Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #1801
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas with family, and that Santa brought what you wanted... Yesterday, Don, Keith and Cliff came over to play in the garage. We installed a new gas tank in Don's '50 rag top but, not much else, as I had company coming from out of town, and had been given my marching orders to make things ready for the visitors... Next on the agenda for the '50 is to install new fuel and brake lines. After that, the '50 will be leaving my garage and going to a new location where we will continue working on it. I will be able to turn my attention back to the '39 LZ and, hopefully get her up and running, and be able to use her during the 2015 Florida "Barner's Bash".
Old 12-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #1802
Vic Piano

Old 01-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #1803
Vic Piano

We finally got back into the garage to play yesterday, Don, Mike and Art came over and we got a bunch of work done on Don's '50 rag top. I messed with the '39 LZ, so I could fire her up, only to discover that the battery wouldn't hold a charge... so, we went for PIZZA... This morning I decided to pull the wiper motor out of the LZ to see if I could get it to work again. I cleaned it up and tested it using the vacuum from the '51 F-1. The unit is back to working well. I reinstalled the unit only to discover that the original wiper switch will not work with this unit (no wonder someone had removed the original switch and relocated an after-market cable to operate the wiper motor). I went to the handy Ford Service Bulletin book (thanks again to Bill Wzorek) only to discover that the wiper motor in the Zephyr is not an OEM unit... Actually, this unit looks much more substantial than the LZ unit. This unit was made by the Anderson Company of Gary, Indiana, it has an adjustable wiping arc. Other markings on it include; Anco MAXI-VAC model MV-3.

In typical Ford fashion, the Service Bulletin does not list individual part numbers for the wiper motors, just a SUBJECT NO. 17508 to identify the wiper motor in the Ford, Mercury, Lincoln Zephyr and Lincoln Model K, even though they are all different. Unfortunately, I don't have a part number for the OEM '39 LZ wiper motor. If any of you have a good part number and/or a source for the correct wiper motor, I would really appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #1804
41ford1

Vic,
Check your mizlou email.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:26 AM   #1805
Vic Piano

Chuck, thanks, I emailed you back... that's the same info I've got. Every wiper motor has the same numeric designation, even though each one is different...???
Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #1806
41ford1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think the key is the prefix no.
39 Ford: 91A-17503
39 LZ: 17508

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #1807
Vic Piano

To the best of my knowledge, '39 LZ part number prefix is; 96H... But, the Service Bulletin does not show a prefix on the LZ but it does on the '39 Ford, 91A and the '39 Merc, 99A. It's another Ford anomaly I guess. I'll contact some of the LZ parts places today, to see if I can fine the correct wiper motor.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #1808
copperpenny

96H 17508 is the correct part number for the 39 LZ windshield wiper motor. Illustrated on page 282 of the master parts catalog. Merv Atkins probably has one.
copperpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #1809
green50

Hi Vic, glad to see you got back in the garage to play. How's Don's '50 coming along? Got it close to running yet?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #1810
Vic Piano

Hi Gene, Don's '50 is coming together albeit very slowly... We did get the gas tank in and hooked up all the shift linkage, etc. Hopefully we'll be able to get it up on the lift next Saturday and install the new fuel line and brake lines...
Old 02-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #1811
Vic Piano

We had a very productive day yesterday, at the Cigar City Flatheads garage, aka the playhouse. The crew on hand included Steve, Cliff, Don and Dick. We got a lot of work done on Don's '50 rag top and we had a banner day where my '39 Lincoln Zephyr Convertible is concerned, we buttoned up most of the loose ends for the ignition wiring and actually fired her up and drove out of the garage and around the block. I still have a lot to do as far as getting everything back together in the LZ but, it sure was fun driving her again, even if I was sitting on an old milk crate... We finished everything off with a visit to our local deli for PIZZA. Here are a few photos of some of the fun. Steve has been busy adding some nice touches to his already very cool '46 Coupe, and Dick has done some nice detailing under the hood of his '39 Coupe. After we 'kicked tires' for a while, it was time to get down to some serious fun in the garage. After we got the LZ running, we all pilled into my '39 CS and went for PIZZA. As usual, we had a blast and I want to thank all the guys for their help.

Last edited by Vic Piano; 02-01-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Vic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #1812
Vic Piano

Yesterday, while most of the world was watching Football, I was playing in the garage. I reinstalled the rear interior quarter panels and rear seat in the '39 LZ, washed her, and the '63 Studebaker Avanti, and did some much needed cleaning up in the garage. I'll take playin' with Flatheads over watching Football any time.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #1813
Ed Pitts

Vic, cars and garage look great, BUT where's the Pizza box? Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #1814
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Pitts View Post
Vic, cars and garage look great, BUT
where's the Pizza box? Ed
Under the Flatheads / using them as drip pans !!!
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #1815
Vic Piano

Ed, we only do PIZZA on Saturday, yesterday I was solo. Bill's got a good idea for the pizza box though.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #1816
green50

Vic, is that poster on Don's windshield for inspiration and encouragement?
Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #1817
Vic Piano

You bet Gene...
Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #1818
Vic Piano

Yesterday Mike, Don and Cliff came to play in the garage. Mostly we worked on Don's '50 Convertible. Actually, Mike and Don did most of the work on the '50 while Cliff and I messed with the '39 LZ taillights and brake lights, buttoning up any loose connections.

I am very pleased with the way the Zephyr is running, we still have to install the instrument cluster, wiper motor, etc. but that hasn't stopped me from cruisin in the Zephyr... After all, I had to burn off the bag gas... I really want to thank everyone that had a hand in getting the LZ back on the road, including all the Cigar City Flatheads, Charlie NY for his work on the carb, Jim Linder of Bubba's, for his rebuild of the distributor and Skip Haney for the rebuild of the coil and water pumps. As a result of all their efforts, the Zephyr is on the road again.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 AM   #1819
Vic Piano

Saturday was a busy day at the Cigar City Flatheads 'play house'... Mike, Don, Hal, Keith, Al, and a cast of thousands... came out to play. Unfortunately, I had a bad case of Gout, that made it difficult for me to be of much help (some guys would say I'm always that way) so, I assumed a supervisory roll for the day. Mike and Don finished plumbing the brake lines on Don's '50 Rag Top, while the rest of us did a lot of tire kickin', until it was time for PIZZA. I drove the '39 LZ even though it was tough to work the clutch (left foot had the gout). The weather was cool for us, in the mid 60's and a bit windy but we managed to have fun and get a few things done. Now to focus on prepping a few flatheads for the Florida "Barner's Bash".
Old 02-16-2015, 02:12 PM   #1820
Lawson Cox

Wink Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Saturday was a busy day at the Cigar City Flatheads 'play house'... Mike, Don, Hal, Keith, Al, and a cast of thousands... came out to play. Unfortunately, I had a bad case of Gout, that made it difficult for me to be of much help (some guys would say I'm always that way) so, I assumed a supervisory roll for the day. Mike and Don finished plumbing the brake lines on Don's '50 Rag Top, while the rest of us did a lot of tire kickin', until it was time for PIZZA. I drove the '39 LZ even though it was tough to work the clutch (left foot had the gout). The weather was cool for us, in the mid 60's and a bit windy but we managed to have fun and get a few things done. Now to focus on prepping a few flatheads for the Florida "Barner's Bash".
Vic, don't you know that Pizza causes gout?? Especially when you only supervise good honest work.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote