Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Re: Alternator Bracket

My problem was that the crank and water pump pulley's would not line up, so I ground the alternator mount on the passenger side, and shortened the sleeve that came with the bracket for the driver's side. After that it lined up perfect..Rick

Old 03-28-2005, 09:29 AM   #2

Default Alternator Bracket

I am trying to use Speedway's slingshot alternator bracket on a two belt '50 8BA. The bracket pushes the alternator pulley too far forward; the alternator (ex-generator) belt hits the backside of the fan pulley. Can it be that I am the only one with this problem? What did you do? Dave(Smith)

Old 03-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #3

I haven't tried the fit on a later motor but the slingshot on my '37 motor wouldn't let the pulleys line up. A vendor at the flea market had a gen front plate drilled and tapped to fit the delco bolt pattern. This would line up perfectly, a project I will be doing soon myself.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #4

i tried the steel bracket from speedway for my 8BA 50 car and found it to be not offset correctly. i had to use the aluminum bracket. that one seems to be correct for the belts. the speedway was about 1/2" ofset. i am useing the wide belt pulleys on the 50 sedan and so it ofset both the alternator and fan pulley equily. the aluminum one solved the problem. i did not have the same problem with clearance, just both belts out of alignment with crank pulley(fan) and waterpumps (alternator)..

Old 03-28-2005, 10:32 AM   #5

Try and reverse the alt. pulley,also see if theres a spacer behind it...Just a thought.

Charlie

Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 AM   #6

Rick--

Do you remember how much you ground off the pass-side arm? Eyeballing it, it looks like 3/16 to 1/4 inch which wouldn't leave much stock left on that side of the bracket.

Dave(Smith)