Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
olguy

Red face lowering a '41

Hi guys,
Been a street rodder for 65 years, so I've forgotten more than I remember, but can someone point me in the right direction to lower my '41 tudor? I have never been under a '41 and now I'm too broken to try it myself...I wondered if I could have someone replace my front and rear leaf springs with some Posies reversed eye springs and get my 2-3 inch drop? I don't want to go the dropped axle route, just looking for some simple way to get it lower. It looks like Posies has a front spring that would do it, but I can't find out anything about the rear.
I can't seem to find a decent photo of the frame/suspension so I can understand it.
Any help would surely be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony
olguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Ford Freak

Default Re: lowering a '41

Tony - I have the Posies reversed eye springs in my '37 f & r . You will get it down at least 2", and maybe 3" . It is the way to go IMO ! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
drolston

The front suspension of the '41 is a one-year odd ball transition between the '40 and '42 - '48. The distance between spring perches on the axel is different, and Posie's doesn't make the exact fit. I bought the Posie's listed for stock 41 - 48, but as you can see from the picture, it was a good three inches too long.

So I exchanged it for the Posies 2037-40L, which was a better match for the spring eye measurement, and closer to my spring perch measurement. With stock spring shackles, it was too short. The shackles were near flat, instead of at 45 degrees. Shackles that are too flat would put potentially catastrophic excess load on the spring perches. I looked for 3" shackles, which would give the correct angle. None to be found. So I bought 4" shackles and, made additional square holes at 3". I drilled the diameter to be the width of the squared off shackle bolts, then filed those holes into near squares. Looks a little weird, but I got the right shackle angle under load.

Part two of this story. My stock front spring was so tired that I got less than a half inch lower, instead of 3". Fine, that actually gives a pretty nice stance.

Part three: The Posies springs have less friction than stock springs and give a softer ride. That showed up the sad state of my front shocks, so I had them rebuilt by Andy. Ride is great now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock to Posie 2100 Spring Compare.jpg (45.6 KB, 57 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
19Fordy

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/...35_48_springs/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
fortyonerag

Get the rear spring reset (and reversed eyes) to the height you want. You can take leafs out of the spring, but I like the stock ride.

A lotta folks will tell you longer shackles will lower the car in the rear. They will lower the car, but the 41 does not have a panhard/track rod, and the ride will be squirrely to say the least. Don't ask how I know.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #6
corvette8n

In addition to the springs you can change to a smaller lower profile tire.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Ford Freak

Drolstron - That is some interesting info right there, and good I might add . Thanks ! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote