Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #1
Old Newbie

Default Four-Ways Work, Turn Signals Don't !!!

Finished first time wiring on a 6 volt, positive ground coupe. Incandescent bulbs in cowl lights as parking lights, LED bumper mount blinkers in front, LED tail lights in the rear. All new from Snyders. Parking lights in the cowl and rear work beautifully. Brake lights work beautifully. Emergency flashers work beautifully. Blinkers don't work at all. I have the 6 ohm resistors installed. Using the 6 volt, BV535 flasher included with the Signal Stat 900 switch. I've read a thousand posts on turn signals and LED lights but have not seen this issue discussed. Any ideas? I've learned so much from this forum over the years I'm sure someone can help. Thanks to all!
Old Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: Four-Ways Work, Turn Signals Don't !!!

I recently installed a signalstat 800 and had issues. Turned out to be a ground.

Check your grounds to the blinker wires, double check the wiring for the blinkers. really odd that the 4 way flashers work but the blinkers dont.

Also, give Snyders tech support a call.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Herb Concord Ca

First 6 ohms is too high, are you sure they are 6 ohms? You should use two 1 ohm resistors, one for the right side and one for the left. Best if they are installed in the wires going to the front flashers, the resistors are wired from these wires to ground.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #4
Old Newbie

Herb, Yes I'm sure they are 6 ohm. That's what all the suppliers seem to be recommending. They are wired, one each, to the brake / turn signal wire from each LED tail light and then grounded at the tail light housing. I agree it seems odd that the four way flashers work but not individual blinkers. Hoping some one has an idea ...
Old 09-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #5
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Newbie View Post
Herb, Yes I'm sure they are 6 ohm. That's what all the suppliers seem to be recommending. They are wired, one each, to the brake / turn signal wire from each LED tail light and then grounded at the tail light housing. I agree it seems odd that the four way flashers work but not individual blinkers. Hoping some one has an idea ...

I’m thinking the four way flashers work because the 4 lights together consume enough power to make your thermal flasher unit work correctly. Just two lights on the circuit are not consuming enough power to make your thermal flasher happy. I had a similar issue when I went to a Signal Stat with LED tail lights.

I believe Patrick L recommended an Ideal 535 flasher on eBay. It helped my situation, but didn’t totally fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
Patrick L.

What do you mean by blinkers not working ? They don't flash ? Or they don't light up ?

I'll assume the lights light, won't flash.

LEDs don't have enough draw to fire a thermal flasher. So either higher candle power front bulbs need to be used along with an older 535 thermal flasher [ new flashers are poor quality], or, if LEDs just have to be used for the fronts then an electronic 6v correct ground flasher could be used.

Electronic flashers years ago weren't available in 6v, apparently now they are and should probably work.

I don't use resistors, never found a need for them.

Last edited by Patrick L.; 09-13-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #7
old31

I forgot until shew mentioned it. I had to change flashers for the signalstat to work vs the flasher that came with the unit.

This is what you should use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Prong-Tur...QAAOSw~-dfKF6L
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Old Newbie

Thanks for the ideas! Patrick L., no, the lights don't light at all. One instantaneous quick flash on whatever side is activated (in the rear flashers only, not in the front), then nothing. I also have no pilot or indicator light on the stalk, whether the four ways are active or a turn signal is active. Don't know if the two things are related or not. I've read several threads on the need for electronic flashers. I guess I'll try that next. Have to wonder why the vendors continue to use thermal ones if they don't work as intended.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #9
Old Newbie

Just checked the flasher recommended that's available on Ebay. It seems to be the same as the one I'm using. Mine says BV535 not 535. All the other markings are the same. 6 volt, 32 CP. Is there any way to tell if they are the same?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #10
jrelliott

It seems counter productive that you have to install led lights then have to install resistors to get them to work with a thermal flasher. I installed LED turn signal bulbs, but could not find a suitable electronic flasher that would work properly. Back to incadescent bulbs
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
Badpuppy

A 6 ohm resistor should pull 1 amp, which should activate a thermal flasher, but 3 ohms/2A would make it more certain. Try paralleling the 2 6 ohms on one side and see if that side works.

I suspect the reason the pilot doesn't work is that the switches come with a 12V bulb. You need to replace it with a #44 or #51 6V bulb.

The e-flashers seem to have problems with the engine running, apparently due to electrical radiation from the coil high tension side. I think it's more likely caused by reverse "backflash" from the coil, which could be cured with an inline diode to the flasher.

Last edited by Badpuppy; 09-13-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #12
Old Newbie

Thanks Bad Puppy. I'll look into the bulb idea tomorrow. Found the problem with the turn signals and I'm almost embarrassed to share it, but I've learned so much on this forum I need to share the bad as well as the good. I trusted the small plastic clips that came with the resistors to make contact with the wire leading to the tail lights and the ground I added. Decided to wire them direct for grins and presto: instant turn signals. Still no indicator light but as Bad Puppy suggested, that might be a bulb issue. Thanks to all!!
Old 09-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #13
Patrick L.

Good. Glad you figured it out. Your problem didn't make sense until now.

The indicator bulb is/should be 12v. It should still work but very dimly. Some of the Signal Stat units are full of grease and cleaning it will usually correct that problem. But to get a brighter light the bulb should be changed as Badpuppy mentioned.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote