Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
GASSERBOB

Default Photos of 28-29 rad.apron and hood shelfs on car or truck

Hi everyone.I was wondering if anyone could post some pictures of your radiator apron and hood shelfs of your 28 -29 model A. That are on your car. Im trying to get mine positioned . So the hood shelfs would fit closer to the apron on the sides.Im using a stamped steel apron. And using the hood shelfs that were on the truck. But I don't think there original. Thank you for any kind of help, Bob...
GASSERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
ericr

Default Re: Photos of 28-29 rad.apron and hood shelfs on car or truck

the repro hood shelves are a mediocre copy of the original design in about all aspects. Unless quality has improved since I got mine, there is way too much metal on them and you have to cut most of the flange off of them on the fender side of the shelf.

if I were you I would place the shelf on its wood blocks without bolting it down and simply see where you have excess metal on the edge facing the fender and be prepared to cut or grind it down, trying to make sure there is slight clearance between the shelf and the fender.

as regards the side of the shelf that buts up along the radiator shell, I simply cut off a swath there to give lots of clearance. it was a tight spot originally and given our fit problems with radiators and shells, I simply chose to open it up there a little.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
wrndln

There are 28 hood shelves/radiator splash aprons and 1929 style hood shelves/radiator splash aprons. The slight differences are hard to notice unless you know what to look for. The differences are shown in the Judging Guidelines. The area of difference is the rollover flange on the inside front of the hood shelves there it goes over the top of the sides of the radiator apron. 28's have about a 3/8" rollover and 29 have about a 3/16" rollover. These dimensions are estimates from what I can remember. The 28 sides of the splash aprons have NO bead on the top. 29's have a bead like on the bottom of the sides. You need to use the same years shelves and aprons to fit properly.
Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
Vern

After installing the hood shelves on my roadster, I understand why Ford did away with them for the '30-'31 cars! They took an incredible amount of effort to get aligned correctly, get the screw through the shelves, the splash apron, the wetting, the frame.....with help from two good friends. I could not have done it alone. And I was using originals, not repops. I collected hood shelves at swap meets for about 4 years before finally getting two that were worth the effort to restore. Best of luck with your project.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
1955cj5

I don't know if these are of any use. I had a heck of a time getting the apron back on..ended up using a bottle jack to hold it in position while I started the screws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000439.JPG (148.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg P1000436.JPG (159.7 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg P1000435.JPG (172.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg P1000440.JPG (162.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg P1000437.JPG (156.4 KB, 378 views)
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
GASSERBOB

Thanks guys for all your help. Im going to study it this weekend again. I just ordered a set of hood shelfs from Snyders. To see what they look like. Mine now just don't want to cover the sides of the apron far enough. Where it curves. Unless my apron isn't pulled up far enough. I wish I new how to post pictures on here.I would post some to show you guys . You probably need a photo account ,Ha? I will talk to you all later. And let you know how I made out. Bob......................
Old 07-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #7
Vern

Bob, the year of your car will determine which set of shelfs & apron you need. The pictures in the judging standards are very helpful. Perhaps the repop shelfs are better than those available 25 years back. That's why I collected them for a few years to get one good set. And I have NO idea why the photo is inverted!

Last edited by Vern; 05-30-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

On the repro radiator aprons the triangular ends are flat in the area inside the bead, whereas on originals that area is convex. Which are you working with?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASSERBOB View Post
Thanks guys for all your help. Im going to study it this weekend again. I just ordered a set of hood shelfs from Snyders. To see what they look like. Mine now just don't want to cover the sides of the apron far enough. Where it curves. Unless my apron isn't pulled up far enough. I wish I new how to post pictures on here.I would post some to show you guys . You probably need a photo account ,Ha? I will talk to you all later. And let you know how I made out. Bob......................
if properly trimmed, the curved end of the hood shelf bends to lie flat against the fender and the bolts slide through the shelf, through the fender, through the welting and into the apron, as someone said above.

the sections of the hood shelf supported by the little wood blocks should be resting upon the blocks, without metal-to-metal contact with the fender.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
daveymc29

I like the instruction that came with my repo hood shelves for my 29 roadster. They told me I may have to move the mounting hole forward a half inch or so to make it work. Like I could just grip the hole and pull it along to the correct position. Went back to my originals and threw the repos in with the scrap metal.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
I don't know if these are of any use. I had a heck of a time getting the apron back on..ended up using a bottle jack to hold it in position while I started the screws.
Uhhh.....what year is your truck?

Your truck has a combination of 28 and 29 parts. The hood shelf's are 1928,
and the radiator splash shield is a 1929. They don't go together well...

Look at the last photo....close.

Last edited by d.j. moordigian; 07-14-2015 at 10:08 AM.
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
wrndln

Dudley is correct, you have a 29 splash apron and 28 hood shelves. 28 hood shelves have a longer roll over like I explained in post #3 above. If you reread the post it explains the differences in the 28 and 29 parts. Your hood shelves and splash aprons will never fit correctly when you mix the parts, like Dudley pointed out.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
brito36

Your best bet for correctness and a better fit of the apron and the shelves are to obtain a set of originals. I once used a set or reproduction hood shelves on mt roadster and ended up throwing them in the garbage, and getting am original set. I had to repair the originals but it was well worth the effort. Be aware that there are several variations of original hood shelves which depend on when your car was made.
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #14
GASSERBOB

It was made in June 15th 1928. Im going to see what these hood shelfs look like from Snyders. I will let you guys know what I find out.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASSERBOB View Post
It was made in June 15th 1928. Im going to see what these hood shelfs look like from Snyders. I will let you guys know what I find out.
They will be 29's...
Look at the 3rd and 5th photo in the #5 reply, does your splash apron look
like it, with a bead that runs from top to bottom then to the top again??

If it just runs from the point on each side to the bottom and across, then it's
a 28...
Old 07-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
GASSERBOB

d.j. The bead runs from the top to the bottom. Does the curve of the hood shelf suppose to cover the top beads on the apron? Because the ones I have on now don't cover them. You can still see some of the edge of the fender yet. I will see what these new ones will look like from Snyders. Thanks again for all your help. I will let you know how these look. Bob.....
Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
d.j. moordigian

From your description, it sounds like a 29. Does it look like the one in the photo? It's a
29 apron with 28 shelf's.

If it is a 29 apron, the repops will work,....with some rework.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
GASSERBOB

DJ. The apron looks like mine. But the shelf in the photo doesn't. My curves on mine aren't that wide. So I guess I have 29 shelfs then. I have to check it out further. And another thing I can see the flat part of the fender under the shelf yet. Thanks d.j. I will let you know what I find out. BoB..
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

God, this gets COMPLICATED. Sure glad my June '29 stuff fits/looks good.
Bill W.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:30 PM   #20
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. moordigian View Post
Uhhh.....what year is your truck?

Your truck has a combination of 28 and 29 parts. The hood shelf's are 1928,
and the radiator splash shield is a 1929. They don't go together well...

Look at the last photo....close.
The truck is a January 21, 1929 build based on the number.....I'm not at all surprised that it is a mixture of parts...in fact I sort of expect it....

Randy
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote