Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
oriondal

Default starter drive spring and bolts

I went to start the car and got the starter motor to turn but not engage. Upon removing the starter found that one of the starter drive bolts and washers was missing. I fished it out with a magnet and am ready to re-install it, but don't know how much tension the spring should have. It's sort of lined up near the bolt hole and I can bring it around at least another turn. Should that do the trick?
oriondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: starter drive spring and bolts

The Bendix spring is in a relaxed position when both bolts are in place. The spring takes the brunt of sudden torque (shock) when the drive pinion engages the flywheel.

When you reinstall the bolt and lock washer, make sure the lock washer tabs are solid with no cracks from bending. Be sure the tab is engaged in the slot at the end of the spring bolt loop, and make sure the other tab is bent tight against the FLAT of the hex head. The long bolt goes in the end hole, and the shorter bolt goes next to the drive pinion.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
oriondal

Default Re: starter drive spring and bolts

Thanks Tom, I had to run out after removing the starter and didn't get a very good look at it. I see now what you've explained. As I reassembled it, the threads on the bolt that came loose weren't in very good condition and I think it would have come loose again before long. I replaced it with a modern Bendix drive and it started right up. I'll replace the bolt and put the old drive in the parts drawer (which is starting to get pretty full). The car is an older restoration which wasn't driven much the last 30 years, so there's been a few things to fix or replace. It's been fun and rewarding to be able to do the work myself and helpful to know there are so many guys here ready and willing to give advice and answer questions.
Thanks
oriondal is offline   Reply With Quote