Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
Curly

Default Re: Car shows

I love going to shows to see my Model A buddies, but I am more of a driver than a shower. At shows people sit on your fenders and stand around wanting to tell you about their muscle car they are restoring.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post

My car show participation is limited to single day shows promoted by clubs that give registration money to non profits.

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
I like the local shows put on by churches, schools, fraternal groups, etc. These shows usually attract more families (children) and present an opportunity to inform and educate the young. This interaction is, to me, the best part of any show.

But ditto on the loud music! If you have to shout over the din it's not a good time for anyone. (I've never seen anyone pay attention to the music or the DJ anyway.)
Again Ditto

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 09-18-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
What makes a really good car show? What makes you want to show your car?
To answer your question, variety.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 AM   #24
Bill G

I hate the music too. Actually, I used to enjoy music, but with a real bad hearing loss, I have grown to hate it because I can't carry on a conversation with background stuff going on. (Color me old and crabby)

On the other hand, agreeing with Mike V Florida, variety is a key to a good show, and music does attract people. The '50's/'60's music gives it a flare of "oldies" that goes along with old cars. At least I would rather listen to The Beach Boys than most anything else in mainstream music of today.

In order to have a show, there needs to be attendees, and the shows need attendees to be successful. I think those coming to a car show rather expect to also have the music, hot dogs, and the obligatory t-shirt.

Dang!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:48 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 09-19-2017 at 05:35 PM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #26
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Here in north central Pennsylvania ( Muncy,Montoursville ) we started a Model A Club in May of this year called the West Branch A's and are MARC sanctioned.We have 10 members.A Ford dealership had a all Fords show and we were able to pick up 4 new members.
So for us car shows are a great way to show people our cars and recruit new members.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #27
Karl

I love driving all my cars and I used to enjoy showing them. However I don't show any more . I just got feed up with people telling me (almost always incorrectly) what they considered wrong about them. I have spent a lot of time and effort to ensure they are as original as I can make them consistent with me driving them safely and often. The last show I went to I ended up arguing with some one who felt that my 1930 Model A should be black as" that's the only color they came in". My efforts to explain that that was the model T but only from about 1914 to 1926 and not in this country in any case just fell on deaf ears . I thought why am I bothering! So now I don't -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #28
Lona

I think the best shows to attend are those with a variety of cars you haven't seen before and those with a variety of things to do so you don't need to sit around and chat all day. Yesterday, we went to the Stratford Hall show at the Robert E Lee birthplace in eastern Virginia. Besides the cars, there were many tents set up for wine and beer tasting, many craft tents, a good number of food vendors, a tractor pulling barrel cars for kids, and free tours of the Great House right on the grounds. ( the politically correct police will probably have that house torn down before next year's show or at least covered in black drapery) Also, there was an abundant amount of shade which was nice at any summer show.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I love driving all my cars and I used to enjoy showing them. However I don't show any more . I just got feed up with people telling me (almost always incorrectly) what they considered wrong about them. I have spent a lot of time and effort to ensure they are as original as I can make them consistent with me driving them safely and often. The last show I went to I ended up arguing with some one who felt that my 1930 Model A should be black as" that's the only color they came in". My efforts to explain that that was the model T but only from about 1914 to 1926 and not in this country in any case just fell on deaf ears . I thought why am I bothering! So now I don't -Karl
I had exactly the same thing. You can see their eyes glaze over when I try to explain that even the Model T was available in about half a dozen colours here. All black was in US only. (Sorry for the "All Black" pun!!)
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

Anoka, Minnesota has a large car show every Saturday with several hundred cars always showing up, but the "music" is so loud it hurts my ears and I can't talk to the person next to me without yelling. I quit going mainly for that reason.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #31
rowens55

Man, I hope I never get to old to enjoy good ol 50s rockabilly music!! Hot rods, muscle cars, restored cars... I love em all and go to every show I can. Even when my 55CV is down for a few more mods. Loud music, parts venders, food venders, they are all part of the experience.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
burner31

I like them small, under 100 cars.
I don't go to the big city, big car shows.
Give me the small town, rural, show every time.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
Seems like I am not alone in hateing the loud 50's music. I dont even like the quiet 50's music. I like to look at cars. I like to talk to car people. Car show DO NOT need music!!
There is a nice cruise night in the next town each month, and I go to see the cars. I park my car as far away from the crappy, sappy 50's music as I can get. The fat little music guy thinks he is doing us a favor, but shouting to talk is not my idea of a good time.
I hate loud music too, but '50's music is about all there is. Music died in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, etc. Ever since most "music" is just a bunch of drugged up monkeys beating on kitchen pots and pans. Totally no talent garbage!!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #34
nhusa

I haven't taken the A to a show yet, but have taken the 1919 T four times.
Sometimes it is a big show with a few hundred cars and sometimes it is a small one with 100 cars.

I think I enjoy the small ones better because people take time to stop and talk instead of rushing to the next vehicle.
I have a poster explaining the Model T and the history of my vehicle, with copies of the original registration.
I also let kids sit in the car after cautioning them to be careful while their parents take pictures.

All of the shows I go don't have judges- they let the crowd vote.
People seem to like the T (and maybe me for letting the kids sit in the car) because it has been voted to get a first, 2 seconds, and a third place trophy. Four for four!
At one show it also got a BIG spectator's choice trophy!
It was funny to see an old somewhat dusty Model T next to a perfect best of show 427 Cobra.

At least they were both FoMOCo products.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #35
KGBnut

I prefer the family-friendly shows. I love talking with both parents and kids about the history of the cars. Yes, some kids can be a little unruly, but I'm pretty good at managing them. Kids that are well-behaved are allowed to climb inside for pictures.

I agree with most of the comments about loud music. I don't really think it is needed, but if it is not too loud it doesn't bother me. One of my favorite shows, Beardsley Cider Mill, is only Model T and Model A era cars and they play mostly bluegrass and old-timey music and not too loud (thank you, Dan!).

It's all about conversation and sharing...no judging...no trophies.

Ken
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM   #36
George Miller

I show all my cars on the road. I refuse to pay some one to show my cars.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM   #37
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I hate loud music too, but '50's music is about all there is. Music died in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, etc. Ever since most "music" is just a bunch of drugged up monkeys beating on kitchen pots and pans. Totally no talent garbage!!
Really! I believe The Beatles gave us some of the greatest music ever produced. I don't think they ever played kitchen pots -However Ringo once played a packing case on "Words of Love" but that was a remake of Buddy Holly's song from the 50's.They however may have been drugged later in the 60's (like a lot of their audience)

I disagree that many modern musicians aren't talented -I just suspect their talent lies in marketing rather than music ! -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #38
1931 flamingo

I and a couple of other A'ers and one T go to a show a week, weather permitting. I love the 50's music but everybody is right, NO need to play it as loud as it gets. Bummer.
The fellow with the sport coupe encourages kids to sit in the rumble seat. I have them sit in the driver's seat of my tudor. Mom, Dad, you got a cell phone with camera??
Hardly ever does any one ever touch the cars . We answer a lot of folks questions. Sometimes we're the only "old" cars there.
We have a good time, solve all the problems of the world.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #39
Mike V. Florida

Like others, I have had the person that comments negatively about my car. But unlike most, I take that as an icebreaker. I think of it as a conversation starter between them and I. Most ofter the story goes something like "I had one like that when I was younger, had to sell it when the family came about, etc, etc, etc. It was not that long ago that correct information about our cars was not easy to be found. I rarely correct them and if I do it goes something like "oh, I thought it was like ...." I have met these people more than once at shows and it's always hi, how are you doing, etc. Sure, once in a great while you get an ass but if he is an ass about a car he does not own then he is an ass in almost all things.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:43 AM   #40
kbinde2

Hagley Museum (Delaware) is a nice show we go to in September. The venue and assortment of cars is awesome. A different theme each year for special interest, and a general category that draws about 500-600 vehicles. No judging or trophy, just a family day to enjoy our hobby.! Always some steam, early electric, and a good representation of hobby and collector vehicles.
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote