Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
LazarusLong

Default How much positive camber needed for radial tires?

Put new 2:15x75x15 radial tires on my 51 Victoria,and am wondering if anyone knows the exact amount of positive camber in degrees that is needed.

Car drives like a dream going in a straight line,but you do NOT want to hit a 35 MPH curve running 50. You know right away that you screwed up.

I am hoping getting the front aligned correctly for radials will help with this.

BTW,this is my "new" project car. Mechanically I wouldn't be afraid to take off on a cross-country trip with it now. Still working on the cosmetics,though. Other than the top,this is the original paint on the car. Some previous owner used paint remover and painted the top without priming it because it was black,the paint was thin,and rust was bleeding through,and he was a dumbass. As a result the paint remover cracked and ate away at the caulking around the rain gutters,and where it cracked it held water. As a result I have rust holes all around the top. It is in a resto shop now to be soda blasted,all the rust cut out and removed with welds,and repainted the original black. This time with primer under it.

Just had the seats reupholstered a couple of weeks ago. Now I can see over the steering wheel while driving it,and don;t have any springs pokin me in the butt.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51 Front.jpg (56.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by LazarusLong; 08-30-2018 at 03:04 PM.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: How much positive camber needed for radial tires?

The answer is: "Nobody knows".

Experiment with some different settings and report back. If you find some settings that make the car handle like a world class rally car I'm sure people will be interested to find out.

It sounds like a smug answer, it's not meant to be. It might be that you are expecting too much from a nearly 70 year old car. I remember driving a friends 51 Pontiac. That thing scared me the first fast bend I came to. My T bird was a lot better.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #3
LazarusLong

I know it will never handle good by today's standards without major suspension changes,but I have no real interest in modifying the car or road racing it. I am not about to modify anything that can't easily be brought back to original.

What I want is for everything in it to be set up to work as perfectly as possible. If the front suspension needs to be adjusted to get the most out of it without making major modifications,I want to adjust it so that is possible.

If what I have now is as good as it gets,I can live with it.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #4
1931flathead

You have to try driffent ones to see how it fit your type of roads and driving

It is not that hard to figure out no one can give you that answer
1931flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931flathead View Post
Why do you keep posting new questions on the same thing
Ahm a think'n it looks as if while trying unsuccessfully to post a picture last night, he got it working not knowing it was a double post.

The post from April inquired about toe-in.

While this latest double post concerns caster, it was mistakenly cited as camber.

Still I'm curious to know that the rear is running radials as well. Also need verification of replacement wheel(s) offset.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM   #6
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
Ahm a think'n it looks as if while trying unsuccessfully to post a picture last night, he got it working not knowing it was a double post.

The post from April inquired about toe-in.

While this latest double post concerns caster, it was mistakenly cited as camber.

Still I'm curious to know that the rear is running radials as well. Also need verification of replacement wheel(s) offset.

You are correct with your assumptions.

Yes,I am running the same size and brand of radial tires on all 4 corners. I can not remember if the offset is the same as stock after all this time,but all 4 wheels were bought new and are identical. They are also only 6 inches wide,if that would make any difference.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
A bones

Any change in offset will mess with alignment spec. The difference would be felt especially when turning. I really did not think that you would buy only two tires, but wanted to once again put out the message. Don't cheap-out like I did once upon a time.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
LazarusLong

Quote:
Originally Posted by A bones View Post
Any change in offset will mess with alignment spec. The difference would be felt especially when turning. I really did not think that you would buy only two tires, but wanted to once again put out the message. Don't cheap-out like I did once upon a time.

Don't feel lonesome. You are not the only one that tried 2 radial tires up front and 2 bias tires in the rear. The best thing that can be said for that is it doesn't take you long to figure out you screwed up.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
Ryan
Administrator

If you are having issues posting, please contact me and I’ll help. I’d like to avoid more double posts.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 08-31-2018, 02:11 AM   #10
Paul Bennett

Today I had a wheel alignment - still have belted tires. Since I should get my radials any week now, I asked old timer wheel alignment guy if I should bring it back for a touch up. He said no.
Paul Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote