Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
miff

Default eBay prices

Is it me or are the prices that are being asked for model a ford used parts on eBay over the top . I didn't know that they are art. So the prices they are asking for rusty ( probably questionable if useable) parts. Lot of us have in some dusty corner of our storage areas. Over the years I have bought parts on eBay and I have been happy with the purchases . But now in my opinion it's getting out of hand . Also the shipping charges . In my business I have things shipped to my shop from all over the states . Yes some charges are pricier. But on some small items the shipping is almost one hundred dollars.The part cost is a quarter of that. The old story " if you need it ,and can't find it ,you pay the piper ".Just some thoughts . Enjoy the Fourth of July weekend . The best
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: eBay prices

Ebay prices are set by the seller who may or may not be informed. Sometimes they ask more than new or don't know if something is even usable. buy the parts that are well described and in your price range. If after a while the items never sell the sellers will get the message.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

"Throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.."
Old 07-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
fordcragar

I find it amusing that whoever lists some of the EBay stuff have no clue about what it is. The prices are equally amusing.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by miff View Post
Is it me or are the prices that are being asked for model a ford used parts on eBay over the top . I didn't know that they are art. So the prices they are asking for rusty ( probably questionable if useable) parts. Lot of us have in some dusty corner of our storage areas. Over the years I have bought parts on eBay and I have been happy with the purchases . But now in my opinion it's getting out of hand . Also the shipping charges . In my business I have things shipped to my shop from all over the states . Yes some charges are pricier. But on some small items the shipping is almost one hundred dollars.The part cost is a quarter of that. The old story " if you need it ,and can't find it ,you pay the piper ".Just some thoughts . Enjoy the Fourth of July weekend . The best
Asking and sold are two different things. Which are you looking at?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Dodge

Prices vary all over the place on ebay. Some good deals still to be had. More than once
I have made offers to parts that have been on a long time and have had the sellers accept.
Lots of times the seller is an antique shop or someplace that does sell car parts.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
Bob-A

Thumbs down Re: eBay prices

I personally think good 'ole Greed has a lot to do with it too! And not just the seller, but eBay also with all their tacked on fee's, commissions, etc. I've been on the ...'Bay since 1999. Years ago it would take what seemed like hours to check out all the "A" parts offered. Now I can do it in a matter of a few minutes. Supply has definitely dried up compared to what it use to be.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
mcorrell

I've rarely found good parts for my "A" on eBay, the exception being a USA made older ammeter. Good new parts are too easy to find from our various suppliers. My 64 Buick is different as it has almost zero aftermarket support. I've picked so a pair of NOS tail light lenses for under $75, for example. Some sellers wanted $100 or more for one.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

1964 Buick Wildcat convertible
mcorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #9
ronn

remember, for about 2 years now, ebay takes 10% of the shipping fee- so I cant blame the sellers for pumping up shipping prices.

ebay has become the harlot of sorts, but still the best option in many cases, esp selling of cars.

I dont sell on there any longer, but do buy every week. always something I need and great to not have to drive out looking for it.

flat fee for selling a car from 2k-1 million is around 125. bucks
if you selling 1500. of parts, you pay more in commissions-stupid really!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
wrndln

I agree with Bob-A, there seems to be quite a few, fewer model A parts than years ago. I guess it makes sense, as model A people are moving on to the promised land and model A's are approaching 90 years of age.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
Victoria31

I think the reason for fewer items for sale on e-bay is their policy. Some folks may not realize that to post you must give them a credit card on file and agree to any charge they post againt it. That is to facilitate their 'BUYER' protection policy which allows the buyer to claim that the item was not what they expected and the refund is charged to your credit card without any further action. They can claim the item you sold was in some way not defective. When they ship it back, it turns out not to be the one you shipped them but only you and they know that. It becomes 'he said she said' and ebay sides with the buyer. Since you already agreed to allow them to take it out of your account, your done. I think that is why there are less sellers,....I know I wil not use ebay due to their policies and I would guess others feel the same way. All of this in my humble opinion!
A new expression for them should be 'Seller beware'!
Victoria31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #12
Victoria31

I think the reason for fewer items for sale on e-bay is their policy. Some folks may not realize that to post you must give them a credit card on file and agree to any charge they post againt it. That is to facilitate their 'BUYER' protection policy which allows the buyer to claim that the item was not what they expected and the refund is charged to your credit card without any further action. They can claim the item you sold was in some way not defective. When they ship it back, it turns out not to be the one you shipped them but only you and they know that. It becomes 'he said she said' and ebay sides with the buyer. Since you already agreed to allow them to take it out of your account, your done. I think that is why there are less sellers,....I know I wil not use ebay due to their policies and I would guess others feel the same way. All of this in my humble opinion!

Last edited by Victoria31; 07-02-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Victoria31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria31 View Post

It's not quite that easy for a buyer to scam a seller...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...guarantee.html
Old 07-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Victoria31 is right. There is more of this happening today than ever before.

The buyer always wins in this case. They got your 'good' part for free and you wound up with their junk and had the privilege of paying to have it shipped to you.

E-bay was a good thing for me selling 15 years ago, I'd hesitate to do it today.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #15
Growley bear

My experience with many people selling Model A parts is that:
1) they don't know what they are selling
2) they think that any old part is for a Model A
3) they see Model A Ford owners as flush with cash
4) they don't understand that most of us have spent a small fortune on our cars and don't have much left to spend on parts
5) they also don't know that just because a part fits a Model A doesn't necessarily mean it is RARE
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #16
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I agree with Bob-A, there seems to be quite a few, fewer model A parts than years ago. I guess it makes sense, as model A people are moving on to the promised land and model A's are approaching 90 years of age.
Rusty Nelson

Yes and their parts collections are flooding the market. So much that I see more and more bulk loads of parts being given away for low money and some scraped because there are no takers.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #17
ursus

There was a rumored local Model A parts stash that emerged from a garage/estate sale following the death of the owner. The sale notice did not mention car parts and the only buyer was not a car buff. I contacted the buyer, who told me to look on Ebay for her auctions. She posted everything on EBay at ridiculous prices under a heading that didn't mention "Model A". After nobody entered bids, I contacted her again but she refused to accept a lower price for anything. I checked back with her later on and was told that, there being no bids on EBay, she had it all hauled off to the dump. I would guess that a lot of good stuff ends up like that.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #18
Railcarmover
BANNED

I have a Co worker who's father cleaned out dealerships in the fifties and sixties and hoarded a bunch of used parts.He has pallets of stuff and thinks it's a goldmine,he wants to sell it by lots,sealed bid.Boy is he in for a rude awakening...
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
J Franklin

The idea of selling anything is let it sell. Our Museum holds a garage sale every year to raise funds and I have instructed my co volunteers that if someone picks up any item to sell it to them. We nickel and dimed our sales to a total of over $800. this last sale. 6 hours of making sure the stuff goes home with somebody. I would always want the parts to put money in my pocket than working to take them to the dump.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #20
SeaSlugs

i love the $1400 run of the mill un restored AA 4 speed thats been on there a long time...

Sometimes you find deals - ther times its the major parts people flooding it with thier catalog parts at catalog prices.