Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
fresnoron

Default FS ignition timing

My motor is basically stock with a lion speed 4 head and headers....internals are all stock.....I installed a FSI electronic distributor (not the zipper) and been running it at that for a couple years, but would like to fine tune it...they say to set initial timing at 0 then advance till it pings, but was wondering if anyone has an idea what should be the initial timing. Im at basically 300 ft above sea level here with a 31 sedan.... anybody with words of wisdom here.
fresnoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
PC/SR

Default Re: FS ignition timing

The basic FSI used to have a full advance of 32 degrees which is too much for an HC head. First, call FSI and see if that is still the default timing, then adjust the initial advance so that the running speed is about 25 degrees. That will be retarded at initial timing. I played with the weights and advance slots to reduce the total advance which I run at around 20-22 degrees. The only way to really, really fine tune it is on a dyno, but.....
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
wmws
BANNED

A stock A system doesn't need more than 30* advance in my opinion unless maybe you are turning it 2500 RPM. I think your FS is set for 28* total advance. You might put a timing light on it and see what you have.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Dave in MN

I run my Lion Speed Head, milled .074", at 24 degrees advance and still need to be careful when climbing hills to avoid lugging and the resulting pinging. Downshifting to raise the rpm solves the pinging issue.
I installed two small washers on the weights to reduce the advance. At idle, i am about 3 degrees advanced.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote