Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #1
mike48750

Default I have always wanted a stock Model A

I do not see any other place to introduce myself to this group so I guess this is as good a spot as any. First off I had a hotrod model A for many years and come here by way of the JalopyJournal. Second I must admit that I know very little about the specifics of care and feeding of a Model A with the stock running gear. Third I am not looking for a show piece, just something to romp around in the neighborhood with. I work at a NAPA auto parts, here in Oscoda Mi, and there are a couple senior, to me, fellas that play with doodlebugs, seems kinda fun! So I guess for now I will be reading some older posts and trying to bring myself up to speed.
mike48750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
davehc

Default Re: I have always wanted a stock Model A

mike48750 ,
welcome , you couldn't find a better place for first hand info on the " A' s , or a better bunch of VERY informed guy's than this place . Again , Welcome , and don't be afraid to ask any question's , I doubt there's inst one that hasent been asked before here .
davehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
mike48750

Thanks for the warm welcome Dave. Mike
Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Mike,

I put together an answer for a person wanting their first Model A. Jim Mason was nice enough to host it on his web site (which I suggest you read). You can find my answer here: http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/wherestart.html

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM   #5
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I just put my 1931 Town Sedan up for sale. I up graded to one that was recently restored. My car is a driver and a very good one. If interested, send me a PM.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
1930artdeco

Welcome Mike, Once you get into a stock Model A and realize how much fun they can be and the smiles they bring-you wont go back to the hot rods.

Seriously though, do you have a body style in mind? Family, Friends that you want to take for a ride, kids......Each body style has its +/-'s. Coupe`s are great for you and the missus, Sedans are great because of the storage space. If you want speed (wrong car-for the most part) the coupe`s will be faster than the sedans.

Mike
Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Road worthy or doodlebug? Either way they are easy to work on and fun to drive.

Here is a link where doodlebugs were talked about.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170942

As a hot rodder doodlebugs would be right up your alley (if you have a place to drive them) a mixture of different parts, transmissions, dual transmissions, even transmissions reversed.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #8
john in illinois

He said he wanted a stock Model A.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #9
mike48750

Thank you so much to Charlie and Jim for the excellent and well written article for the Model A "newbie" Being a 63 year old divorced man with no children, I don't need much room. I have ALWAYS lusted after a roadster so this is the body style of choice but a coupe would work as well. The primary concern, in any car that I will consider, is its mechanical health, a nice body would be great but it doesn't need to be perfect. Modifications such as discussed by Charlie would be acceptable with some actually being a plus. The car must be roadworthy as my main use will be bombing around my local area. I love to go to car shows and swap meets as a spectator only, my attention span usually drops off after a couple hours. Thanks to all for the great advice so far. Mike
Old 07-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
George Miller

Hi Mike we use to live in Alpena just down the road from you. There is a Model A club in Alpena if interested.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #11
marty in Ohio

Mike,
Good advice all. One more thing to consider is your size. There has been a lot of talk on this site lately about how hard it is to get into and drive one of these old Fords. I'm only about 5' 8" so I can fit any "A", but some are harder for some guys. Looking for a car may be like shopping for shoes. Find a club near you and try on some cars. Good way to make friends too.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
mike48750

Thanks for the info George I will check and see if the club in Alpena is still active. Marty seeing as how I have shrunk up some since my days in the USN, I am probably about 5'9" now. I fit well in my chopped/channeled A coupe so I should be OK. Mike
Old 07-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #13
George Miller

Mike the name of the club is Sunrise Side A,s. Larry Cornell 989-595-5021
It is still active.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

