed.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:19 PM   #98
Bored&Stroked

RE: On the last ARDUN I built just over a year ago the client wanted to run a Vertex Scintillia right angle mag drive the engine is now in an untouched Hotrod built in 1949 lots of patina and history as well. The build was on a 59A block I discovered the right angle Vertex drive angle produced a problem where the mag body is directly in the way of the water pump pulley.

There are different Vertex angle drives - with different clocking angles on them. I've seen some that really clock the mag over toward the Driver's side - probably designed for a race-only application and a V8-60. I probably have 3 different configurations in the various angle-drives I have.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:30 PM   #99
Ronnieroadster

There are different Vertex angle drives - with different clocking angles on them. I've seen some that really clock the mag over toward the Driver's side - probably designed for a race-only application and a V8-60. I probably have 3 different configurations in the various angle-drives I have.[/QUOTE]

Good to know the ones I have are all towards the driver side lucky me
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:45 PM   #100
52Allard

Thanks much, I really appreciate that tip. I'll be on the lookout.