Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
fiddlybits

Default Fan Blade Replacement

Is it possible to change the fan without moving the radiator?

I was thinking that maybe by unbolting the water pump it might provide enough lateral movement to make up for the limited axial space (about 1" from nut to radiator) and allow me to sneak the fan and water pump out, as a movement, without moving the radiator.

Has anyone tried this?

( I really don't want to take the radiator off .....again.)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #2
DK1931

Default Re: Fan Blade Replacement

We loosened the radiator and tilted it forward and we got mine out. It takes 2 people to do it and it was very close.
DK1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

No free lunch. for the radiators sake and your knuckles cut a piece of cardboard the size of the inner side of the radiator, and install the cardboard before you start. by the time you loosen the fender bolts and the light bar and the 2 radiator mount bolts you are halfway toward removing the radiator. if you don't have the look alike bolts that replace the 4 studs for the water pump then you need to pull the radiator. This is a good opportunity to rebuild the waterpump. after you go to the trouble of pulling the waterpump then rebuild it. you will thank me later for this cheap advice.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
springerpete

I replaced my fan by only removing the water pump assembly, upper hose and the fan belt. I do suggest you put the cardboard behind the radiator to protect the fins. BUT, I was replacing a tired 4 bade fan with a new 2 blade. To help the process I hack sawed enough of 2 opposite blades off so I could bend them off the hub, then the rest of the fan and the wp came off easily.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
dlfrisch

I'm also, new at the Model A stuff.
How I did mine:
First drain down some of the coolant (lower the level below the upper radiator hose). Loosen and lift off of the hood rod bolts and lift them off of the radiator shroud bracket, loosen the upper radiator hose clamp (break the stuck hose loose with large water pump pliers), protect the front of the radiator and pull the radiator forward out towards the fender to fender light bar. Maker sure the electrical wires feeding the front lights are loose and they have enough slack. On the old fan pulley - take the cotter key out and remove the nut holding the existing fan / pulley onto the water pump. Tap the old pulley off (watch the shaft key). Bolt the four blade fan onto the new pulley, slide it on to the water pump shaft and reassemble everything all back together.
Dave
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
larrys40

It depends on if you have a 2- blade or 4-blade fan. if you have a 4-blade ( unless the blades are bolt on) you will have to remove the radiator. I have actually done it once with a radiator on but that's another story. If it's a stock 2-blade fan ( original or repro alum) you can/should be able to remove with the radiator on. You can try first with the hoses/radiator in place. Remove the 4-nuts and pull out and up with the fan and water pump toward the upper tank. If there's not enough clearance I would try pulling the radiator forward. Loosen the front nuts holding the hood rods to the radiator, slip out and place down below radiator mount bracket , and then with some help get the hood off unless it's already off.
loosen upper radiator hose clamps, make sure hose is free and have someone pull radiator forward at the top. This is assuming you have the correct spring mounts on the radiator. I have done this numerous times with success.

Most of the time it will give you more room to remove the pump and fan on a 2-blade. As I said before, in many cases you don't have to do this... but if there's not enough clearance it gives you the extra little bit. It's absolutely NOT necessary to remove a headlight bar and headlights to remove a radiator. You don't know what you're getting into in doing that on some cars. Also, no need for the newfangled studnut combos. If you have the original studs on fine. The do not effect the clearance. It's the impeller that's the issue with that, not the studs. I've never removed one that the studs were the problem.

Best of luck,
Larry S
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
peters180a/170b

Bratton's part # 12300 water pump mounting stud bolts . $6.50 .... easy off and on. Just passing a idea.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peters180a/170b View Post
Bratton's part # 12300 water pump mounting stud bolts . $6.50 .... easy off and on. Just passing a idea.
and they can fool a judge
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
Growley bear

To replace the H2o pump on my model A W/four blade fan I have to remove the radiator shroud, remove or disconnect anything attached to the radiator including the two bolts W/springs at the bottom then tilt the radiator forward until it touches the headlight bar and there is just enough room to sneak the pump out. And I also shield the radiator with a piece of cardboard. Good luck,

Chet
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growley bear View Post
To replace the H2o pump on my model A W/four blade fan I have to remove the radiator shroud, remove or disconnect anything attached to the radiator including the two bolts W/springs at the bottom then tilt the radiator forward until it touches the headlight bar and there is just enough room to sneak the pump out. And I also shield the radiator with a piece of cardboard. Good luck,

Chet
I do the same on my 28, but I don't remove the bottom bolts and springs.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
fiddlybits

FWIW... to replace a 2 blade fan with a 2 blade fan... minimally you must release the top of the radiator. (hose and supports) There is enough flex in the lower mounts/springs to allow the radiator to be tilted.
With the radiator tilted forward to the light support bar there is enough room for the water pump and fan to be moved forward on the studs, tilted up (fan in horizontal position) and removed. It is very easy to control all the parts by yourself if you work from in front of the radiator. Left elbow controls radiator and both hands can be used to guide the fan+pump out and in.

now.... if it would only warm up enough for the engine to get hot....
Old 04-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Brentwood Bob

What did you do with the hood?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

With cardboard shielding, the BLACK 6 blade fan will flex enough to git it out, IF you have the FAKE studs & tilt the radumator aginst the light bar. (The radumator rods will hold the hood up O.K.) OH! I found Vermin's hood whin I VACUUMED under the bed---Bill W.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
fiddlybits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
What did you do with the hood?
Hood? Hood? I knew there was something I forgot.

Ok, so technically two more screws and removal of hood................

(I suppose you wouldn't believe I just held it up with my head?)
Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Brentwood Bob

Hard for me to remove and reinstall the hood by myself, even after I rigged up a engine hoist. scratched both the hood and the cowl band. Much later after the experience I learnd others remove the rear clip on the gas tank to free up the hood. My luck and I would break off the screws in the bracket under the clip.
Bob
Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Hard for me to remove and reinstall the hood by myself, even after I rigged up a engine hoist. scratched both the hood and the cowl band. Much later after the experience I learnd others remove the rear clip on the gas tank to free up the hood. My luck and I would break off the screws in the bracket under the clip.
Bob
I take my hood apart & take it off/on, 1 part at a time, since the Dog is too short to help me Bill W.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 PM   #17
Brentwood Bob

Bill, my huckster has a late 30-31 cowl, and is different from your 28-9 coupe.
Either one is difficult, I would say. Too bad the dog was made without a good pair of hands.
Bob
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Bill, my huckster has a late 30-31 cowl, and is different from your 28-9 coupe.
Either one is difficult, I would say. Too bad the dog was made without a good pair of hands.
Bob
Man! if he had THUMBS, he'd be a force to reckon with & I figgered out, that if he had FATTER lips, he could tell LOOOONG drawn out stories-LOL But then, he could SQUEEL on me------------- Bill W.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
msbrown6

Hey guys - on a related note, I can’t get the fan blade and belt housing off the water pump. Any secret way to get it off? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3C70F40-ABFE-4000-87EA-8DF42EE73F1B.jpg (64.1 KB, 116 views)
msbrown6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
Brentwood Bob

Turn the nut over put a bolt in until it touches the shaft hold the water pump by the fan blade and give the bolt head several wacks with a ball peen hammer.