The NEAT thing about Model As is that MANY Folks recognize them & know SOME of their HISTORY, even when they mistakenly call them a Model T! Whether your car has a well USED, or a like NEW look, doesn't matter, as long as you can make it drive well. They're the EASIEST car, to find parts & information for. AND, they have their OWN distinctive sound, even different than the Model T.
Bill Modelalover
Old 07-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike48750 View Post
Thank you so much to Charlie and Jim for the excellent and well written article for the Model A "newbie" Being a 63 year old divorced man with no children, I don't need much room. I have ALWAYS lusted after a roadster so this is the body style of choice but a coupe would work as well. The primary concern, in any car that I will consider, is its mechanical health, a nice body would be great but it doesn't need to be perfect. Modifications such as discussed by Charlie would be acceptable with some actually being a plus. The car must be roadworthy as my main use will be bombing around my local area. I love to go to car shows and swap meets as a spectator only, my attention span usually drops off after a couple hours. Thanks to all for the great advice so far. Mike
Follow your dream, go for the roadster.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #16
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon Mike...Start by joining the local club and looking at the cars members may have for sale or know of...then find the next closest clubs and see what they might have for sale by their members...MARC and MARCA also have web site locations for the sale of Model 'A's. Hemmings is another resource...A Model 'A' is like a good woman...if you get the right one...you'll keep it. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:55 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Great thing about car shopping WITHIN a Club, is that you can hear ALL the history of THAT Car. Folks LOVE to spout out about ALL that Cars' "secrets"---LOL
One car was GIFTED to a Friend, because it was TOO HARD to steer. NEW Owner complained,on the COFFEE PLACE, parking lot, a "crew" jacked it up, BANGED & CUSSED & convinced OLD fittings & stuff, to "take" GREASE & thet thing steered like NEW!!---"They" wurked on thet thing for nearly 3 HOURS. It was AMAZING, HOW MUCH stuff some Folks carry around, in their EMERGENCY SUPPLIES!!! One even had a FLOOR JACK & STANDS, in his PICKUP!

A few years later, I "almost" bought that SAME CAR

Bill Listener

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-11-2018 at 09:49 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #18
dumb person

You've always wanted a stock model A huh? That's good, a perfectly stock one can be surprisingly fun if the battery isn't flat and you have some gas in the tank.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #19
Marshall V. Daut

When I first got into Model A's in 1966, roadsters were as scarce as hen's teeth around here in SE Iowa. Probably because of the harsh winters, not that many convertibles were sold new compared to "sunshine" states. So, even fewer survived by the time I started looking for a Model A. Lots of coupes and sedans, to be sure, but no convertible Model A's. In the "bible" of the day back then - "Hemmings Motor News" - on the rare occasion that a roadster was offered for sale, it was long gone by the time I received my 3rd class mailing. Roadsters were the holy grail among collectors, whose average age then was probably between 25 and 45 = they could still fit into a roadster. Funny, but ads in "Hemmings" offering parts that would fit both roadsters and coupes were ALWAYS advertised as being for roadsters = $$$$$$$$$$, i.e. the rear fenders were always "roadster rear fenders", etc. It wasn't until 1972 that I finally was able to get a roadster of sorts, albeit a very sad put-together long term project using two well-used '28-29 roadster bodies. But did I feel special with a roadster! FINALLY a roadster!
O.K. Fast forward to now. With the availability of fiberglass and steel roadster bodies, there are seemingly more roadsters around these days than ever before. Also, over the years if a barn contained three decrepit Model A's, one being a roadster and the other two being sedans, guess which one got hauled out and sold/restored? Yup! The roadster! All this explains why there are so many roadsters available now to collectors than there were when I started or even in the past 40+ years. In addition, because so many Model A owners are of advanced age, we are seeing and will be seeing more widows offering their late husbands' Model As for sale and many of them are roadsters, THE car of choice among restorers for decades. In other words, you won't have as difficult time finding a roadster or buying one as you would have 15 years ago. They still hold good value, so don't expect to buy a '30 Deluxe Roadster for the same price as a '30 Deluxe Coupe. You WILL still pay good money for a roadster of some flavor, but it will not be the frustrating bank account busting experience that it used to be and you WILL have many to choose from. Times have changed!
Therefore, if you have always wanted a roadster, hold out for a roadster, as others here have advised. Just lay off the pizzas and beer if you want to be able to fit into one. Be advised that roadsters have narrow door openings and non-adjustable seats. At your height, you should be fine. Big stomach or wide butt? Then you might have problems. The '28-29 roadsters have narrower openings than their '30-31 brethren, but not by much.
In terms of value, and all things being equal, the '30-31 roadsters traditionally sell for more money than the plainer '28-29 roadsters, because the Deluxe Roadster (1930-31 in the USA) is so flashy. While considering a roadster, keep in mind that they definitely fall into two separate categories: 1928-29 and 1930-31. Try to decide which style you want and concentrate on that rather than wading through every Model A roadster you find. You will otherwise be overwhelmed. No matter which style you pick, though, roadsters are a lot of fun!
Marshall
1931 Deluxe Roadster

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-12-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #20
mike48750

Thanks again for all the kind responses. I am going to take Charlie and Marshalls advice and hold out for a roadster. I think I prefer the 28-29 style to the later ones. No pizza or beer for me so I guess I will be ok as far as fit. I have contacted a couple owners of roadsters that are within 300 miles and was somewhat amazed at how little the knew about the maintenance that had been accomplished on their cars. One owner actually told me his car was a "parade car" and there for didn't need any maintenance. Mike