Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
29ModelA

Default Can the header wood on a Murray 4 door be replaced without a total teardown?

I have a friend with a Murray 4 door in very good shape. Everything is solid and straight - except the windshield is sagging and hitting the cowl because he can't keep it tight into the header wood. He would like to replace just this piece if possible so he can open and close the windshield. How bad of job would this be?

Thank you

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Can the header wood on a Murray 4 door be replaced without a total teardown?

If I remember right, the header cap is attached to body and the wood from the front of the car to the rear is bolted to a bracket that also attached to the header.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Default Re: Can the header wood on a Murray 4 door be replaced without a total teardown?

That is the one piece my dad did NOT change when he restored his car. Namely he and I are scared to try and replicate it. My gut feeling is that you will need to do a lot of tearing apartof the car to get it out and replaced. but if it has to be done it has to be done.

Mike
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
Roadster62

I've got two, that I can look at tomorrow, a complete cowl and a visor with the header. The visor is leaded into the top, so there is a lot of work to get at the wood. Maybe making a metal flitch plate is the way to fix your problem. Bob

Last edited by Roadster62; 08-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Roadster62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Farrell In Vancouver

What about just repairing the existing screwholes with glue and wood plugs?
That way just the top hinge and windshield need only be removed for the fix. Hopefully the header is sound enough to allow this?
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
chiliman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
fill the screw holes with pc woodie then drill reinstall screws its great stuff have a blessed day
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
What about just repairing the existing screwholes with glue and wood plugs?
That way just the top hinge and windshield need only be removed for the fix. Hopefully the header is sound enough to allow this?
We had talked about this, but was not sure it would hold. The rest of the body wood seems to be in dang good shape or I don't think he would mind tearing it apart completely. The doors close better and more solid than many modern cars.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I would try the easy fix first as in #5 and 6. I've heard many good reports with both ways to fix it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
KGBnut

I just did the roof in my 30 Coupe. I can't say how it compares to a Murray, but I will say that it proved to be a much bigger job than I anticipated. One of the biggest challenges was the proper fitting of the header. We got the roof wood from Bratton's. The quality was great. Everyone tells you that the header has to be custom fitted, but no one is clear about what that entails. We had the fool thing in and out at least three times.

If I could have repaired the existing header with glue and dowels, it would have been a lot easier. I would recommend at least giving it a try.

I think you would need to pull only the windshield/hinge, and perhaps the header cover to repair the header. Replacing it would leave you with no choice but to remove the front of the headliner and the roof.

My original roof wood was unrecoverable, and I'm really glad that I tackled the job. The results were good, and I got tremendous satisfaction... but still wish I didn't have to....

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #10
Dick Carne

Both the Briggs and Murray straight windshield bodies have similar set-ups for the wood header, and yes, it is a fairly comprehensive job to change out a header. As Mike stated above, the side rails are tied into the front header, both on top with wood screws and with a pair of angle braces on either side of the front inside header. The front face plate under the visor is also nailed across the top, which begs the question of both how to get the old nails out and then how to nail the new ones in with the visor on. There is also a metal tack strip that goes across the top of the header that ties the top material down - which must be removed and reattached, with special emphasis on not damaging the exiting top fabric during the removal process, and then sealing the top again once replaced. And then there is the inside upholstery panel that attaches to the header once installed.

By far and above the best interim resolution strategy would be to drill out any weak screw holes and glue in an oak dowel, then drill for a new screw hole once the glue securing the dowel has set up - still not a real easy task considering that the windshield will require removal, dowel installation, drilling for new screws, alignment, and re-installation of the windshield - but when faced with the alternative of a complete header replacement, this is by far the better choice if the present wood header still has any remaining structural integrity.

Good luck which ever route you decide to take.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Quigley1930

I would remove the windshield and hinge then poke an awl in the holes to see if there's any solid wood. If it feels good use drive some dowel stock in the holes. I like dowel plugs as hey are grooved and hold glue better. You may have to use more than one depending on the depth of the hole. If you don't feel any solid wood Maybe remove the inside header pane(upholstery) as this will give you an idea what you are facing.

Sewall Tyler
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Jordan

Can't you cut a zig zag in the middle of the header and place each half in separately? Then glue it together once you have both halves in?
Old 08-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
clocey

I am just now completing the replacement of my header and top fabric. I agree with all that has been said that it is a involved project. The new header required a LOT of sanding and filing to get it to fit the way I wanted it to.
The main reason for you to try to repair the header is the need to pull the hidem and tacks from the visor to free it from the roof material. If you are not planning on replacing the roof, this could be VERY tricky. Good luck and keep us posted on what is decided.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #14
chiliman

take a surange mix the pc wooide and inject like a shot let set over night and drill sure fixed the saging doors on mighty manfred have a blessed day
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
richsfords

Default replacing roof S/W

Had enough of leaks, replacing roof, and with the header exposed can it be replaced at this time without tearing apart the whole car.
scale 1-10 its about a 5, thinking its the best time to do it if worth while. thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #16
aonemarine

Learn from the wooden boat guys
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/boatl...04_120_001_009
aonemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #17
Terry, NJ

Go to "My A" in my profile. Mine is a Briggs, but I don't believe the is any great difference in the headers. I have a lot of pics of my Town Sedan's header. Unless you are an accomplished cabinet maker, I wouldn't try to fabricate one myself. It's an assembly of several different pieces with angles and curves.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Smurkey

It's going to be a tough replacement if you don't plan on removing the roof panels, but I think it can be done.

You'll unscrew the windshield hinge, remove the upholstery cardboard, and pull the nails for the exterior "cap." If you leave the roof sides on it'll be tough to get at the attachment points and the bow "stringer."

After reflection during typing this I think you should plan for it when you plan a roof replace/repaint...good stopgap might be an epoxy or wood hole fill. Good luck, post pics.
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #19
Jay's Model A's

Location: New Braunfels, Texas.. Member of Alamo A's, MARC & MAFCA

I recently replaced all of the wood above the windows on a 30 Murray. I cut all of them out including the front and rear headers. I got the wood from a shop in South Carolina. When I received the wood everything seamed to be either too long or too short. The fellow at the wood shop said to either use a pipe stretcher or a set of ratchet straps to align the metal body, everything fits like a glove..I did have to use a 5 lb.hammer to get the rear header in the correct position. In regards to the front header, the side metal roof panels can be taken loose from the front metal panel, you may have to shave some wood from the front panel to get the front and side panels to true up, again you may need to shave some front panel and get your ratchet straps to tighten all of the wood and metal to line up correctly, then you put on your visor on. My doors align great, and the body looks great...Jay Pearcy
Jay's Model A's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
Utopia Texas

I had the same problem back in 1988 when I was rebuilding my '31 and this was by myself and without the Internet. Poking into the screw holes in the header I found two areas that appeared to be soft past the holes so not knowing any better I bought some two part epoxy, the kind with two Siamese syringes connected together and pumped as much as I could into all the screw holes. Two of the holes took more than a screw void. Let it dry and installed the windshield. All these years later everything is still just fine and solid.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote