Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2005, 08:17 AM   #1

Default Rough running first few minutes

My (stock) 36 Tudor has developed a strange behavior. The car starts OK but runs very rough, like one or two cylinders are missing. If I keep it running by working the throttle, it will eventually and very suddenly smooth out (3-5 minutes). Once it smoothes out it runs great and I don't have anymore problems until it sits long enough to cool down. I have shut it down while still missing and checked the plugs and found a couple of them are wet. Those cylinders are obviously not firing until things heat up a little. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

truk (Kurt backwards)

Old 03-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #2

Default Re: Rough running first few minutes

You have a fouled spark plug problem that clears up after the motor warms up. This is a common situation. Could be bad (or old) plugs or plug wires that are arking a little. Try switching the plugs around in different cylinders to see if the same plugs are fouled or if the same cylinders are fouled. If the same plugs are fouled, the plugs are at fault. If the same cylinders are fouled, the problem lies with the wires or some other problem on those particular cylinders. Try running the engine in complete darkness when it is missing to see if you can spot some arking. .....Jay

Old 03-28-2005, 11:44 AM   #3

I had one that ran rought for a few minutes and then cleared up, turns out OUT IT WAS A

Old 03-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #4

leaking head gasket, pull the ign. wire to keep it from starting, turn engine over, pull plugs, if wet you have a leak into the cyl. THANKS