Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 AM   #21
bobusnick104

Default Re: chirp, chirp, chirp - Update

I just had that problem. Sounded like chipmunks in a cage. Only heard it when there was high vacuum, like at idle. It was a vacuum leak between the carb and manifold. I removed the Tillotson carb and checked the flange flatness with a straight edge. It showed about .040" gap. With the carb in a vise, I used a file to face off the flange. Then checked the manifold for flatness and it was ok. New gasket and sealer and back on the road.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #22
harryc

My first "chirp" when I was a kid driving my A daily in the 60's turned out to be a head gasket. The car wasn't missing or exhibiting any obvious problem other than the noise. I finally pulled the head at my dad's suggestion and discovered a tiny blow out on the back end of the head. I have also had the fan belt chirp as well. I just spray it with silicone and that ends it.
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

I had a chirping sound that sounded like a chirping , slipping fan belt . It turned out to be the seals in the rear water pump bushing . I use the rear bushing that uses two seals in the water pumps that I rebuild for our model A's. I don't use antifreeze in warm weather because it increases cooling system temperatures . I was running water as a summer coolant .I added a small bottle of water pump lubricant , soluble oil , to the radiator and the chirp went away. Soluble oil also prevents rust in the cooling system . Works for me in all of our model A's .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #24
100IH

Water spray on the edges of the belt should tell you if the belt or pulley area is the culprit.If so, look at the generator pulley. Some are cast iron and some are riveted together sheet metal. The riveted pulleys get bent sometimes so that the "v" on the pulley is pinched together and forces the belt up as the belt passes over the pulley creating a chirp sound. Also, the rivets can get loose letting the 2 halves move.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #25
100IH

I hate it when that happens. Read right over the " It's fixed" Can't have too much good answers.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #26
OL JENNY

I fought the chirp also. I had installed a new crank and bronze timing gear and while doing this replaced my old front motor mount with a new original mount. I would have the dreaded chirp at lower rpm and to make it more confusing it would usually stop when the clutch was held in. Throw out right, no plenty of grease and not the problem. Changed fan belts, lubricated fan belts, new water pump, pulled hair out all to no avail. On a tour with the help of several club members we could get the chirp to stop by putting more tension on the alternator, but tightening the alternator did not solve the problem. To finish this up, I eventually realized when I cleaned up my frame and installed the new front motor mount correctly with the spring just tight enough to get the cotter key in the bolt, the plate was dry and all the grease had been removed and it was my motor mount chirping with certain tensions. A little lithium grease between the motor mount flat plate and the frame and my problem was solved. This only took 3 months and considerable frustration.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:15 AM   #27
antiquepa

OL JENNY. Thanks for the post..I Think you just answered my problem!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #28
Bill Goddard

Old Jenny, I am trying to remove my front motor mount to replace the leather washer and springs to improve the lineup of the crank pulley to the radiator hole. I followed Les Andrews instructions but it seems he neglected to mention the crank pulley needed to be removed. Was this your experience too, or should I raise the motor more than a 'little bit" to get the mount out from under the pulley? Did you have to loosen the rear mounts? Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #29
Benson

Bill B,

Some say to remove only 1 bolt on each side.

My experience is that it is safer to remove all four and only go as high as needed. You do not want to break a flywheel housing.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #30
gustafson
BANNED

and away we go with a 2 yr old resolved thread morphed into a motor mount issue LOL
gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #31
OL JENNY

Yes Bill I did loosen the rear mounts when I originally changed my front motor mount. It was after having everything clean and painted (and unfortunately dry) that I had the chirp. I had removed the crank pully because I installed the matched set of gears. My chirp has not returned since I have lubricated the plate under the front motor mount.
OL JENNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #32
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
My first "chirp" when I was a kid driving my A daily in the 60's turned out to be a head gasket. The car wasn't missing or exhibiting any obvious problem other than the noise. I finally pulled the head at my dad's suggestion and discovered a tiny blow out on the back end of the head. I have also had the fan belt chirp as well. I just spray it with silicone and that ends it.
Harry,

They say you always remember your "first chirp"!

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #33
BILL WILLIAMSON

Can't help you, still have a CHIRP-CHIRP-CHIRP, in my Left Ear, that I brought home from a RE-HAB. Once I brought home a "floater", in my Left Eye, still there!
Bill Pathetic
Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #34
monto

Ditto on the dry distributor shaft.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #35
Barry B./ Ma.

Sounds like it could be the spring plunger at the end of the camshaft. remove the front cover and clean out the oil hole in the casting, clean and oil the spring plunger and it should be ok.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:15 AM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
Sounds like it could be the spring plunger at the end of the camshaft. remove the front cover and clean out the oil hole in the casting, clean and oil the spring plunger and it should be ok.
That's exactly what I found on an engine I started for a customer. The guy who rebuilt the engine must have put the plunger and spring together dry. It took several short runs before the squeak went away. Every moving part needs lubrication.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #37
BILL WILLIAMSON

A QUICK, TEMPORARY way to quiet a fan belt: Just spray the inside of it, with PLAIN old water! When it dries, the noise will come back.
THEN, it's time to adjust or replace it. DON'T rub soap or any other GOOP, on it, fan belts only grip well, with a COMPLETELY DRY surface!!! When you replace a belt, save it in the trunk, with its' I.D. jacket, for future reference, or to use for an "EMERGENCY" spare. Same with hoses.
Bill Squirt

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-27-2018 at 09:03 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote