Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #41

Default Re: flathead 60

Dale Fairfax stated;

"You want to run one on the street in a car weighing double (or more) what the race car did with only half the horsepower and you don't want to tear it down for "freshening" everytime you turn around. It has less low end torque than a Model A 4 banger and off- idle torque is what makes a car drivable on the street. I submit that after you do every "streetable" hop up trick you can think of, you will NOT enjoy driving anything more than a stripped "T" speedster with that engine. I'm sure, for 4 large, you can find a good full-size (239-255) Flathead which you'll be a lot happier with".

Everyone has their opinion, but other than needing new head gaskets, I'm still running the original V8 60 engine in my 37 Tudor and have NOT had to tear it down for "freshening". And yes, I have an 85 in my 38 Coupe, but I couldn't be any happier than every time I prefer to drive my V8 60 and all the attention it gets over the more common (239-255's).

If it was only about going faster, you might as well get a modern small block....

3738 - Owner of (5) V8 60's and loving it!
3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #42
GSCOV

I have one I will be selling. Complete engine, trans, radiator, exhaust and related parts. Re-powering a 1940 Ford pickup. This all has 42,000 original miles and runs like a top, super quiet, shifts like butter. $3500 Firm. Still in vehicle, come and drive. Greg in CT. (860) 913-4680
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #43
Dale Fairfax

If you already have one (or more) and you love it (them) for the novelty, fine. Have at it. But the original poster said he had a chance to buy one for a "rod". I still don't believe it's agood choice for that purpose.

As far as my bit about "freshening", I'm guilty of a grammatical or syntax error: What I meant was that the racers who ran their "60"s at 5000 R.P.M. race after race had to freshen them every couple weeks. I doubt you run yours that hard even occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3738 View Post
Dale Fairfax stated;

"You want to run one on the street in a car weighing double (or more) what the race car did with only half the horsepower and you don't want to tear it down for "freshening" everytime you turn around. It has less low end torque than a Model A 4 banger and off- idle torque is what makes a car drivable on the street. I submit that after you do every "streetable" hop up trick you can think of, you will NOT enjoy driving anything more than a stripped "T" speedster with that engine. I'm sure, for 4 large, you can find a good full-size (239-255) Flathead which you'll be a lot happier with".

Everyone has their opinion, but other than needing new head gaskets, I'm still running the original V8 60 engine in my 37 Tudor and have NOT had to tear it down for "freshening". And yes, I have an 85 in my 38 Coupe, but I couldn't be any happier than every time I prefer to drive my V8 60 and all the attention it gets over the more common (239-255's).

If it was only about going faster, you might as well get a modern small block....

3738 - Owner of (5) V8 60's and loving it!
Dale Fairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
fritzz13

thanks for all the input guys.i know some of you disagree about this engine but i am not after big hp.i been there and done that in my younger days.i have decided to purchase the engine and plan on putting it into my 28 coupe.would i be able to keep the stock running gear or will have to make some changes,any info will help,thanks guys.
fritzz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #45
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzz13 View Post
would i be able to keep the stock running gear or will have to make some changes,any info will help,thanks guys.
Post Edit: i am too poor to afford a V8 but i have heard from people that the early V8 transmission bolts to the 28 driveshaft, not the V8 to the 28 bellhousing as this post previously said. Hope that was helpful...

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable

Last edited by dumb person; 01-31-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: remembered things wrongly & had to correct it to be more correct.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 AM   #46

Here 's a neat V8 60 with Ardun OHV heads....

The Roy Brizio Street Rods-built ’27 track nose roadster of John Mumford is the 2013 Grand National Roadster Show winner crowned America’s Most Beautiful Roadster [AMBR]. This is a first for Mumford [though he owns the Ala Kart AMBR winner from the 50s], a second AMBR win for Roy’s shop, and the third AMBR win in the Brizio family as Roy’s father Andy won the award in 1970. Powered by a V8-60 with an extremely rare Ardun overhead conversion, the roadster was originally started by drag racer Kelly Brown many years ago. The nose, tail pan and belly pan are the work of tin bending master Steve Davis, with assist over the years by SoCal Speed Shop and Pete Eastwood. After being sold to Mumford, the decision was made to put to use one of the two sets of V8-60 Ardun heads collecting dust in his large collection of vintage speed equipment. Brizio’s shop finished the car, with upholstery by Sid Chavers. This is a unique AMBR winner as it is the first to be made up entirely of vintage components, with nothing on the car dating after about 1952. A couple of the judges HOT ROD talked to said it is not so much a statement that vintage is the new trend as it was the car best meeting the criteria of “beautiful.” We’ll see next year if this signals a trend toward strictly vintage AMBR winners or not.

3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #47
fritzz13

my 60
fritzz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:58 AM   #48
Bassman/NZ

That's purdy!
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #49