Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
phonconn

Default "Trailer Baby" or "Trailer Queen"

Where did this term come from and what does it mean.
Some shared research from days gone by(late 50's early 60's). In the early days of Judging Fine Point cars it was not necessary to have your car run, make the vacuum wiper work, or any function of it running or driving.
Thus some restorers would do a "Trailer Queen" and never rebuild the engine and in fact many would not even run or if they did they were not road worthy.
The were trailered to the meet. Backed out of the trailer(using gravity) and pushed back into the trailer after they were judged and "looked at". Since they didn't run and were just pretty to look at but had no function there were jealousies that arose from those who did in fact do a complete restoration back to factory standards and tolerances.
If was decided that any "show car" should start, run, and drive as it did when new and so some additional requirements were added to the judging rules.
Now start and idle is our test of the cars ability to start and run and at the same time lights, horn, and wiper are tested. Also a mandatory tour of some miles was added. From this time on the "Trailer Queens or Trailer Babies" were unable to compete and so they all but disappeared from the scene. But as with many labels the term continued and included those cars that were just too pretty to drive out on the open road susceptible to gravel pecks, mud, dirt and grim.
Now we have two classes of "Show Cars". Ones that are driven on a regular basis or touring cars done to a set of standards and Fine Point done to assembly line standards, but in both cases both types must prove their ability to start easily and go down the road and stop(very important).
So do the Trailer Babies or Trailer Queens still exist? I guess so but they are certainly not restricted to a life of trailerdom. They do run and can get out and go with the best of them all things being equal.
Just a Christmas thought to share. Don't think there are any Trailer Queens left as I think all are now restored to run.
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #2
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: "Trailer Baby" or "Trailer Queen"

Whatever their other short-comings, at all AACA sanctioned events, show vehicles must be driven onto the show-field under their own power.

That said, I've seen plenty of gorgeous "trailer-queens" that make it to and from the trailer ok, but can't go for much of a drive because of issues with the cooling and/or fuel systems.

I can understand not wanting to subject a beautiful vehicle to road-rash, but it ought to be capable of being driven...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Dan
Your definition of a trailer queen is not my definition of trailer a queen. I have two trailer queens but they are also capable of running with the best of them.. yes ill take one out on a beautiful day for a 25 mile back road run being careful to not kick up any dust and to dodge every little thing i see on the roadway. My trailer queens have never seen a water hose..the oldest one was built in 2006...

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-23-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
1crosscut

I drive my truck quite a lot. However since it is an AA it doesn't go too fast so long distance travel is generally not in the cards. If my destination is around 50 miles or so and there is a relatively sane route for me to take I will drive it. Otherwise I will haul it on an open trailer. There has been several times that folks have referred to my truck a trailer queen after bringing it to an event on the trailer.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with Mitch about not getting the car wet. I've never washed mine, but I have been caught in the rain a couple times on a long trip. Every time the car gets wet, it's helping the rust to grow somewhere on the car. And road salt is the ultimate car killer.

About 4 years ago I saw an early 80's GM station wagon in a parking lot, and I sure wish I'd have had my camera with me. The guy was driving a skeleton of a car, as ever body panel was rusted away except the outer edges. The tires were fully exposed, and all the doors and tailgate workings were fully exposed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
Hitman

Yeah, I hate it when they get wet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8349.jpg (35.1 KB, 85 views)
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Trailer queens are like having a stamp collection. Nice to look at but not enjoy. You have fear of dust, rain, pebbles in the tires or anything else that might be on the road. No kids allowed near or in the car. No close in photos of adults. To those of us that enjoy our cars we find the trailer queens a joke. Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Urban dictionary;

railer queen
This term is used to describe a show car that travels around in a trailer. There are two general types of trailer queens.

1) A car that, for some reason, can't or shouldn't be driven but is still show worthy. For example, some cars are too old to be safe to drive cross-country so they must be trailered.

