Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
Magoo2

Default Armstrong (MGB) shock conversion

I read an old post that briefly talked about fitting MGB shocks on a model a. If purchased some of these shocks and dimensionally they look like they might work. Anyone have any firsthand advice on doing this conversion.
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Armstrong (MGB) shock conversion

Hi Magoo2
I have a Model B 1932 Ford Tudor sedan.
I have installed MGB REAR shocks on the front end of the car with excellent results.
The arms that were on the shocks when I purchased them were off-set & needed to be bent to work correctly. Rather than bend the levers, I chose to use spacers at the mounting bolt areas. They also needed to have a "ball' added for the connecting links.
The balls, as I recall, were/are available thru one or more of the vendors.
The shocks bolted up in the original position, are rebuildable and work well.
I am not a purist regarding originality, but they look good & as far as I'm concerned, appear better than tube type shocks. The cost was about $200.00 for both rebuilt units.
When I was thinking about this change, I spoke with the Vendor & asked about weight.
I guessed that the front end of my car was about 1200#. He set the shocks for that approximate weight.
Hope this helps you
Jim

Last edited by Kahuna; 06-09-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: SP
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo2 View Post
I read an old post that briefly talked about fitting MGB shocks on a model a. If purchased some of these shocks and dimensionally they look like they might work. Anyone have any firsthand advice on doing this conversion.
Hi - I am starting on this conversion attempt! I bit the bullet and bought two used MGA rear shocks, and two TR6 rear shocks. They are Armstrong and are used but got them on ebay and not a big cash outlay. And they are not leaking and damp as they are supposed to.

Where I am now!

Model A Ford shock mounting centers are 4 inches
The Armstrong shocks i purchased are on mounting centers of 4 inches
2 SAE 7/16 bolts lockwasher and nut needed for each! Bought them on the web at Bolt depot!
If I am going to use the more modern dog bone to tie them to the Ford lower ball, I need to weld a ball to the shock arms on the front set first to get them connected first!
From Ozark windage measure, I know the shock arms need to be bent to line up with the lower ball so that the dog bone is relatively perpendicular. I have a friend who can do the bending (with a heat sink) to get it where needed on both front wheels.

The rears I have not yet investigated getting them mounted and connected.
When I do, I will share.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:15 PM   #4
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna View Post
Hi Magoo2
I have installed MGB REAR shocks on the front end of the car with excellent results.
The arms that were on the shocks when I purchased them were off-set & needed to be bent to work correctly. Rather than bend the levers, I chose to use spacers at the mounting bolt areas. They also needed to have a "ball' added for the connecting links.
I am not a purist regarding originality, but they look good & as far as I'm concerned, appear better than tube type shocks. The cost was about $200.00 for both rebuilt units.
When I was thinking about this change, I spoke with the Vendor & asked about weight.
I guessed that the front end of my car was about 1200#. He set the shocks for that approximate weight.
Hope this helps you
Jim
Jim, Every time I read one of these posts on MG shocks I learn a bit more! Can you share about how much You had to shim out? I love that idea! I kept trying to think of a good way to apply enough heat to bend the arms and yet keep the seals in the shock cool enough to take it. I had it planned to make up a water contraption to keep the shaft and arm mounting cool during torch heating and bending, but, a spacer, now that is a good idea! Using my Ozark wind age method, looks around .5 inch! Would be interested in a picture of your mounting solution. I did the weight consideration thing also on what I picked to buy and I know these are rear shocks yet the MGA car weight runs around 1990 lbs. My Model A runs around 2265 lbs. I am going to go with just trying them to start with and go from there! Again, thank you for helping those that want to try this make a model A Ford a little safer economically!
Old 06-09-2018, 10:14 PM   #5
john charlton

Be carefull you get the right shocks with the right model A frame spacing . Armstrong shocks were fitted to many different British cars, Ford Consuls,Zephers and Zodiacs included . These shocks have wider bolt spacing so you would have to drill the frame . The arms can be bent with heat . I use a cold wet towel to cover the shock body to avoid cooking the seals when bending and welding a ball on . They fit fine on the front but need to be shimmed on the back to clear the fender well .

John in sunny Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Magoo2

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate your help. I like the spacer idea. I might give that a try. If there are any pics I would like to take a look. Thanks again.
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Hoogah

Quote:
Hi Magoo2
Hope this helps you
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
Jim, Every time I read one of these posts on MG shocks I learn a bit more! Can you share about how much You had to shim out? I love that idea! I kept trying to think of a good way to apply enough heat to bend the arms and yet keep the seals in the shock cool enough to take it. I had it planned to make up a water contraption to keep the shaft and arm mounting cool during torch heating and bending, but, a spacer, now that is a good idea! Using my Ozark wind age method, looks around .5 inch! Would be interested in a picture of your mounting solution. I did the weight consideration thing also on what I picked to buy and I know these are rear shocks yet the MGA car weight runs around 1990 lbs. My Model A runs around 2265 lbs. I am going to go with just trying them to start with and go from there! Again, thank you for helping those that want to try this make a model A Ford a little safer economically!
Hi Kahuna and DH, I too have come across some Armstrong shocks (free!), but haven't measured them up yet. If they fit, I would like to go down this path also. Would love to see some photos of the details you mentioned, Kahuna, and of your progress, DH!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #8
Chris Haynes

Here are the Armstrong's I put on my '30 Tudor. They bolted on to the existing holes in the frame. The arms were removed for heating and bending. The balls were purchased from Snyder's and welded on.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:39 AM   #9
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Here are the Armstrong's I put on my '30 Tudor. They bolted on to the existing holes in the frame. The arms were removed for heating and bending. The balls were purchased from Snyder's and welded on.
[/IMG][/URL]
Thanks, Chris!
Old 09-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #10
Kahuna

I'm so sorry for the very late response. I made the spacers 1" each & drilled a hole for the bolts. I was afraid to use heat on the arms & had no idea on how to remove them.
Again, Sorry
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:32 PM   #11
Hoogah

Quote:
I'm so sorry for the very late response. I made the spacers 1" each & drilled a hole for the bolts. I was afraid to use heat on the arms & had no idea on how to remove them.
Again, Sorry
Jim
Thanks, Jim!
Old 09-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
denis4x4

Probably not a fair response as my car is a Model A powered hot rod with a lot of custom suspension work. However, I used early MG Midget/Sprite rear shocks on the front of my car and the results were great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBBF0572-28DF-4421-81FC-5F26792700F2.jpg (44.7 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Again, Sorry
Jim
Any Pictures that can be shared would be great!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #14
Floats

Hi Magoo,
A little off topic, but I installed MGB rear shocks on my 29 Chevy Phaeton and VERY happy.
Have a good weekend
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote