Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2021, 10:23 PM   #1
pjdeb

Default Need Advice on Emergency Brake Shoes

I recently put cast iron drums on my 1930 pick up. Installed all new service brake components. Fronts and rears work great. Will lock up if needed.

When adjusting the brakes my right rear wheel does not turn freely even with the adjuster all the way out. The wheel will spin forward, but it takes a fair amount of force to move it. Brake rods are off.

So, in diagnosing the problem, I removed the emergency brake shoes. All is well. Wheel now spins freely.

Even on the left rear, where I could feel a high spot before, after removing the emergency brake shoe, wheel spins freely without the feel of a high spot.

Emergency brake shoes are new. Woven type. Tapered the leading edges. New springs. New retraction springs outside on backing plates.
Rods disconnected.

So what is the best way to deal with the tight e brakes shoes? 1: Adjust the service brakes to where they need to be. Put the emergency brake shoes back on and let them wear in? (Living in the flat and of Florida, I never use the emergency brake.)

Or 2: use making tape or blue dye to find the high spots or entire arc on woven shoes and reduce by grinding?

3: Something else?

I have swapped drums left and right with no change. I has to be the e brake shoes.

Advice please for this first timer/new to model A guy.
pjdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #2
JBill

Default Re: Need Advice on Emergency Brake Shoes

If they're really tight I wouldn't try number 1. Number 2 sounds like a much better plan to me. I don't know if you even have to do all the things you suggest with tape and dye. I'd just grind/sand them down across the whole surface and see what happens after that. If no joy, then go for the more elaborate procedure. Somebody else might have better ideas. Maybe thinner e-brake linings are available. I just don't know.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
ahirt

Are you sure you are mounting the e-brake shoes correctly? They have an "inside" and an "outside" when they mount on the e-brake carrier. If you mount them wrong side in then they can cant (lean to one side) which could be causing the drag.
ahirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
John

When installing new cast iron drums, the drums must be turned. On the rears, I get the mechanic to turn the emergency brake surface also. This makes sure that the emergency brake surface is concentric with the service brake surface and hub center. It also helps if the emergency brake friction is a bit oversize.

You may wish to get the e-brake surface on the tight drum checked on a brake lathe.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote