Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default Howell's Sheeeet Metal Scam

What the hell is up at Howell's Sheet Metal. Ordered a part from Howell's web site cost 65$ put order thru gave credit card billed thru paypal.The
Howell cancelled the order because they wanted to charge me 90$ for the same part. I told them forget it. I would rather buy from Mac's.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Howell's Sheeeet Metal Scam

PRICES All prices in the printed catalog and online catalog are subject to change without notice. We try to keep our prices as low as possible and hold price changes to a minimum.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
FrankWest

great.

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-29-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
rotorwrench

It was likely an excuse. Guys that don't have the part will set on your money for as long as they want to make the part. PayPal will take it back from them if you have a problem with them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

I'm ashamed to admit that they're even in the same great big state of Texas that I'm in! I've NEVER heard anything even close to GOOD about those people. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
They did you a favor. I wouldn't buy anything from Howell's, as the few parts I bought from them were VERY poor quality reproductions. Didn't use any and cut them up for patches on other things. Make sure where you buy the parts that they aren't from them as others make better parts that will fit. Cheapest is rarely best.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
FrankWest

I would rather make my own sheet metal parts rather than send them a penny.
Great to hear from you guys. It was the way they handled it. They advertised low then upped the price. Bad way to do business. I don't mind paying for the junk I want but I don;t like a con job. Thanks guys.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
19Fordy

All folks do is "howl" about Howell's. Stay away.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #9
cas3

there is a thread on the hamb thats about 10 years old about the bad dealings with howells. it seems they're primary focus is wholesale to vendors, and ebay sales, yet they still take private orders over the phone, then treat you like shit. so get comfortable, here's my recent howells experience. so even though i knew of all the stories on the hamb, i thought if they have it in stock, how can it go bad? i needed a radiator upper apron for my 34. i was sure i had one searched repeatedly thru my mess, and had several parts ready to prime along with this so i wanted one now. i call, they say they have it in stock. will it ship today? yes. i wait 11 days, and call them up. the guy answers and puts me on hold while he checks, comes back and says yeah, we shipped it, so call me back in 15 minutes while i try to find out where it is. so i call back, no answer. i call 10 more times that first day, and over the next 3 days i calledd about 30 times. most were no answer, mail box full, many were busy signal for hours at a time, and once or twice i was able to leave a message with my number, so they knew what was going on. finally, i thought screw them i've had parts hanging to prime for nearly 3 weeks, so get one somewhere else. 1st, call credit card and wast more time on hold until finally i tell the girl my story. she looks and cant find a charge!!! so clearly the mo fo's were lying that it shipped because they wouldnt ship it without charging my card first. visa gal agreed. so next i call Tom Bay, you got one ? yeah, ship it today? yeah. so while chatting with tom i tell him the howell story, he chuckles and says they buy them from me, and i dont remember an order for a while so they must be out! really in the length of time i waited for howells they could have got a batch from Tom and still sold one to me, but chose not to bother with that either. since i cant get them on the phone i had to use the "contact us" button on the web site to cancel my order and let them know my opinion of they're business. maybe another one will show in the mail? all the vendors have this part, but most are powder coated which i dont want so i thought i would get it from the source, but really thats Tom Bay, not howells. so put them on the bad guy list
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
Blastfromthepast

I had a different experience with Howells. Mine was positive. I ordered boxing plates for my chassis and had no problem getting them and installing them. I think we coiuld all say that we at least one time had a problem with most venders. The biggest problem I see is back orders on parts. I had problems with Macs, Bob Drake, obsolete etc, they take your order and ship half of it and then tell you it’s was back ordered. Now you have to wait and be charged again for shipping in stead of combining the shipping. So the part cost you more then you thought. When placing an order with all these venders be sure the part is in stock before you place the order. This is just my experiences that I have had in the past.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:47 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
there is a thread on the hamb thats about 10 years old about the bad dealings with howells. so next i call Tom Bay, you got one ? yeah, ship it today? yeah. i thought i would get it from the source, but really thats Tom Bay, not howells.

Let's ask Ronnieroadster what HE thinks of Tom Bay's "top-shelf" sheet metal shtuff! These outfits seem to run in tightly-knit packs. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-29-2020, 12:14 AM   #12
cas3

the part from Tom came in 3 days like it should. i am aware of Ronnie's fitment of patch panels problems, but i have no experience with that, and therefore no comment. this piece was well made, no burrs to clean up, straight and ready to paint except that i tigged two threaded bosses on the back of each side like the 33's had because like a darn kid i will have no fenders and those bolts are visible. i have bought howells parts for model T's at the chickasha swap meet where they are set up to buy on the spot. i think howells started with t parts if i am correct. are they as good as rootliebs? perhaps not, but you get what you pay for. i am happy we have as many people making this stuff as we do. some is better than others, this forum helps us find the best we all hope. but my complaint is not the parts, its the flat out lying and rudeness in this case, and then theres the crooks too like the go cat guy
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:34 AM   #13
Alaska Jim

I agree with duce roadster, every thing I had bought from them was junk, only ended up as patch pieces. fit was poor compound curves were no existent on the cowl sides for my 29 roadster
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #14
oldandtired

I set up right next to Howells at Chickasha. I didn't buy anything from them because I didn't need anything. They had a lot of panels there and it seemed like they sold quite a few. The guy there was a good neighbor and we had several conversations about the hobby. I was a little surprised when I heard and read all of the comments.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #15
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
...but my complaint is not the parts, its the flat out lying and rudeness...

Not as an excuse or justification, but just to put these "lies" into perspective, a parts counter jockey will tell you "yes they got it" to secure the sale, because he knows that half the time, after doing the parts search, the customer will tell him he'll think about it and get back later to place the order.

The rudeness is another matter, and shows the salesman's contempt for the consumer public. I for one have always had contempt for salesmen at least equal to that shown me as a consumer.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #16
tubman

Salesmen? I have bought many, many things in my life, but no one has ever sold me anything. I have however, dealt with a lot of order-takers.

As "cas3" said, there is an excellent thread about Howells on the H.A.M.B. If you need to know more, you should check that one out.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
As "cas3" said, there is an excellent thread about Howells on the H.A.M.B. If you need to know more, you should check that one out.

Anybody that's been playin' with this old junk for any length of time, and you say that you've never heard anything about the ongoing Howell debacle? You probably ain't no serious "old car" guy! The name has been a running joke for decades. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 01-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #18
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Anybody that's been playin' with this old junk for any length of time, and you say that you've never heard anything about the ongoing Howell debacle? You probably ain't no serious "old car" guy! The name has been a running joke for decades. DD
But also, they have been a good source for parts for many people for just as long. Therein lies the problem. If they were just a complete scam outfit, they would have disappeared long ago. There are many satisfied customers out there.

To summarize the H.A.M.B. thread : If you can see the parts at a swap meet or in their eBay store, go for it. If not, it's a complete crap-shoot (most likely coming up "snake-eyes").
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #19
Steve/IL

I can understand that the prices listed in a printed catalog are subject to change without notice. However when a vendor changes the prices in their system, they should be updating the prices on their website at the same time. Better yet, their system should be tied to the website to automatically update the prices. There should be no excuse for not updating the website immediately. JMHO.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #20
Gary in La.

When David was running Howell's years ago the quality and pricing were good. I used to buy T and A parts from him in the '70's and never had a problem. I think it's his son who took over the business quite a few years ago and that's when the "downhill" slide started. Have'nt had the need for any v-8 sheet metal so I can't comment.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote