Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
Jim M

Default I lost my horn ah... & ga....

My horn was working - not great - but could discern the ah..ou..ga. I decided to take it apart, clean it up, paint it and hopefully make it sound better. I acomplished the "looks great" part but now sounds like a sick pig. I have read many posts regarding the horns and looked at the various UTube demos. When I took it apart it looked OK with the exception that the diaphragm was VERY rusty. I did not sand blast it but used a single edge razor blade to clean off the rust, sanded it lightly with fine sand paper and it cleaned up very good. I was careful and only "lightly" put one coat of black rustoleum on the "out" side and left the "in" side plane. Put new gaskets on each side of the diaphragm and assembled it with all the original parts. Now I am only getting a sick noise. I am confident I have it put back together properly with two exceptions.

1. Does it make a difference how the diaphragm ridge is oriented? I have tried it in two different ways but didn't seem to make any difference. The last video I watched did not mention any particular orientation.

2. How is the horn ratchet tension spring oriented on the ratchet? Does the tip go over the middle of the ratchet, over the "ridges" or some other way?

I am testing this by putting two of the six screws on the diaphragm, NOT putting the cover on, and taking the horn over to the car - putting the two wires in the clips, and pressing the horn button. Could the fact that all the screws are not in and tightened and the cover not on be effecting the way it sounds??

On an very HIGH note last week I took my radiator that had a small leak to a gentleman I have used over 50 years to do radiator repair and he found the overflow tube was leaking and too far down in the radiator. He removed it, cleaned it up, re-soldered it up higher in the fill tube, pressure tested it again and pronounced it well - all for a whopping 20 dollar bill! There still some American Treasures out there but fading fast. And when I removed the radiator I discovered the front engine mount bolt that goes through front cross member had NO spring - just a floppy nut and washer. Put a new spring in and tightened it up and took it for a test ride. The radiator performed wonderful and a lot of the shaking and vibrations went away with the new spring installed.

Once again thanks for all your help!!!!!

Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
JD 1931

Default Re: I lost my horn ah... & ga....

Mine sounded sick until I checked the battery ground to the trans, cleaned it and it now has a nice AHOOGA...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
spdway1

http://modelabasics.com/horn.htm
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
. . . I am testing this by putting two of the six screws on the diaphragm, NOT putting the cover on, and taking the horn over to the car - putting the two wires in the clips, and pressing the horn button. Could the fact that all the screws are not in and tightened and the cover not on be effecting the way it sounds?? . . .
Jim
Woah! That diaphragm is a musical instrument. Imagine a drum skin. You change it out and then only tighten two of the many rim clamps. How does your drum sound? How would a speaker sound if you took a knife and cut most of the cone free on opposite sides?

That horn cover (trumpet) also needs to be in place, bolted down air-tight. Have a clarinet handy? Take off the front trumpet and try playing it.

Sorry, there's no real short-cut in testing the horn.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

and the orientation of the diaphram ridge is important. It has to be oriented so that the motor end can contact correctly. If I remember right the weep holes line up correctly and properly orient the diaphram.

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 08-03-2015 at 06:19 PM. Reason: corrected for bad fingers.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

The diaphragm needs to vibrate by painting it it no longer vibrates like it once did. The diaphragm also does have a correct orientation as the ratchet and the protrusion on the diaphragm must line up correctly.

I just wanted to clarify my painting of the diaphragm statement, too much paint is bad. A thin coat is correct according to the standards as Mot mentions below.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 08-29-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 AM   #7
Bob Bidonde

It no longer pays to restore an original horn because you can buy an exact duplicate that works extremely well from Form A&L. The exception is a horn for a fine point judging vehicle, but for a runner the A&L horn is a great value.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #8
30Ford

perhaps the cover is on too tight ..this will affect how it works ...
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #9
john in illinois

X2 on the A&L horn. They will even provide the correct date tag for your car.

As a side note I drove to Montanna 3 years ago. On the reservation a guy was walking accross the highway not paying attention. I was going 55 and he headed straight in front of my Tudor. I had just put on a new horn and I ogad as fast as I could. He looked up and stopped. The horn was worth it for sure. I think he was hunting turtles and saw one on the highway.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
nstegall

Jim,

Sorry to learn you are having problems with your horn.

Sounds like a small problem which can be corrected by adjusting the adjusting screw until you have the correct sound.

If all else fail, give me a call and I will help you with it or provide me with your number and I will call you for a chat.

My phone number is: 601-469-0878.

Regards,

Neil Stegall
THE HORN MAN
nstegall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #11
mot

heres an original diaphram
it appears to be dipped in enamel
notice the small hole between the screw holes on the left
that hole should be on the bottom to let any water drain out
the second photo shows what happens when the hole (at bottom is orientated wrong
it allows water to remain trapped behind the diaphram and rust through
tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-004S.JPG (25.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (35.8 KB, 52 views)
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #12
glenn in camino

Clean the comutator with acetone , clean out the groves in the comutator with a wood stick. Loosen the adjuster screw and let it spin. Then tighten the adjustment screw a little at a time until it sounds ok.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #13
Jim M

My horn is back in order and sounds great! Thanks to everyone for the great ideas and suggestions. After reading the posts and watching the videos I discovered I had two things wrong - mainly the orientation of the diaphragm. Also I can't believe how dumb I was to NOT put all the bolts back in before testing. The comparison with the drum was super. In any event it now sounds better than ever and looks great too. Thanks again. Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote