Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
JOES31

Default Old Points or Modern Points

What do most of you use? Modern points or Original Points? Below is why I am asking.

When I went to time my Engine as in the picture and instructions Purdy and Tom posted I noticed something different.

What I discovered is that someone changed to the V8 or "Modern" points and plate. I figured that is why when I timed it exactly as explained it didn't seem to have enough retard. I wondered if the modern plate may not have the points located on the plate at the exact same point as the original plate affecting the timing. I think it was Purdy that brought this to may attention.

So I bought new parts and changed back to the original set up. A couple things. First the points pin was not long enough to go through the phenolic and spacer to allow me to put the nut on with the lock washer. I left the lock washer off. Second I could not get the points lined up without filing the adjustment hole on the plate to line up the points block point and points, but I did get them aligned. I had to elongate the hole in the plate a little more. Is this common? I bought the parts from a very reputable source.

When it was all installed I noticed I had continuity between the plate and the points when open. I had to change the position of the wire connector on the bottom of the top plate and bend it down a bit. Should this be bent vertical to keep from shorting or am I tightening it down in the wrong position?

To time it I set the engine at top dead using the the pin and set the points to .020. I loosened the cam just enough to turn it with the cam wrench, put the rotor on with the body and rotated the rotor CCW first past the # 1 then went CW to set it to the picture. I assume this took all of the backlash out at the same time setting the timing correctly as in the picture. Did I do this backwards? It seems right to me.

Car starts fine but does not have that signature sound at full retard. It idles nice with the spark at 9:00 but farther down it idles a little rough. It would seem to me that is a little too advanced or is the way the A's run. Should I retard the timing a little more?

So what do most of you do. Modern points or original points

Thanks for any advice.. You guys are probably tired of all the questions.

Joe

Last edited by JOES31; 06-25-2014 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote