Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #21
Flathead Youngin'

Default Re: What were the chances!

Oh, now it's getting interesting!

We gotta see pics and vids if you get to take the 'ole fella a ride...
Old 01-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #22
PeterC

Amazing detective work! Thanks for helping solve the mystery!
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #23
big job

Not yet Peter. Just now junk yard Stevie called me. William Gell born 1905 to 1997 died in the Swansea nursing home. He had two sons 'gone' one daughter now in her 80's.
The twist is, the owner of the towing company, tow's for Steve, is "Flash" we call him, and
he is in his 80's, back then he was a school teacher and had Williams kids in school. He
said the Gells moved to Somerset, next town date 70's or 80's unknown. Ole Flash went
to school with Williams daughter, He will try to contact her. So both partys are in there
80's so the daughter must remember something.. we getting hot now.. I remember
all these cars after the war, people & soldiers were broke many 30's cars my father
worked on; OK she is 10yrs older than me, That puts her in prime time for remembering
your car most likely during the war, IF flash can speak with her. Thank you Peter and
yes, I was a detective Sgt. 'when I had a job LOL' We do have our ways. Case not closed yet. Now 'Flash" is the key man in this case when he gets to the daughter. sam
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #24
PeterC

Another interesting fact on this 1935 Ford Coupe “what were the chances” - some of you may recall...

When restoring the Coupe to its current condition, I replaced the original stock 21 stud engine to a more powerful 1948 59AB. What’s amazing is The original 21 stud was re-manufactured by Portland Clutch in Portland Maine on June 24, 1977. Per the Portland Clutch rebuild tag affixed to the drivers side of the block - Ford Barns very own Walt Dupont of Portland Maine built this engine (has his initials stamped on the tag as well! What were the chances of that!
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #25
RobR'35

That is very cool as well!!
RobR'35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:28 PM   #26
Clem Clement

I have most of the bill's of sale for my Daddy's Fords from the first on in 1917
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:11 AM   #27
Karl

I have the original ownership papers for my 34 Fordor and have been to the house the original owner lived in . More interestingly the 3rd owner kept a log book from the day he brought the car in 1935 until he died in 1977. Every mile traveled and every cent he spent on the car is recorded. He seemed to go through a lot of tires -bad roads i guess, He was a WW1 military hero and hence I have lots of information on him including lots of photos.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:56 AM   #28
D. Jones

If you're really interested in finding out more about the original owner you might try going to the local library or historical society and looking for a city directory for Swansea for that time period. It will generally list a persons name, address and employer. A later addition may list another address for the person or possibly a wife or children that inherited the house. The city water department for Swansea may have a record for the person giving the dates they lived in the house. Another place to check is the local funeral home as they may have a record of the persons death and the death certificate may have some family information. The local newspaper archive may have an obituary with a great deal of information.

Just my $0.02 worth.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #29
hook00pad

Census reports are done every 10 years, and are good records for people living in a specific city or county. They can also provide a few historic details.

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote