Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: Could be a scammer,

I'll spell it out. If anyone in the UK says they have desirable or rare parts for sale, and offers them to someone in the USA, they are lying. Here in the UK there are people that do have rare and desirable parts, and there are always more people in the UK that will buy these rare and desirable parts the moment the person that has them decides to let something go.

Rare and desirable parts are a valued commodity here in the UK. People here in the UK buy parts FROM the USA, we don't sell parts TO the USA. We don't have enough to go around, let alone a surplus to sell back at bargain prices.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #22
Henry Hopper

Hi Ian,I live in Blackpool.I have just checked out the postcode and it comes up as 90 ,Sandgate.If you just type in the postcode to GOOGLE, it gives you the address and house number.My daughter actually has friend who lives on Sandgate at 24.

Ithink you'll find that scammers don't give out an address that can be checked out....I just had a guy from the USA, supposedly,offering me a hood,grill and rear fenders for a 32roadster for 750dollars from a car he was "parting out".....when he sent me pictures of the car that he was breaking, it was almost laughable, it was a picture of a beaten up old late forties sedan of non.Ford origins sat in a field somewhere...his "name"was Patric Marshall......these people will ruin the Internet.
Henry Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #23
Henry Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I'll spell it out. If anyone in the UK says they have desirable or rare parts for sale, and offers them to someone in the USA, they are lying. Here in the UK there are people that do have rare and desirable parts, and there are always more people in the UK that will buy these rare and desirable parts the moment the person that has them decides to let something go.

Rare and desirable parts are a valued commodity here in the UK. People here in the UK buy parts FROM the USA, we don't sell parts TO the USA. We don't have enough to go around, let alone a surplus to sell back at bargain prices.

Mart.
Mart,true to a point, but people here do not usually like paying what they are worth.....if you advertise ,say a PM7,(which I had recently)at the price that they go for in America,over here, you would not stand a chance of getting it.If you need to checkout the seller, get name and address and a picture of ,say,his driving licence or utility bill, then hit google and search, ...I have searched out all the people who recently contacted me about the parts I advertised for....you can find out lots even criminal court appearances and public records listings.

At the end of the day, you have to make a decision whether to pull the trigger or not.......there is a lot of trust involved on these deals.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #24
FRITZ47

Someone good with photo shop could probably add a picture of a penny to most any picture, but still a great idea to ask that this be done. Should it be a U.S. penny or UK penny? LOL

In the past, I have had some scammers from UK when I ran "want to buy" ads - most were from London. This sure makes it difficult for anyone in the UK to sell us anything.

Last winter I had a guy in Norway come up with a '47 Ford speedometer in Kilometers, and he happened to be coming to FL for vacation the same week my wife and I were in FL He drove 3.5 hours (each way) from the Orlando area to bring the speedometer, and we met for lunch in Naples, FL and made the exchange (I bought the lunch). I doubt if most purchases from Europe will be handled in that matter.

Why did I need a '47 speedo in Kilometers? I bought the nice '47 Ford Convertible shown in my avatar at an Ohio auction with documentation that the car was sold new to the American Embassy in China, where the car was driven about 32,000 Kilomoters. Upon its return a new MPH speedometer was installed and driven about 11,000 miles. The original speedometer was in a box in the trunk and was later lost at work. To make up a sign to tell the history of the car I wanted to mount the original KPH speedometer on the sign, so was hoping to locate one. After a search of two years, finally heard from the guy in Norway and I now have a KPS speedometer for the sign.

Happy Ending - in cleaning up my old car stock in my warehouse this summer, found the original KPH speedometer in a box behind another box! I couldn't believe it. Someone (not me) just brought the box to the warehouse and shoved it on the back of a shelf, where it later bacame "buried". Since then I enclosed the entire old car parts area with metal screening with a 3' x 3' x 3' metal box by the locked door and a sign - "Place incoming parts here - do not stock". It took me days to organize the area and I don't want anyone other than myself and my son to do us any favors and stack stuff just anywhere.

Attached are pictures of both speedometers and some other pictures of my 47 convertible. One picture shows the car at work in our car musuem.

Fritz47
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47-KPH Speedo1.jpg (95.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 47-Speedo.MPH1.jpg (109.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 47-Ford-B.jpg (69.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 47-Ford-H.jpg (72.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 47-Fork-J.jpg (63.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 47 - TP Car Museum1.jpg (63.0 KB, 12 views)
FRITZ47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
Ian NZ

Hi Henry, Thanks for the information, I thought it was unusual for someone to give me his address too, and he asked for my phone number which was allready on the subject line on the email and when he said he had the dual gauge that I advertised for in the N.Z. Vintage car magazine with a photo of it and my email address plus phone number. He also remarked that he had a lot of other 1932 parts so I became very suspicious. I only advertised in this local magazine to see what I could find in N.Z. I know this Magazine is available to members overseas.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #26
Henry Hopper

Ian,out of curiosity, I will go and knock on the door of 90 Sandgate and see who lives there.when I'm passing.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #27
Ian NZ

That would be interestng. I feel sorry for Doug Wescott who's name the scammer is using .I checked on the 'Mr Chip' Web site at Lancashire and Dog Wescott is a 'Mr Chip' windscreen repair agent with his own legitlmate email address and the return email address for the scammer is just Doug Wescott which would be different.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #28
Henry Hopper

Ian,I called at the address this lunchtime......you were right to be suspicious.The house is a quaint little place and it looks like an old lady lives there,there was no answer at the door so I tried next door and he said that no one of that name lives there....the people who live at number 90 are called Webster.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #29
Ian NZ

Henry, Thanks very much for going out of your way and finding out this information.
One so has to be so carefull when sourcing parts for our vehicles.
I will not be placing a wanted to buy advertisment in that N.Z. Vintage car magazine again as this is the second time this has happened to me. It makes it a bit hard for you people over there regarding parts too. Thank goodness we have a Forum like this to sort things out, I was looking forward to someone from U.K replying to my query and thanks to all the replys.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #30
Stevef

This Wescott guy is a scammer...he now sends a copy of his UK ID....very smooth...beware
Stevef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #31
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
Henry, Thanks very much for going out of your way and finding out this information.
One so has to be so carefull when sourcing parts for our vehicles.
I will not be placing a wanted to buy advertisment in that N.Z. Vintage car magazine again as this is the second time this has happened to me. It makes it a bit hard for you people over there regarding parts too. Thank goodness we have a Forum like this to sort things out, I was looking forward to someone from U.K replying to my query and thanks to all the replys.
Aint the Barn a great place? There's always going to be the odd rotten apple, but by and large a great bunch of people. You have helped me out, as has John Mason, and the knowledge being shared by all is fantastic. Just one big happy fambly.......
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #32
Ian NZ

There is an old saying 'Its not what you know its who you know' that helps you.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #33
paleot

I posted a want to buy 53 ford grill and pass door lower spear, got a response I have part/list you look for and the mans name I emailed back for photos and address for shipping! I never heard from him again.
paleot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Ian NZ

Was that on this Forum? if so the scammers must keep an eye on this forum as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #35
Plumpcars

They watch every forum. Generally it's a large Nigerian operation. In the UK there are a genuine close knit bunch of rodders/restorers who will always try and help out with any suspect cases.
Plumpcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
Ray Parson

did some checking thats the same guy that had a 34 panel for sale well that verry panel is in MY SHOP he used photos from ebay
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #37
Gumpy

I have found when purchasing parts a request for a phone number will quiet them down,,,scammers often just want your e-mail address so they can open an account in your name......
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote