Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
Ken Crans

Default Sequence for tightening of fan belts 8BA

Having trouble getting right tension of both belts, these brackets are a b>>>> to get right, Help! lol
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
RalphG

Default Re: Sequence for tightening of fan belts 8BA

Can't help you but I know what you are going through. Had a heck of a time getting both belts tight on the 52 Merc. So long ago now that I can't remember just what sequence I used. I think it involved pry bars and blocks and some blood.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

I like to have a friend help but i use a pry bar to carefully put tension on the belts, careful not to over tighten. Then have your helper tighten the nut.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
skidmarks

If its on a dirty motor or there is paint or rust on any of the piece like the square washer. Take all of it off and clean it. Make sure there are no burrs on the fan bracket, generator mount or the hardware. Then its a lot easier
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Phil Gillespie

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...belt+adjusting

Hope this works. Some good ideas and tools for thisjob.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
tubman

There was a thread about this same subject a week ago or so. Someone says they used their "Cherry Picker" to help tighten the belts. It sounded kind of cumbersome, but I tried it and it worked good! If you have one, I'd use it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
Barry-ct

When I did mine a couple of years ago, I recall having a hard time. I ended up tightening the fan belt firat and doing the waterpump/gen belt second. I used a bar under the front of the generator carefully to lift it. It's hard to get them both equally tight, or a better word would be miserable to do it. My front sheetmetal is not on, so it was a little easier than having the nose of the truck on. Good luck!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
rotorwrench

I always uncradle the generator and tilt it forward & down to remove the belt. When adjusting, I adjust the cradle up or down a bit without the generator, tighten it up, then pull the generator back into the cradle to see if it's tight enough. On dual narrow belts like I have on my 51 Mercs, I tighten the generator belt first since it has to be fixed before you can adjust the fan. The use of a well placed fulcrum tool (a cut down wrench) works well to lever for the belt tension on the fan bracket. The tool idea has been posted in a previous thread and it works well.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
Old Henry

I tighten the generator/pump belt first by inserting my cresent wrench handle under the generator right against the front bracket so the end is on the intake manifold bracket under the front of the generator (see photo) then push down the end of the wrench to "pry" the generator up as tight as I want the belt and hold it there while tightening the bolt that holds it in place. It takes very little effort with that much leverage. No special jig or tool required. Just simple leverage. That belt is the more critical for tightness since it runs both water pumps and the generator. The fan belt I tighten by just pulling up on the fan while tightening one of the bolts that holds it in place. Again, doesn't take much effort to just lift the fan up. It's not heavy like the generator is. Then I can quit pulling up on the fan and tighten the other bolt. I don't think the tightness of that belt is as critical as the other that I get tighter by "prying" the generator up.

As Seth said, do not overtighten. I had a mechanic overtighten mine and burned out my front generator bearing.

Ford's instructions:

Old 08-02-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
rotorwrench

8BA generators are a big heavy lump. The mount cradle is hard to get under. I wish they were as easy as the early types although I've seen a busted generator mount on one of the aftermarket aluminum manifolds where a guy got a bit carried away with the amount of pressure he was applying to tighten the belt there. It was from an old 81A motor. It depends on how well the casting was designed for sure and some of the aluminum designs weren't all that good in that respect.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
skidmarks

Too tight will make a worn pump leak. Snug is all it needs on a wide belt.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #12
Ken Crans

Tried to do tonight by myself with no avail... You really could use 2 people. lol I'll try again tomorrow.
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #13
B-O-B

ZA good crow bar is your friend. Had a 48 vert when I was a lad of 18 & never had a problem tightening those belts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48ford convt.JPG (38.2 KB, 6 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #14
transbytip

This is my red neck way of tighting the belts a bit cumbersom but it worked for me easier if you have hoist but not ness.get a couple step ladders put one on each side place a long 2by 6 on edge across the apporiate steps vice grip the board so it stays on edge , now place a ratchet strap under front of gen.over the board hook strap ends together&start ratcheting or if you have car on hoist just lower hoist untill proper tension on belt, It worked for me Cliff
transbytip is offline   Reply With Quote