Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
1928Mik

Default Barrett-Jackson

So if you saw the Barrett-Jackson auction last week, what are your thoughts? I personally decided the best thing was the Sold Sticker girl.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Barrett-Jackson

was she a Duesey???????????
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
Brokenvette

A Deluxe with nice twin side mounts.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:55 PM   #4
Big hammer

Leather seat covers! LOL
Old 01-29-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
Aretino

The prices they got for those cars was amazing.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:15 PM   #6
jb-ob

Dream on children......the single worst thing that happened to our hobby.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:07 PM   #7
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-ob View Post

Auctions?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:54 PM   #8
ModelA29

Auctions are a kick. I love the Barrett Jackson ones where the drinks are free and the rich guys get into bidding contests to prove whose pockets are deeper. Of course after the auction every POS on Craigslist get a new much higher price because theirs is "just like" the one that sold at Barrett Jackson.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:32 PM   #9
johnneilson

I thought eBay was the worst thing for the hobby

J
Old 01-30-2023, 04:36 AM   #10
ronn

over priced auctions- I agree.

it is stupid money...........
Old 01-30-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
WHN

They need to get some “Pole Dancers”.

Haze Gray and Underway! Remember the Purple Onion?

Crazy happenings.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:26 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Auctions are a kick. I love the Barrett Jackson ones where the drinks are free and the rich guys get into bidding contests to prove whose pockets are deeper. Of course after the auction every POS on Craigslist get a new much higher price because theirs is "just like" the one that sold at Barrett Jackson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
over priced auctions- I agree.

it is stupid money...........

You guys kill me. How do you suppose these "rich guys" got their money? Do you really think it is because they foolishly spend/spent their money overpaying for things??

IMHO, the worst thing that ever happened to our hobby is cheapskate Model-A owners who like to 'armchair appraise' the value of other people's cars. And, those 'appraisers' who make those appraisals and evaluations strictly based on what they see in internet pictures or on TV keep the prices bad for everyone including those who have a nice car. IMO, all that appraising does is lower the perceived value of the Model-A as a whole where the mindset is someone can't spend any money on it because they won't get their money back out of it.

From my perspective of being in this hobby for over 50+ years, hobbyist's Model-As as a whole appear to be in worse mechanical and aesthetical condition now than they were 3-4 decades ago, ...yet the knowledge about them, and availability of parts is arguably the best it has ever been for our hobby. Again, very few people want to repair one properly, -or even restore a Model-A these days because other hobbyists (-many are Model-A Club members??!!) give advice not to restore them because it is a bad investment, ...and instead their advice is just buy someone else's car with the subliminal mindset to then drive them into the ground with poor maintenance or lack thereof. Just MacGyver them the best you can, and then just call it a 'driver' or 'survivor car'.

If a Model-A is 'over-priced' on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, -or other social media places, then most of us would agree that it will not sell. If it does not sell, then what is the harm -however, if it did sell, ...but at a price higher than what you felt it was worth, who was wrong? Was it the Buyer that paid more than you felt it was worth, ...or were you wrong in your under-evaluation the vehicle's market value?? Just like the successful Buyers at Barrett, they all paid what it was worth to them. Maybe not what you felt it should be worth, but to the ones that mattered, they paid what that vehicle was worth at that moment. At that point, who are we to criticize?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:49 AM   #13
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You guys kill me. How do you suppose these "rich guys" got their money? Do you really think it is because they foolishly spend/spent their money overpaying for things??

IMHO, the worst thing that ever happened to our hobby is cheapskate Model-A owners who like to 'armchair appraise' the value of other people's cars. And, those 'appraisers' who make those appraisals and evaluations strictly based on what they see in internet pictures or on TV keep the prices bad for everyone including those who have a nice car. IMO, all that appraising does is lower the perceived value of the Model-A as a whole where the mindset is someone can't spend any money on it because they won't get their money back out of it.

From my perspective of being in this hobby for over 50+ years, hobbyist's Model-As as a whole appear to be in worse mechanical and aesthetical condition now than they were 3-4 decades ago, ...yet the knowledge about them, and availability of parts is arguably the best it has ever been for our hobby. Again, very few people want to repair one properly, -or even restore a Model-A these days because other hobbyists (-many are Model-A Club members??!!) give advice not to restore them because it is a bad investment, ...and instead their advice is just buy someone else's car with the subliminal mindset to then drive them into the ground with poor maintenance or lack thereof. Just MacGyver them the best you can, and then just call it a 'driver' or 'survivor car'.

If a Model-A is 'over-priced' on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, -or other social media places, then most of us would agree that it will not sell. If it does not sell, then what is the harm -however, if it did sell, ...but at a price higher than what you felt it was worth, who was wrong? Was it the Buyer that paid more than you felt it was worth, ...or were you wrong in your under-evaluation the vehicle's market value?? Just like the successful Buyers at Barrett, they all paid what it was worth to them. Maybe not what you felt it should be worth, but to the ones that mattered, they paid what that vehicle was worth at that moment. At that point, who are we to criticize?
Very nicely done.

I really agree with your comments on the condition of Model A’s today.

A correctly maintained Model A Ford or a correctly restored Model A Ford is and should be expensive compared to the majority of cars listed for sale.

There is “a lot” of Junk out there!!!

Think CPO from dealer vs used car lot.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:26 AM   #14
denis4x4

Not often I agree with Brent, but he is spot on with this post. Too, the guys paying the bucks can look at the car in person rather that squint at a cell phone photo.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:01 AM   #15
alexiskai

Quote:
AVOID PAYING TOO MUCH for your initial investment. Obviously, you are going to have some certain amount of money to invest in the completely restored car, and we feel you should be made aware of one of the most common pitfalls that newcomers fall into. This is the one of paying so much for the car to start with that they find themselves without sufficient funds to do the necessary work on the car. Remember, that some parts are hard to come by, and might run up your total cost...

Too many people have a warped opinion of what a clean Model A should bring. Take a firm stand against any inflated price by remembering that the Model A, admirable as it is, will never be the “antique” or “classic” in the same sense as other old cars bringing rumored high prices. Let the owner with the big price tag keep his virgin Victoria and keep looking—eventually you'll find the identical car for a reasonable price. It works — be patient and try it.
-- "The Restorer," July 1957

The idea that the Model A is the poor/frugal man's collector car has been baked into the hobby from the day it became an organized subculture.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:48 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
-- "The Restorer," July 1957

The idea that the Model A is the poor/frugal man's collector car has been baked into the hobby from the day it became an organized subculture.

In all of my years in this hobby, that is the first time I have ever read that. Thanks for sharing!!

I guess my only thought to that is, ...over the years there has been bad information, -or misinformation that was printed in both club magazines. Much has changed in 65+ years, ...and there has been much information that has been learned which countered previous misinformation. Maybe this is a prime example!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 01:42 PM   #17
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I guess my only thought to that is, ...over the years there has been bad information, -or misinformation that was printed in both club magazines. Much has changed in 65+ years, ...and there has been much information that has been learned which countered previous misinformation. Maybe this is a prime example!!
To be fair to the original authors, that quote is from an article intended to help those who want to restore a car to the original factory spec. And the point they make is valid – a full restoration is expensive, so you need to think about how much you're budgeting for the car versus for the restoration work.

I have Restorer in digital searchable format from '56-'06, and when I ran the search for "invest/investment," 95% of the uses of that term are from the classified ads – owners talking up how much they spent on the car they're selling. But I also didn't find any articles specifically disabusing anyone of the notion that resale value should be a priority when making restoration decisions. If there's a duty incumbent on MAFCA to suppress substandard maintenance/restoration practices, it doesn't come through in the magazines.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:10 PM   #18
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...I never understood purchasing a car at an auction...unless after the end of the aution when the car you are interested in did not sell for the price offered. Sometimes, then you can submit a lower bid AFTER you have driven the car and had it inspected by a good mechanic! I just do not see how you can be sure of a cars condition just looking at it sitting in a parking lot...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:32 PM   #19
ronn

so Brent, you are fine with the 20% auctioneers fee? the credit card fee of 4% the whatsup fee of on and on oh, and dont forget your state sales tax.

in the end you are easily paying 2x as much as it can be bought privately.

think on this for a second- ferrarris sometimes sell in the 30-50 million range. it is all done privately without anyone knowing the agreement.
yes there are some smart rich people too! LOL
Old 01-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
I tend to agree. I have run into way too many people , while talking about old cars, that start out with 'I saw one like it sell at ( B-J, Mecum, whatever fill in the blank) and IT sold for ------'

All those TV auctions are, is people laundering drug money and trying to impress their friends at home.

Someone told me that Mecum sold a half ton '72 Chevy pickup a few weeks ago for $129,000. Get real. If the Blessed Virgin Mary herself drove that thing it STILL wouldn't be worth a fraction of that price. That is nothing but stupid money on display. It is not reality.

That and that stupid 'American Pickers' nonsense. Talk about a staged fraud That show ruined the petroliana collectibles hobby quite some time ago. Those clowns are a farce. Laughable. Only good thing is, they know so little about antique cars they always get their butts burned trying to deal with them

I stopped watching all of that a long time ago..
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote