Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #381
The Brassworks

Default Re: Engine temp rises when I get to cruise speed

It is a good article.
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #382
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brassworks View Post
Gentlemen, Joe is emailing me again for suggestions. Since what I say is not heard or understood and what I type is pasted here, I am eliminating a step.

Joe had his block boiled and hot tanked his radiator. I am not sure why but hat had it hotanked a second time and yet somehow he still still saw crud. His head bolts leaked but luckily, they “stopped leaking on their own”. Joe enjoys the fellowship and the esprit de corps of the virtual coffee shop found on the Ford Barn Forum. Its a great space for him explore his ideas out loud. Here is an article that may help you and Joe further explore the mysteries of combustion gases and flathead design https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/10...-the-flathead/

With regard to the radiator; in July he had 30-40 degree temperature drops in his radiator with his newest fan modifications. After minor changes in August and September e.g change of coolant composition, changed thermostats from 160 to 160 with holes, discovered thermostats were 180 not 160, discovered water pump was speedway not skip haney, had pumps rebuilt, added a larger recovery tank, discovered air in his system and changed a rear end. Other than these minor changes everything was exactly the same but he is apparently back at 205 on the highway for limited times. Albeit better than the 210 and 220 he saw with his OE radiator it not sufficient for Joe. I have a far better understanding of the situation but I am out of ideas related to radiators beyond get a bigger radiator.
Lets get something straight so everyone can understand.

First off, the reason I had to go through all of this was to satisfy you because you wouldn't own up to the fact that the radiator is too small for my set up. You knew EXACTLY what engine I had when I ordered the radiator, but made no suggestions and then told me you assumed I had no room for a bigger core. As for emailing you for suggestions this morning, was it not you that said I need a bigger radiator a few posts ago?? I will copy and paste my email to you which simply said

Lee,
What's your suggestion for the radiator?
Thanks,
Joe

That's it!! Don't assume, again, that I hot tanked the radiator for a second time because I saw crud coming out of it because that's not what happened. Don't put words in my mouth or try to guess what type of person I am. You don't know anything about me. You do, however keep dodging the questions I asked you three times

Will you make good on the $255 repair I had to make to your top tank mount coming apart with 10 miles on the radiator??

Are you going to make good on this radiator??

As for the rest of the people here that keep telling me "I told you needed a bigger radiator, etc, I can't be expected to take anything for gospel without going through all the possible questions and trying to troubleshoot all the possibilities.
Now that all has been exhausted, everyone, including myself, agrees I need a bigger radiator, but we already knew that.

So Lee, I ask you again,
Are you going to make good on the radiator repair and the radiator??
wash, rinse, repeat
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #383
19Fordy

Joe, I humbly suggest that you are not enhancing your situation if you continue to aire your argument with Brassworks on any public forum. Give Lee a call, negotiate the price and have him build you the custom radiator you need.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:25 PM   #384
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Joe, I humbly suggest that you are not enhancing your situation if you continue to aire your argument with Brassworks on any public forum. Give Lee a call, negotiate the price and have him build you the custom radiator you need.
That's exactly why I emailed him this morning 19Fordy. I feel I need to let everyone here know what's going on with this situation.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #385
jrvariel48

Let me say that I appreciate everyone's input on all the questions I ask here. It's helped me trough everything I don't know about the cars. There's a learning curve that not all of us have gotten to yet, be patient with us. I'm sorry I come off unappealing to some people, that's not who I am, but I also don't like being attacked verbally or to have people tell me what type of person I am. My apologies to all
Old 10-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #386
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvariel48 View Post
That's exactly why I emailed him this morning 19Fordy. I feel I need to let everyone here know what's going on with this situation.
Joe:
Even though it may vent your frustration, there's no compelling need to keep letting everyone know about your situation with Brassworks. The reputation of their company is excellent and will continue to be so despite your current situation. If you can convince Brassworks to build you the 4 core custom radiator you desire, you will end up a happy camper as you coolly motor down the road.

To convince Brassworks, reinstall the Ebay alum. radiator and see if you run cool again. That way, you know the Brassworks radiator is not applicable to your cooling needs. This will strengthen your case and probably sway Brassworks to build you another radiator at a discounted price.

