Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #21
vern hodgson

Red face Re: Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Millbrae is a nice part of the Bay Area..Regardless if you think its a scam or not,posting his full contact info on the internet without his permission is a rotten thing to do...if you dont want to do business with him dont,but dont bandy his name and address around cause you THINK he might be fishy.
Use paypal to pay for the parts,they have a dispute policy that protects you.I just sold an entire car with emailed pictures and took payment over paypal..the transport showed and the 57 Oval Vw was gone..cash in hand. Ive never been burned buying parts from strangers over the internet..most,if not all are guys like you and me...you'd have to be a pretty unique (and stupid) criminal to hustle someone over some car parts.
He does not.....

Use pay pal
Use internet
Informed me postal rates would rise this past Monday so I needed to act now
Have the ability to post pictures
Initially could not mail to my home address but later said he could.
He did Offered to find a location from which I could send him money
He said he found my name and want on a piece of paper in his truck from almost a year ago, I posted the ad on the barn in march of this year.

Put these all together and to me it raises questions. That's all I am saying and if he wants to sell these parts and is legit, I just advertised for him. Nuff said.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #22
nhusa

Default Re: Scam?

use google maps to check out 739 clear field lane. Milbrae ca - you'll see that there is no Clearfield lane -- it is Clearfield drive -

I would attach a picture if I could figure out how to do it.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
Bob C

And the house at Clearfield Dr is for sale at $1.75 million
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M23185-40435

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #24
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
He does not.....

Use pay pal
Use internet
Informed me postal rates would rise this past Monday so I needed to act now
Have the ability to post pictures
Initially could not mail to my home address but later said he could.
He did Offered to find a location from which I could send him money
He said he found my name and want on a piece of paper in his truck from almost a year ago, I posted the ad on the barn in march of this year.

Put these all together and to me it raises questions. That's all I am saying and if he wants to sell these parts and is legit, I just advertised for him. Nuff said.
Now I see, no internet? no electronic funds transfer? act now?
... that red flags like crazy.anyone who uses electronic funds transfer leaves a paper trail that deters criminals...what you're now describing is the only way you can run a scam and get away with it.Sorry if I came on strong,you didn't mention this in your first post.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
pat59

Skip it. Way too fishy.
pat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #26
copgib

I have been trying to find a rear trunk lid for my brother's 1926 Dodge Brothers Coupe. A guy from California texted me stating he had a real nice one and wants $250 including shipping. I thought this was strange because I never told him where I was located to send it too. I asked for pictures about 6-times and he has never responded back or sent any pictures. I believe it was a scam. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #27
1928Mik

Vern, Pat59 is right. I would skip that guy in a heartbeat. Also that house for 1.75 big ones? Amazing what they ask out there. That would go for 250K maybe, around these parts....

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #28
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Guy calls me from California offering to sell some model a parts I was looking for. Wants to do the deal right away. I had advertised for them a year or so back. He goes by the name of Armando Castro, says his father has used the barn before. Can any one shed any light on this? I am traveling in Utah at the present time???

Hey Vern,
Are you a fisherman ?
If yes, you should recognize 'baited hook' when you smell/see one, eh !
Where do you go when you are fishing...A: where the 'fish' are.
And, if you are not a youth, when do you do ANYTHING 'right away' ?
It is obvious that 'Armando' knows where the fish are, but that he is lost after that at how to skillfully catch fish.
Your instincts are still working, enjoy Utah.

Hm, Castro is giving the left coast a bad name/rep ! Well, that already happened, never mind.

Last edited by hardtimes; 03-17-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: ............
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #29
Paul Bennett

Which part is a scam? Living in California and having hispanic name, maybe? Can't you just say 'no thanks' to him and I'd have ten minutes to read real car threads. Darn, I actually thought there was some real interesting gossip to spread.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bennett View Post
Which part is a scam? Living in California and having hispanic name, maybe? Can't you just say 'no thanks' to him and I'd have ten minutes to read real car threads. Darn, I actually thought there was some real interesting gossip to spread.
What’s the matter with you Paul?
Pretty relevant with so many scammers out there and yeah one red flag is the always act now part.
28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #31
3.6rs

I ordered and paid for a few Willys parts from a webshop business in Northern Netherlands 6 weeks ago. After a couple of minutes I received an email "thank you for your order..." Two weeks later still no parts or shipping comfirmation. I emailed the guy a few times, no answers, try to phone the business ; "no one available at the moment", then when I told huim in an email that I made a file and was going to my lawyer he respjnded with ; "my father is very sick, bla bla bla". Can be and I told him I was sorry...
Now, six weeks later and dozens of emails still nothing and no answers. Same thing with the phone. I try to contact him on his two facebook pages : no reaction. I contacted his wife (that I found on facebook) she answered me right away : "he has his head full right now with his father being sick, ...I will tell him". A couple of days later I contacted her again and asked her to tell her husband to refund me or send the parts asap, she told me "leave me alone !".
I can send the name of the guy and the business to anyone who might be interested.

Last edited by 3.6rs; 03-19-2018 at 12:31 AM.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:10 AM   #32
desotoguy

If I inquire, or get an uninvited response to an inquire from someone and the response seems fishy, especially if they are asking for information or payment by money order, I ask for their address to send money, then reply that my brother in law lives only 30 minutes away and I will have him come over to pick up the item and pay cash. Always end of process.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.6rs View Post
I ordered and paid for a few Willys parts from a webshop business in Northern Netherlands 6 weeks ago. After a couple of minutes I received an email "thank you for your order..." Two weeks later still no parts or shipping comfirmation. I emailed the guy a few times, no answers, try to phone the business ; "no one available at the moment", then when I told huim in an email that I made a file and was going to my lawyer he respjnded with ; "my father is very sick, bla bla bla". Can be and I told him I was sorry...
Now, six weeks later and dozens of emails still nothing and no answers. Same thing with the phone. I try to contact him on his two facebook pages : no reaction. I contacted his wife (that I found on facebook) she answered me right away : "he has his head full right now with his father being sick, ...I will tell him". A couple of days later I contacted her again and asked her to tell her husband to refund me or send the parts asap, she told me "leave me alone !".
I can send the name of the guy and the business to anyone who might be interested.
Ouch. Thieves know no boundaries.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote