Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Walt Ebie

Default 30a jack points

Need to jack up my 30 to 'relax' the springs so I can apply some oil. I understand, from an old thread, that I'll have to jack the car up by the frame rails so the spring can relax. So where is the jack point on the frame you use when you do this? The car has engine pans so I'm not sure if they can stay on or not while jacking the car up on the rails. Suggested front and rear jack points would be a big help.
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
CarlG

Default Re: 30a jack points

I have jacked my rig just in front of the rear axle, and just to the rear of the front axle anyplace you can get a clear shot at it. The engine pans should not make any difference since the engine and frame are connected together anyway. I would use jack stands while doing this rather than rely solely on a jack itself. 6-Ton stands will get you high enough to support from the frame and lift the wheels off the ground.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Jack up the car using the front axle and the ring and pinion housing. Then place the jack stands under the frame rails. Lower the jack and your springs will be relaxed.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #4
DJ S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick M View Post
Jack up the car using the front axle and the ring and pinion housing. Then place the jack stands under the frame rails. Lower the jack and your springs will be relaxed.
If you use this method, depending on how high your jack stands are, you will need to remove the tires because the front axle will lower substantially.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #5
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
If you use this method, depending on how high your jack stands are, you will need to remove the tires because the front axle will lower substantially.
That's why I suggested the 6-ton jacks. They are tall enough to clear the tires when supporting the frame.
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
d.

I have never heard anything good about using concrete blocks for any weight support on a car lifting operation. Concrete is porous and can fail with very bad results. Safety first.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Do not use cinder blocks to support a vehicle..... its this kind of misinformation that is very dangerous on a forum like this...

Areas that i lift my car up on a hoist supported by the frame

Where the engine mounts bolts to the frame area and where the tailpipe bracket bolts to the frame area..

What Carl said use the proper equipment

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-02-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
katy

I was wondering where the talk about not using concrete or cinder blocks was based on.

BTW, do they still make cinder blocks? Probably not.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #9
CarlG

I'm sure some still call them "cinder blocks" regardless of what they are currently being made of. EG: "all tissues are called Kleenex"
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 12-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
Big hammer

I think cinder block is in reference to a style of block, very porous designed and will not suport much weight! Concrere blocks are made with much denser material and made to support more weight. When you pickup each block you will feel the differance. Each block is designed to be slacked with the holes vertical, on there side they will not support much weight. I don't advocate the use of blocks! The use of jack stands must be used safely, like on level concrete driveway or floor! If used on a gravel driveway you are asking for trouble !
A wise young man showed me a trick to put the tire/wheel under the car frame as added safety, not much help on are "A". If you have ever had a car fall between your legs, you will go and buy, and use Quality jack stands! I was very lucky the rear axle contacted concrete and none of my body parts!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #11
Walt Ebie

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the good advice but I have yet one question: it's about loosening the spring clip out at the end of the spring to aid in the loosening of the leaves. My clips fit as a horseshoe over the top of the 4 leaves and have just enough room for the 4 leaves. A horizontal bolt holds the clip together at the bottom. Sounds standard. So, loosening the bolt might provide some horizontal give but how does it allow any loosening of the leaves from each other? I thought about taking the bolt out and removing the clip but I had this horrible vision of the leaves loosing to the point where I couldn't get the clip back on. Having never done this operation before, I thought it best to look for some more advice before I proceed to create a worse problem than a little rust and a dry spring. So, what do you say?
Old 12-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
DJ S

Loosening or removing those springs clips really won't loosen the leaves up as the leaves are held together by a center bolt going through the middle of each leaf. If you really want to get some kind of lubricant between each of the leaves, you'll need to take the spring off, remove the clips and center bolt, take the stack apart, grind down any ridges that may have developed, add lubricant, reassemble, and reinstall. If you don't do this, you're just wasting your time.

Last edited by DJ S; 12-02-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #13
CarlG

This is the lubricant I use. (Available at NAPA) I did have the spring apart as DJS suggested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slip Plate 330403.jpg (7.3 KB, 17 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 12-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Removing the clip will allow you to spread the individual leafs apart say tapping a screwdriver or chisel into them so u can get your favorite lube in better
Old 12-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

If you aren't ready to take the spring apart now for the complete rebuild, then just squirt or brush some oil on the sides and ends of the leaves. The oil will work it's way in.

If you spread the leaves as Mitch just said, then you can use grease. This will last longer.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #16
Walt Ebie

Thanks again....I'll get back on it tomorrow and try to get some lubrication between the leaves where I can. I'm not ready (or brave enough for a full removal) so I'll either use grease or some of that John Deere graphite spray that was mentioned. I don't think any lube has been done on these springs for many years so anything is probably better than nothing at all.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Walt Ebie

Thanks for your help - but just to clarify...are you saying that the leaves won't spring apart at the ends if I remove the clip when the car isn't jacked up? It would seem like as long as the weight of the car is on the spring, they would spring apart at the ends. No?
Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #18
DJ S

If I were you, I would jack the car up, place jack stands under the frame, lower the jack so all the pressure is relieved from the spring, and do as Tom suggests, coat all the seams with oil, and call it a day. Without taking the spring apart, you're really can't get much of anything between the leaves, at least with oil, as Tom states, it will find its way in between the leaves to lubricate it some.
Old 12-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Remove the spring clips before suspending the suspension.. when done install the spring clips with the wheels on the ground. Youll be able to spread the leafs and lube things up better without the clips installed.. its one bolt and one nut on each side
Old 12-03-2016, 12:27 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Later clips used rivets, but I don't recall the change date.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote