Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
51504bat

Default Pulling the front clip on a '54 Ranch Wagon

I'm getting ready to pull the 239 and 3 speed in my '54 Ranch Wagon to install a 302 and AOD. In the process I'm going to completely rebuild the front end with new parts including the springs and rewire the entire car. It's been suggested that I should pull the front clip off to make things easier for all the work that is going to be done. Don't know how hard it is to pull the front clip or if it would be worth the effort. Anyone pulled the front clip off a '54 Ford and if so how intensive is the process? I realize that it would be much easier to do everything that I'm planning on without the fenders, etc. in the way but don't know if I'm asking for more trouble by doing so. Thanks all.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Pulling the front clip on a '54 Ranch Wagon

Not only is it more trouble than time saving, but may be difficult to line up afterwards. The front end rebuilding is easier when three hands are involved with the tools I used. I used a big vice to press out and back in the A arm bushings. If you can still find one, Granada spindles and disc brakes are a near bolt on. Springs meant for an Aerostar will lower the front with the lighter engine. An aftermarket one or 1 1/8 front sway bar will make it handle like a slot car.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
darrell

another thing if your cars paint job is good you can get a lot of chips getting it on and off.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
56sedandelivery

I did my 56 and while not hard there were a ton of nuts and bolts to remove. Did my because it is down to bare shell and having body work done. Would not do it if it were painted.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
51504bat

Thanks to all for the replies. After reading all of them plus the ones on the HAMB I'm probably leave well enough alone and not pull the clip.

Last edited by 51504bat; 09-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.
51504bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
poolplayer1

I have a 55 ford ranch wagon that I replaced just about everything in the front end,including the upper and lower control arm bushings,springs,tie- rods,centerlink,and any other part that needed to be replaced.I did all this without removing the front clip.
My wiring was all in pretty good shape and therefore,did not have to be replaced.
Back many years ago I had already removed the 272 engine along with the 3 speed manual tranny and replaced the engine with a 302 and I used a C4 transmission to replace the manual tranny. Still not done yet but I'm at 90% done.
poolplayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote