Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Bill Goddard

Default AvGas in the ford

Can you use 100 octane Avgas in a model A? Bill G
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: AvGas in the ford

Yes.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Railcarmover
BANNED

Just be careful.its a slippery slope..the next thing you know your building a car for the salt...so broke the kids are eating the putty out the windows,racing broke..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Synchro909

You don't need the octane avgas has but for you guys, at least it doesn't contain ethanol.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Just be careful.its a slippery slope..the next thing you know your building a car for the salt...so broke the kids are eating the putty out the windows,racing broke..
A true racer spends everything he makes on racing, minus 10% to live on....
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #6
Werner

Hello Bill,

Avgas ist perfect fuell: no ethanol, contains plumbum. Pb is a perfect grease for the valves and the top piston ring.
I drive it von time to time in all my old cars.

B.t.w.: In Germany Avgas is very expensive: 10,-/gallone.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:00 AM   #7
Dodge

It is possible but illegal as the are no road taxes on it.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Keith True

I just don't know why you would need 100 octane gas for a car that was built when 67 octane was the good stuff.One company was so proud of their high octane gas they named their stations after it,Phillips 66.Some used to get it at an airport about 15 miles from me,but they got caught on the road tax thing.Now they will sell it to you if you bring a can,and tell them it's for your lawn mower.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Werner

Tach Keith,
it's not about the high octane number, which is unimportant. The big (technical) advantage is that Avgas contains lead.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
A true racer spends everything he makes on racing, minus 10% to live on....
Their innovation drives the whole hobby..I just don't have what it takes to build it then break it.Big difference between 'if' and 'when'..a street guy fixes it if it breaks,a racer when it breaks.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I just don't know why you would need 100 octane gas for a car that was built when 67 octane was the good stuff.One company was so proud of their high octane gas they named their stations after it,Phillips 66.Some used to get it at an airport about 15 miles from me,but they got caught on the road tax thing.Now they will sell it to you if you bring a can,and tell them it's for your lawn mower.
Legend has it that Frank Philips named the company for Route 66, the most-traveled highway in the US, although the headquarters was in Bartlesville, on Route 60. Guess he figured 66 was faster.

The refinery on the south side of the highway really stunk up the place, i remember.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
Keith True

There is also a story about it being named Phillips 66 because it was the 66th attempt at a formulation.I had read the naming after the octane in an article by the Conoco oil company about the progress of gas refining over the years.Werner,lead was not in widespread use at the time of the A either.I won't say it was non-existent,because it was being experimented with.I have the first gas pump that dispensed leaded gas in my town.It was right after the war,and the store owner told me that his first load of leaded gas went sour before he could sell it all.The old folks didn't like change then either.Some had the idea there was metal in their gas.The only plus I see to it is that it does keep very well.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Purdy Swoft

One hundred octane gas was available at most filling stations up until around 1970 and shortly after . The octane was posted on the pumps . Ethyl gas or premium as we called it was usually one hundred octane or more . Regular gas was usually 94 octane . I always used ethyl gas in everything that I run including the lawn mower. Higher octane gives a bit more power . If hundred octane gas was still locally available at a reasonable price , I would still use it .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #14
juanvaldez

The octane rating system has changed since the old days. The new method R + M / 2 averages research and motor octane and give a lower number. I think modern 93 is really around 100 by the old method. Modern avgas, 100 LL is really around 93 octane by modern method. As for lead, 100 LL has about four times (2 grams/gallon) the lead as the old eythl and really fouls plugs.
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
rotorwrench

A person used to be able to purchase 80/87 for lower compression engines but those days are long gone. 100LL is one of the most stable fuels there is obviously due to it's intended purpose. It is called low lead but it still has more TEL than any normal auto fuel. I've had trouble with lead fouling on 10:1 compression aircraft engines so a person should expect some on low compression engines. It will work but it's overkill on most antique engines with low compression. The price is high and it's a PITA to buy. You won't find it an the local stop & rob.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #16
Bob-A

Smile Re: AvGas in the ford

For my two Harley's I mix 110 octane leaded racing gas with 90 octane non-ethanol gas. It does make a difference, but you do have to be careful to not add to much of the racing gas.

Bob-A

Skirts are for women, not car fenders!
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

The lead in the older high octane gas at the pump reduced timing knock . With leaded gas timing could be set more advance and have no knocks , with more power . Gulf use to sell gas they called NONOX . My spelling may not be exactly like Gulf spelled it but close .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:22 PM   #18
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
Legend has it that Frank Philips named the company for Route 66, the most-traveled highway in the US, although the headquarters was in Bartlesville, on Route 60. Guess he figured 66 was faster.
That's a new one on me! I have read many accounts stating that Philips 66 was so named because they were so proud of selling gas with 66 octane.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:29 PM   #19
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
A person used to be able to purchase 80/87 for lower compression engines but those days are long gone. 100LL is one of the most stable fuels there is obviously due to it's intended purpose. It is called low lead but it still has more TEL than any normal auto fuel. I've had trouble with lead fouling on 10:1 compression aircraft engines so a person should expect some on low compression engines. It will work but it's overkill on most antique engines with low compression. The price is high and it's a PITA to buy. You won't find it an the local stop & rob.
Rotorwrench, Now you've got me curious. What little I know about aircraft engines has led me to believe that 10 to 1 was way too much compression for an engine running under constant heavy load (wide open or nearly wide open), especially air cooled and/or super/turbocharged. Are you referring to aero-race engines like in the Reno Air Races? Thanks!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #20
Floats

40 Deluxe,
Aero engines do not run ‘under constant heavy load’. Most aero engines have a maximum speed of about 2700 rpm and climb rpm @2500 and around 2400 to 2450 at cruise.
Aircraft engine speed is limited to propeller speed which becomes inefficient at higher speeds. At higher engine speeds, a reduction gearbox is required to maintain a prop speed of around 2000 rpm, depending on the propellor design.
Dakota engines and props turn at around 1800rpm in the cruise.
Your observation of ‘constant heavy load’ is mostly prop noise related and not engine loads.
Regards
Chris
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote