Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Walt Ebie

Default Gas Question

Many people use non-ethanol gas in their mowers, garden tractors, etc. If and when you can find it, would it be any better in an A than regular with ethanol?
Walt Ebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
Nabco

Default Re: Gas Question

Absolutely, do a search and you will see many, many threads on the subject
Old 09-09-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
SeaSlugs

yea this has been beat to death. Some dont have issues with it, others say they have issues all the time with it...

not sure if this question has been asked and debated over more or less than the oil debate haha
Old 09-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Safewiz

I only use non ethanol fuel in my A. But the station that sells it is only half mile from my house. And yes you will find many threads here about ethanol, and it seems to open a can of worms every time it comes up.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Welcome back, where have you been ? If you have a spare weekend do a search. People here hate ethanol more than whitewalls! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
eagle

The A runs the ethanol gas just fine as long as you drive it often. Don't let it sit for very long. It attracts moisture out of the air. The moisture mixes with the ethanol and sits in the bottom of the tank. Rusts the tanks, clogs the carb, just generally a bad deal.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #7
DougVieyra

There is no question, REAL GAS (made without corn-based ethanol) is far better for ANY seldom used internal combustion engine. To linger longer than four months begins to erode many fuel systems. Some have had better luck with longer time frames. But the word LUCK is not to be dismissed lightly.

In fact, it is so much better to use REAL GAS, that the State of California makes it a criminal offense to use it on any public roadway. Also in California, it is not available for public dispensing (via Gas Stations, etc.) into any motor vehicle. Like any hard core drug, one must sign an affidavit that you will NOT use this 'environment-killing' chemical on any public roadway in California.

I remember those famous words "I'm from the Government . . . . and I am here to help you . . ."

So, here in California, if one were to clandestinely put REAL GAS into one's Ford Model A (or ANY other vehicle) and drive it on any public road, one would instantly become a criminal.

Additionally, here in California, when REAL GAS is purchased it costs anywhere from 50 to 100% MORE than the State promoted Ethanol 'Corn Gas'.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 09-09-2016 at 12:54 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Nabco

So now that this subject has come up again I thought I would post this additive from Lucas..

http://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-tr...th-stabilizers

Has anyone used this, I'm using MMO, wondering if this is any different and has any additional benefits.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I only use gas without ethanol corn crap in it for all my old cars and small engines. Even the better gas without corn still boils quicker than what we had in the 60's and 70's, so every time I stop my Studebaker for 10 minutes or more, the gas boils over into the intake and floods it. Right now I'm making a heat shield to fit between the exhaust manifold and carb to keep the carb cooler.

Someone on this site made a nice looking heat shield for the Model A carb, but I don't recall who that was. Hopefully they will see this and post the picture again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote