Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Tinker

Default Stewart Warner mech Temp gauges

So I picked up a couple SW gauges and installed them. This is a project so I didn't actually get familiar with them till this spring. Both read 140 on short runs, then just recently one quit working (0) and the other pegs at 140 every time. My infrared gun says 160 after a 20 miles, but the one working gauge is 140 still and other doesnt pick up at all. Infrared gun is good.

So is there any recourse since these are a yr old buy for a project? Speedway bought. Or no

Is this common now with SW gauges? I have an old oil SW and a tri gauge setup under the dash, wanted them all the same. Certainly not a fan of the autometer in the looks department in this setup.

Guess I'm just venting.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Stewart Warner mech Temp gauges

Ask Speedway on the gauges. Running that engine a little on the cold side? Not the best.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
deucemac

I have used and sold Stewart Warner gauges since 1962 until I retired several years ago. What was once the standard has sadly degenerated to basic junk. When I built my roadster in 2007, I used some old stock that I kept after I stopped selling. They were 1990 era and performed very well, however, I had a space problem fitting a speedometer cable to the transmission I used. I installed a new deluxe electric speedometer and a Classic Instruments Sky Drive. Everything went well until 4000 miles when the speedometer decided to have a brain tumor and wave wildly or just shut down. All the while the odometer worked perfectly. I tried Stewart Warner's tech line and never got anyone to answer. I talked to several jobbers and W/D ' s I used to deal with and to a man they all said "good luck". They have gotten very uneasy selling the current product due to failures and virtually no support. I went to SEMA 2 years ago and talked to the reps personally and was told that after using their gauges for 50 years, I didn't know how to install them. Needless to say, a heated argument ensued. Last year a new engineer was there along with the jerk from the year before. The old guy denied he even talked to me and the new guy offered to replace the speedometer. I dealt with the new guy. When the new speedometer arrived, I installed it and waited until good weather started. Meanwhile back at the clown factory, I was informed that a rare failure had occurred in the odometer and they had never seen that happen before. Warm weather dawned and out I went with the new unit and it performed perfectly until 100 miles out, when the odometer stopped! I called the engineer and got a surprised response from him and a high tech repair technique. Give a sharp rap on the gauge. Yep, super high tech to me. I used the soft rubber grip on a cane to perform this complicated procedure to no avail. I drove it for a couple of months and 2 weeks ago my daughter's from Washington state visited so out we go for a ride in the roadster. I tried the ultra high tech manuver from the factory. And VOILA! The odometer comes to life! Miracles still happen I guess. This last weekend my son and I drove the car down to the LA Roadsters Father's Day show. A 180 mile drive each way. Well much to my surprise, they moved Pomona lots closer to Tehachapi! After all a fine instrument like my new speedometer could not be wrong. From a starting mileage of 117 miles, we traveled what used to be a 360 mile round trip to the accurately calibrated and perfectly functioning odometer reading of 208 miles stated on the odometer. My advice to you would be to find older Stewart Warner gauges that are still functioning and use them. It is so sad to the best gauges reduce themselves from top notch to "hole fillers". I talked to Classic and they can recreate the font of Stewart Warner and use my initials instead of SW. Plus give a 7 years unconditional warranty. I must have installed /sold over a thousand Stewart Warner gauges in my life but no more. Incidentally, they have been sold out and the gauges are no longer USA made.
deucemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
51504bat

I'm running VDO gauges in my '39 p/u, a 4,000 RPM tach, 2 electric 220 degree temp gauges and an electric oil pressure gauge and I'm happy with them. I went with VDO since they had a 4,000 RPM tach instead of the 8,000 units that I found elsewhere (don't need an 8,000 limit in a stock flathead) I did have an issue with the tach needle bouncing and incorrect temperature sending units that the vender assured me were correct BUT VDO tech support was great. Returned my calls AND solved the problem. They may not be traditional like SW gauges but in my experience they work and they stand behind their product. Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Ask Speedway on the gauges. Running that engine a little on the cold side? Not the best.
The gauges pegged out at 140 and never went higher.
The engine did however thankfully. But it is a bit lower then I'd like. 165-170ish.

No stats in yet, have 180s in a box, but I haven't tested them yet to see if they are accurate.

*** reason for no stats was that I was living in Florida, although both flatheads I have usually never get beyond 180. Now in MN going to need stats. Checked my intake it was 95 degrees. Might have to take out the block offs to the intake too. ***

Last edited by Tinker; 06-21-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
JimG

I bought my 34 last year. It had two S-W Mechanical Temperature gauges - one worked, one had no reading. I replaced the driver's side one with an Identical S-W gauge I bought from Speedway. It's working so far - reads about 5 degrees higher than the older passenger side gauge.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Tinker

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stewar...ary,63303.html

I bought these, Thing I liked about them is the black 36" capillary tube. Don't like 4 ft of extra tube/line wrapped up under the dash.

Jim did you buy the HD series?
Old 06-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
JimG

I don't have the model number of the one I bought at hand right now - I might have it at home, but here is a picture of them. I replaced the one on the left that was not reading ,with an identical gauge. Reads from 100F to 265F. Had a pretty long tube.

Looks like this is the one: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/SW-HD-...auge,1094.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1377_p44_l.jpg (53.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
JimG

I see it says it is a HD gauge and costs $25 more than the one you bought.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
TagMan

It's pretty well known in the hot rod circles, that new S-W gauges are junk. I look for the old ones (pre-70's) at the swap meets and pick them up very reasonably. The old ones have all seemed to work fine for me.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
It's pretty well known in the hot rod circles, that new S-W gauges are junk. I look for the old ones (pre-70's) at the swap meets and pick them up very reasonably. The old ones have all seemed to work fine for me.
I guess it's my fault for buying a $50 temp gauge that does not work as advertised .

I've seen some originals at swaps but never with the capillary tubes intact. That's where my working s-w oil gauge is from. Guess I'll buy a working $25 autozone one, till I can find a better solution.

thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
russcc

I have bought several old SW mechanicals temps with broken or missing capillary tubes, usually under #25. and send them to Williamson's to be rebuilt for about $165. so I am into for about $200., but well worth it as their readings match up with the infared gun within a couple degrees. Old parts are always better than the new junk from you know where. You get what you pay for.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #13
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
I have bought several old SW mechanicals temps with broken or missing capillary tubes, usually under #25. and send them to Williamson's to be rebuilt for about $165. so I am into for about $200., but well worth it as their readings match up with the infared gun within a couple degrees. Old parts are always better than the new junk from you know where. You get what you pay for.
Down the road I'll contemplate spending $400 on a couple gauges. I'll make due without s-w for now as I have other fish to fry. Guess I didn't think $50 was cheap for one gauge to work even if it was off 20 degrees ( I can do math ).

But thanks for the suggestion! It's well worth it, seems like a lot of work Williamsons does for the price.

Last edited by Tinker; 06-21-2017 at 09:46 PM.