If you were the Brassworks representative, wouldn't you first ask the customer to reinstall the original alum. radiator as a baseline for remediation?

Hope it works out well for you.
Old 10-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #387
jrvariel48

Quote:
Joe:
Even though it may vent your frustration, there's no compelling need to keep letting everyone know about your situation with Brassworks. The reputation of their company is excellent and will continue to be so despite your current situation. If you can convince Brassworks to build you the 4 core custom radiator you desire, you will end up a happy camper as you coolly motor down the road.

To convince Brassworks, reinstall the Ebay alum. radiator and see if you run cool again. That way, you know the Brassworks radiator is not applicable to your cooling needs. This will strengthen your case and probably sway Brassworks to build you another radiator at a discounted price.

If you were the Brassworks representative, wouldn't you first ask the customer to reinstall the original alum. radiator as a baseline for remediation?

Hope it works out well for you.
As usual, great advice! Thank you 19Fordy. I agree 100% and installing the ebay radiator is the next step for sure.
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 10-15-2022, 07:44 AM   #388
Bored&Stroked

From my perspective, I don't think Lee needs to be convinced that Joe needs a bigger radiator - he said so himself. Why go through all the trouble to prove something that everybody already agrees on?

The real question is can Joe and Lee work out a deal between them that solves the problem in a manner they can both get behind. Obviously, we'd all prefer that, but it isn't our car, nor our business (nor our money). That is a one-on-one conversation that doesn't need a public forum to debate it and whatever the $$$ are, is frankly none of our dang business anyway.

Joe and Lee need to have a conversation and hash that out - or not. Once Joe knows if he's getting a new radiator from Lee (or not), then the next steps become clear.

He either gets a new radiator from Lee, or he gets one from somebody else - that's it.

After 388 posts, there isn't more to discuss and ponder, we've all done as much as we can.

I wish them both the best . . .

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #389
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
From my perspective, I don't think Lee needs to be convinced that Joe needs a bigger radiator - he said so himself. Why go through all the trouble to prove something that everybody already agrees on?

The real question is can Joe and Lee work out a deal between them that solves the problem in a manner they can both get behind. Obviously, we'd all prefer that, but it isn't our car, nor our business (nor our money). That is a one-on-one conversation that doesn't need a public forum to debate it and whatever the $$$ are, is frankly none of our dang business anyway.

Joe and Lee need to have a conversation and hash that out - or not. Once Joe knows if he's getting a new radiator from Lee (or not), then the next steps become clear.

He either gets a new radiator from Lee, or he gets one from somebody else - that's it.

After 388 posts, there isn't more to discuss and ponder, we've all done as much as we can.

I wish them both the best . . .

B&S
We’ll said B&S that’s exactly the direction I’d like to see this go. Thank you for all of your input along the way, it’s much appreciated
Old 10-15-2022, 04:38 PM   #390
Ronnieroadster

Joe just to help guide you a bit. Years ago when my new Custom Auto Radiator needed a repair I had the work done locally and CAR refunded me the cost without any delay.
Hopefully you will be able to get something positive accomplished as well.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:35 AM   #391
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Joe just to help guide you a bit. Years ago when my new Custom Auto Radiator needed a repair I had the work done locally and CAR refunded me the cost without any delay.
Hopefully you will be able to get something positive accomplished as well.
Ronnieroadster
Thanks Ronnie, let's hope for the best. I'd like to come to an agreement and move on with this!
Old 10-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #392
ford38v8

I don’t know why I keep coming back to read more and more of this same never new conversation going on forever.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #393
19Fordy

Joe (and all others) : Here's a very informative thread on HAMB about cooling a flathead.
Long but, worth reading.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...tricks.273117/

Last edited by 19Fordy; 10-17-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2022, 09:32 AM   #394
jrvariel48

Quote:
Joe (and all others) : Here's a very informative thread on HAMB about cooling a flathead.
Long but, worth reading.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...tricks.273117/
Thanks Fordy, I’ll check it out!