2) The most common trailer queen can be driven. The owner is ussually so tied up in the status and appearance of his car that he has forgotten the joy of driving it and now hauls it around in a trailer to avoid dirt. These are often painfully shiny with very expensive, detailed painjobs and excess chrome. The owner will wash and polish every part of the car (even the brake pads) before the car goes in the trailer and then again after he parks it at the show. Extreme trailer queens are often hauled around in trailers that are show-worthy themselves.
We had fun driving our cars to the show but that trailer queen is so tied up in making his car extra shiny that he's gonna be polishing the thing until tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

The second definition is so very accurate. Read it and weep trailer queen owners. Wayne
Old 12-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #10
eystein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Dan
Your definition of a trailer queen is not my definition of trailer a queen. I have two trailer queens but they are also capable of running with the best of them.. yes ill take one out on a beautiful day for a 25 mile back road run being careful to not kick up any dust and to dodge every little thing i see on the roadway. My trailer queens have never seen a water hose..the oldest one was built in 2006...
Mitch, are you saying that you never washed the car since 2006 ? Even with only sunshine driving on paved roads it cannot be possible that no cleaning is needed?

Anyway what is the problem with gently washing the car as long as you leavit to dry in a warm garage afterwards?
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eystein View Post
Mitch, are you saying that you never washed the car since 2006 ? Even with only sunshine driving on paved roads it cannot be possible that no cleaning is needed?

Anyway what is the problem with gently washing the car as long as you leavit to dry in a warm garage afterwards?
Many of the trailer quern owners are obsessed with their vehicles! Wayne
Old 12-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #12
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Yeah, I hate it when they get wet.

I love driving them in the rain, people look at you like your crazy to have it out in bad weather. I just tell them it's not waterbased paint on it
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:

Hi eyestein yes i am saying i have never put a hose to either of my cars as the oldest one being restored in 2006. When i get back from a nice leisurely drive i do the same thing that happens when the pollen in the spring lays on them. I get out my chemical guys quick detailer,, spray the panel liberally then take a fresh unused microfiber towel and pull it along the panel without putting a pressure on it. This collects any debris / pollen etc.. then i take another new / fresh microfiber towel and do the same panel again with light pressure going in one direction. These methods will not scratch the paint as most people do when wiping their cars down with dust on them. I always use a new micro towel each time,, never wash them etc,,
I use the old ones for other greasy tasks and shop towels...

My friend who is cheap blows his nose on the micro towel, wipes his car, over and over with it washes it then repeats the same thing on another day..cringe
Old 12-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #14
P.S.

Quote:

He said it has never seen a hose.

Both of my Model As are the same. Never use water to wash them. I use DriWash-N-Guard on both, and the finish looks amazing. One of my As is an original car still sporting the factory paint and interior, etc. The DriWash keeps the original paint looking fantastic and protected from elements. See for yourself, it is the July car in this year's Hemmings Model A calendar.

Oh, and despite being all original, it is no trailer queen it drives anywhere it goes, and it drives like a dream.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
He said it has never seen a hose.

Both of my Model As are the same. Never use water to wash them. I use DriWash-N-Guard on both, and the finish looks amazing. One of my As is an original car still sporting the factory paint and interior, etc. The DriWash keeps the original paint looking fantastic and protected from elements. See for yourself, it is the July car in this year's Hemmings Model A calendar.

Oh, and despite being all original, it is no trailer queen it drives anywhere it goes, and it drives like a dream.
Paul congrats on the Hemings photo. I look forward to seeing it
Nice job Bro
Old 12-26-2016, 01:57 PM   #16
C26Pinelake
BANNED

What must be remembered is that these are not a Duesenberg, Cadillac or a Packard! These are Model A Fords we are talking, Very common cars and many entry level Fords like Tudors. Learn to enjoy them instead of being obsessed. Wayne
Old 12-26-2016, 05:11 PM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
HI get out my chemical guys quick detailer,, spray the panel liberally then take a fresh unused microfiber towel ...
I do the same with my "shiny" cars, except I go over them first with one of these...

http://californiacardusters.com/orig...r-wood-handle/

...to lift off all the dust and debris.

My favorite detailer is this one...

The only shiny collector car I've ever washed was this one after 3,000 miles on Rod and Custom's Americruise...

Old 12-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Dick not the california car scratcher. Ohhh NO...

Thats the worse thing to use....
Old 12-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Dick not the california car scratcher. Ohhh NO...

Thats the worse thing to use....
Works for me.

Check the pic above of my black Starliner after 10 years and 30,000 miles.

Like any "tool" it can be used wrong. Using the duster (or detailer and a microfibre cloth) could certainly scratch the paint when it's dirty enough that you should be using car shampoo and water .
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #20
rocket1

I'm also into customs and street rods,some trailer queens couldn't make it from point a to point b,I driven thousands of miles in my custom Merc to shows,no problem.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote