Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Walt Ebie

Default Hard Steering

Any tips - or previous threads - on how I can make my 30 coupe a little easier to steer. Doesn't seem to have much play in the steering so it isn't hard to keep it where you want it. I know we're all spoiled by power steering but my steering is hard enough to require both hands to turn a corner even when you're moving at a normal speed. Tires are up to pressure and have like new treads. Does this sound normal for this car or are there some/any steering adjustments that would help. I do keep the box full of 600# oil.
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: Hard Steering

Try the short pitman arm , it helps. That's why we have just had produced the Right Hand Drive version ,
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

If the balls are round and well greased, and the kingpins in good shape and well greased, then it should steer fairly easy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #4
ian Simpson

I think power steering has a lot to answer for. Me and the missus have owned more than a few vehicles without power steering and all of them have been more than a little heavy at 'normal' speeds. Our current MGB steering is almost immoveable at less than 10 mph. The Porsche, Jaguar and Mercedes were all similar. But all have more than made up for it by giving wonderful direct and controlled steering at all speeds up to and beyond legal limits. Our 1928 Tudor is similar.

Handraulic steering is to be savoured and understood.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 10-29-2016 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Engaged post before brain.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

YES, they're HARD to steer, use BOTH hands, they're NOT a "make out" car, unless you're PARKED!!
Bill Makeout
Old 10-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #6
larrys40

Walt,
As The guys noted some of them there are a number of issues that can cause hard steering. Steering balls worn and/or overtight. I like the Steer-Eze kits and use them whenever I do a front axle rebuild. You must have good round steering balls. If they are oval shaped at all you will have issues. New balls and an steer eze kit the the end plug will be about flush with the tie rod/drag link. Personally I'm not necessarily a fan of the shortened arm but some are on here. I have driven them both ways and personally can't tell any difference in eaze of steering.

Also, it is imperative that you spindle bearings be loaded/shimmed properly if necessary. The load of the car is to be on them, if worn and or not correct you may have a load issue on the spindle which can cause hard steering as well. Yes more uncommon but is an issue once in a while. Additionally the box of course makes a lot of difference. Quality of rebuild/lube and adjustment.

Also tires do make a difference as well along with proper alignment/toe in.
Garfield tires which were popular back in the days wear like iron but steer like a truck,

If you need to service your front steering arms you can remove the tie rod/steering arm assembly along with drag link and all in one piece by lossening the front steering arm nuts at the spindles and giving them a wrap with a brass drift/hammer and then removing the steering arm of the sector shaft and pull the whole assembly out for bench repair. Install same way. best and easiest way.. I have done a ton of them.

Keep us posted on your outcome.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #7
mshmodela

As mentioned grease the baby... And remember these are old cars --they will teach you to drive them... With time.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:13 PM   #8
JBill

See the thread on steering box adjustment. It's possible to get the adjustment too tight and thereby cause hard steering. Sometimes it takes a lot of fiddling to get it just right.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Every part that joins another part has to be clean, smooth, of the correct shape, and adjusted. Do you know when the last time all the old grease was removed, the balls and sockets checked and replaced?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #10
Walt Ebie

Thank you all! Since the car was restored from the ground up in 1983 and only has about 1200 miles on it that the balls and sockets could be very worn but I will check and lube everything again - just did that last fall and drove only a couple hundred miles since then. Yes, that was 1200 miles - two previous owners bought it for looks but never drove it. I've had it now about 2 yrs and drive it once or twice every week.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
Keith True

A ground up restoration from 1983 will most likely have egg shaped steering balls,bad brake tracks,and overtightened worn out steering box parts.With a few exceptions cars done back then got parts cleaned,painted,and put back together to run around town at 35 MPH.They were made to look pretty,not restored to original specs.One easy thing to look for on yours are the kingpin bearings.Grab the bearing with your fingers,if you can rotate it the weight of the car is riding directly on the spindle,not on the thrust bearing.That makes for a hard steer.There's a couple of dozen things in the steering that can cause hard steering,and I don't believe I've ever found just one or two things causing it.It usually seems to be 8 or 10 things combined.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Grease it properly, proper tire pressure and install a shortened pitman arm and you will think you have power steering. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

They are definitely not power steering but it sounds like your is too hard. Try driving another one for comparison.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

[QUOTE=Charlie Stephens;1377800]They are definitely not power steering but it sounds like your is too hard. Try driving another one for comparison.

Charlie Stephens[/QUO

Always a good strategy! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #15
TerryH

Make sure your tires ar also fully inflated to 35 lbs.....low fire pressure Will also cause harder steering. My 1930 Town Sedan steers what I think is quite easily at speeds over 10 mph. I run newer Goodyear tires and have almost no play in the steering wheel.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
Make sure your tires ar also fully inflated to 35 lbs.....low fire pressure Will also cause harder steering. My 1930 Town Sedan steers what I think is quite easily at speeds over 10 mph. I run newer Goodyear tires and have almost no play in the steering wheel.
He did mention the pressures were set to spec...I would try steering it jacked up under the axle, just to see f it is tight without the tire resistance. Yes the pressure won't be on the king pin bearings but it's worth a shot for diagnostics if it has abnormally tight steering
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
Kevin in NJ

After tire pressure....

How about starting with does it have the correct type oil in the steering box? Is it full?

You really need to verify the balls are round too.

As pointed out, often the cars are not mechanically restored. You must verify everything.

Personally I would start at the steering box and work my way out in logical steps.

Oil in the box, how tight is the sector shaft?
Are all the balls round? Is there all repro springs and such which have been compressed down too far. Some repro springs do not do very good from what I have heard.

How tight are the king pins.

Well you get the idea. My idea of a properly restored to factory A is one you have no problems jumping in and driving all day at 55 MPH. Then get in and do it the next day.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:36 PM   #18
Quigley1930

Bill makeout tell me you never drove a bench seat car with at least your arm around your sweetie

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Try the short pitman arm , it helps. That's why we have just had produced the Right Hand Drive version ,
The short pitman arm does make it a little easer to steer. But it also makes it so that you cannot turn as short. But still it is worth the shorten arm.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
The short pitman arm does make it a little easer to steer. But it also makes it so that you cannot turn as short. But still it is worth the shorten arm.
With my '30 Town Sedan I find no difference in turning radius. The steering still goes stop to stop...

But regardless of that, you should determine why it is so hard to turn before adding shortened pitman arms and EZ Steer teflon seats.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #21
Walt Ebie

I'm going to get it up on jacks today and start looking. Thanks again.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #22
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I don't believe I've ever found just one or two things causing it.It usually seems to be 8 or 10 things combined.
agreed 100%. Think about just how many pivot points and wear points are just in the connections from the steering wheel to each spindle. A 1/64" here or 1/32" of slop there adds up. Same can be said for things not greased - if you have one bushing thats not getting grease you may never know it but if each one has just a bit of drag it all adds up.

Same exact reasoning can be said about the brake system. - thats another whole thing that you cant just slap shoes on and go...

treat it like a modern car when looking for steering slop (same principles havent changed) lay underneath the car (not running in gear parking brake set etc) and have someone else sit in the car and rock the wheel back and forth just enough to feel resistance - you will see parts moving and can tell exactly where the slop is. Also jack up the front end, check the spindles over really good and try to rock the top and bottom of the tire in and out. ideally it shouldnt rock. If it does you may need 2 people and a bright light to see where the slop is. (one rocker one looker)
Old 10-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley1930 View Post
Bill makeout tell me you never drove a bench seat car with at least your arm around your sweetie

Sewall
Quigley,
You'd be AMAZED at the things I HAVE done in a car
Bill Flirt
Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #24
Walt Ebie

Okay...got it up on jacks and, as you might expect, it steers like a dream with no weight on the wheels. Checked the kingpin bearings and both are easy to finger-turn with no weight and when the wheels are back on the ground they are tight - can't turn with your fingers, so I guess that means the weight of the car is on the bearings and not on the pins. In the 'DUH' department, after one of your reminders about tire pressure I remembered I had not done that since back in the hot weather days. Today, now that cool weather has set in, all four were about 6-7 pounds low. So they got pumped up to 35# and a test drive showed a good bit of improvement in the hard steering. While I had it on jacks I lubed everything in the front end so that should help a little, too. I guess one day now I'll have to look at those steering balls and make sure they are 'balls' and not 'eggs.' Thanks again for the help.