Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
ltdann

Default Molding strips - 1928 Tudor

Can anyone tell me if the two part molding strips can be salvaged from a 1928 Tudor? Specifically the one along the header and the one at the rear of the vinyl top. I took great pains to pry the two piece apart very carefully. It would be ideal to re-use them if possible. The did have a tendency to curl up when I got them apart. All nails have been removed. I think the side rain gutters are re-usable.

Any advice?

Rich Dann
ltdann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Dave in MD

Default Re: Molding strips - 1928 Tudor

Rich,
I have the original two piece top moldings on the front and back of my 1928 coupe. As you noted the upper piece will curl up a bit but will snap back in place. Use a soft faced hammer to put the outer piece back on. I painted both black before installing them. Also, make sure all nail heads you put into the mounting strip get sealed with some sealant to keep water from weeping into and under the top material.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
ltdann

Thanks for the reply. I assume you tacked in the middle and made your way to the corners, correct?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Dave in MD

Rich,
The mounting strip stay formed fairly well for me. You can pin tack (not completely set down) the mounting strip just to make sure they are correct on the each end. Be careful of the spiral shank nails as they can be a bear to remove.
Good luck,
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
larrys40

Rich,
You and Bill probably have it worked out but I would fit it starting at one end and just sink a couple of nails to start for fit... once in and ensure that the other side comes down and fits well it should be good. I would paint the bottom piece first and then do the top. You will most likely have to fill and refinish any imperfections on the top piece in place if you so choose once it's in place. I use a very soft face rubber mallet. You can also cover the mallet with a soft cloth to help keep from marring paint, etc.
They usually tap in place OK unless they are mangled or groove is not clean and straight. Don't worry about the curl... it will come out once you get putting it back in place.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #6
ltdann

Larry,
Mission accomplished. The front and back were disarmingly easy, but the rain gutters were another story. We added a screw to the front and back to hold them into place. When purchased, the parts looked pretty rough, but a bit of blasting revealed that most of the corrosion was on the inner parts and would not be seen easily. Now we're on to painting the body. With luck, we'll have her painted by Sunday

Rich