Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Sound deadening and Insulation Materials

Where can one purchase the sticky back sound deadening material? I know there is a guy that makes kits for the whole vehicle, but I believe that I could cure a lot of my "jalopy" sound with a roll that I could cut to shape for the places that obviously could benefit from it. I was helping work on a high point phaeton and when we put a piece in the door I was amazed at the transformation in sound that resulted. The door shuts with a dull "thunk" instead of a tinny sound. I have also seen peel and stick insulation kits. Same question, what stores might have it in bulk rolls?

Thanks (Watch for the story of the Ace Mechanic struggling to get unwrapped, after I tackle this endeavor)
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
Smooth_One

Default Re: Sound deadening and Insulation Materials

Dynamat 10415 10" x 10" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Speaker Kit - Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00020CATC..._y9EOAbQCVE6H5
Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Ed Wendell

Davey,
I bought my Dynamat from a local auto stereo shop. You might call around your area.
Ed
Ed Wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Bikerider58

Ebay. I did a truck several years ago.. monster mat or something.

Degrease surface before applying. A small roller works well.
Bikerider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Davey, recent thread... Model A Floor Insulation https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237012
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #6
aermotor

3M OEM sound deadening pads sold by Finishmaster locally.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 AM   #7
Dave in MN

I am in the process of installing X-Mat available from Eastwood. The material lays in very easy. I just painted the body and find that a rag with a little lacquer thinner on it to final wipe the interior surface really makes the product stick. The lacquer rag removes any accumilated dust.

One box did 90% of the outer panels and entire firewall. I have a second box to finish and should have enough to do all of the floor except under the rear seat.

I plan to add light weight foil faced thermal insulation to the walls and roof before installing the interior and top material. I will use 3-M 77 High strength contact adhesive on the walls and will "sew" the material to the bottom of the chicken wire in the roof. I don't think adhesive would hold the material in the roof so I will be using cotton "chalk line" (strong) and a plastic yarn needle. I will cut strips to fit between the roof ribs.

UPDATE: I added two photos showing the two layers of foil faced insulation. Note the cotton cord stitching on the roof insulation (partially completed) to keep it tight against the chicken wire. I also installed one layer of the foil faced insulation in the four doors. The 1/4" thickness is not even close to interfering with the window or lock mechanisms.

Hoping the extra material and work is worth the effort. I will report back when I get the car on the road this summer.

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 03-14-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
desotoguy

Local Lowe's store has a material that is pretty much the same as the more expensive advertised products. The product is on a roll, used as a roof sealing product, found in the roof shingle area. This is plain black on the face, similar product with a foil facing used to seal outside windows on new construction. Much cheaper, will do the job, and once covered up no one will know that you saved hundreds.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #9
chap52

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoguy View Post
Local Lowe's store has a material that is pretty much the same as the more expensive advertised products. The product is on a roll, used as a roof sealing product, found in the roof shingle area. This is plain black on the face, similar product with a foil facing used to seal outside windows on new construction. Much cheaper, will do the job, and once covered up no one will know that you saved hundreds.
Apply with some 3M spray adhesive. Much cheaper and does the job. Chap
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #10
Cool Hand Lurker

And now the other side of the story....

I did two interior roofs with the 3M spray adhesive and both came unstuck under the summer sun before I got the headliner in place. My current Model A Tudor and 47 Coupe have the headliners in place and whatever the former owners put above the headliners has come loose and is sitting on the headliner. Not fun work ahead.

I thought about spraying bedliner on or using the roofing sealer membrane but do I risk it and have the same problems again?

I don't think this is a place for going cheap. (Mannn....... I can't believe I just said that! )))
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

I just turn down my hearing aids!

For me, the heat in summer is a bigger problem. Do the sound deadeners help to reduce the heat?

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
chap52

It sure helped with my 52 F-1 and I live in the Tucson, Arizona area. The 3M never let go.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
duke36

Just a reminder that water can get down in the doors/windows which may affect the insulation's performance.. We found a factory installed substance like roofing mastic for sound deadener in our car doors and that could be another alternative but probably won't have the insulating value with modern insulation. We also found weep holes in the floors (to channel water from town sedan rear operable windows) which could be blocked by insulation.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Russ B

Dynamat Extreme can occasionally be purchased at a very good price, if you watch for good sales, on Amazon. I used a lot on my cabriolet and it really quieted the car down. I test drove mine for a year before painting with only the doors done. After painting, I covered as much as possible and would really recommend it for any Model A. On my 51 Ford I used it and also covered the interior and headliner with the Dynafoam(?) which cut exterior noise even more.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:22 PM   #15
Cool Hand Lurker

Exactly which 3M spray adhesive did you guys use? The make several variations for different uses.

Also, what is the best way to prepare the surface on the old paint so that the adhesive will bond well?
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #16
john in illinois

I used Dynamat in my Tudor and it has held up well for almost 10 years.

There is a better and less expensive product called Fat Max Rattle trap. It is thicker than dynmat and needs no spray adhesive. It is self stick like dynamat.

I used this in my 30 Roadster and it is great. I would recommend it.

https://www.fatmat.com/shop/rattle-trap-sheet-6589

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 03-11-2018 at 05:51 PM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
burner31

Post #8, sound advice, just finished up my car, saved a bundle, works great and looks good. Use the good 3M spray adhesive.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #18
Cool Hand Lurker

I like Dave In MN's idea of sewing the material onto the chicken wire IF the headliner has to come off in my Model A. It makes me wonder if it would work to use some of the really strong magnets you can get now as anchor points stuck on the underside of a metal roof for a web that would hold the insulation.
?????
Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
Alaska Jim

How did you guys get the sound deadener in to the doors? My 29 roadster doors have pretty small holes to try and put that stuff through, and then trying to take the liner off so that it can stick. any good suggestions, short of cutting the door open and then welding it shut again?
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #20
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
How did you guys get the sound deadener in to the doors? My 29 roadster doors have pretty small holes to try and put that stuff through, and then trying to take the liner off so that it can stick. any good suggestions, short of cutting the door open and then welding it shut again?
Never did say it would be easy.
Thats why post #8, and spray adhesive, gives you a little time to position material
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote