Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #21
eagle

Default Re: Best lubrication for transmission ?

Lucas oil stabilizer makes a huge difference in how the transmission feels. Gives the gearshift a silky smooth feel. Night and day difference over 600w. Several years ago I changed out the transmission fluid with new 600w, didnt feel any difference over the old goo that had been in there for who knows how long. Ran it for a while but then tried lucas. Amazing difference.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #22
Railcarmover
BANNED

It would be interesting to see what the viscosity of the off the shelf 600w is at operating temperature.I do know foaming in an issue.STP and other additives are not tested for pressure,in other words,even though its thick it might not handle the tooth on tooth contact pressure of engaged gears under load,possibly ending up with accelerated wear.That's where the API designation is critical,it tells you,by testing, how the oil handles the actual condition its under,way more scientific than looking at it and approving it by how thick it is.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Straight 90-or 140-W has served us well for YEARS & YEARS!!! CASE CLOSED!
Bill W.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #24
Railcarmover
BANNED

Muskets served us well till the rifled barrel was developed...grasping new technology and understanding its value helps keep the car alive.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
The transmission is one thing while the rear end is another! What works in the transmission may not work well in the rear end. Frsintance, the rear gears are in constant mesh and don't have shifting issues. So why can't we use a lighter oil and reduce some of the internal resistance. I frequently notice that model A owners will use the same lubricant in both the transmission and differential. I'm not saying this is wrong, but you're dealing with two different mechanical systems with different needs.
Terry
That is what is behind my thinking too. I'd expect using the more modern oil might give longer life and slightly improve performance because there is less drag in the diff. I also agree with what you say about not using anything more than GL1 with bronze bearings or bushes. The sulphides in those oils eat bronze.

Last edited by Synchro909; 03-03-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #26
vonheine

The Model A parts suppliers are not in the lubrication industry. They are not formulating or making the oil. They do commonly re-package the lubricant from bulk and place their label and name on it for sale. Many of the modern lubricants are harmful to old gear boxes and differentials because they will destroy bronze bushings, thrust washers, or spacers, anything made of brass or bronze. Most modern equipment doesn’t have any bronze parts so the new lubricants are fine for modern equipment. However, there are lubricant companies that do make excellent modern lubricants for Model A, AA, Ford transmissions, gear boxes, and differentials. Lubriplate makes SPO-288 which is perfect for Model A, and AA transmissions, steering boxes, and differentials. There are other companies that make similar products, but Lubriplate SPO-288 is my choice.
vonheine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #27
vonheine

Absolutely correct about lubrication needs for modern helical gears are very different than lubrication needs for spur gears. (Apples and Oranges)
Old 03-02-2019, 03:10 PM   #28
redmodelt

Except for the 2 bronze thrust washers in the 1928 transmissions and reverse idler gear brass bushing used all years, there is no brass/bronze to worry about in the stock A transmission or rear end.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #29
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Except for the 2 bronze thrust washers in the 1928 transmissions and reverse idler gear brass bushing used all years, there is no brass/bronze to worry about in the stock A transmission or rear end.
Replace those thrust washers with hardened steel ones and you'd be fine with an EP oil but I still wouldn't do it. I think the thinner oil would make changing more difficult.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 AM   #30
apbright

Petroleum Services Company (no business relationship to me) offer 600W oil in five gallon pails for a bit over $100. I've bought one, and if I use it all, I will be grateful for my own longevity.

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...xoC2iwQAvD_BwE
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #31
Brian in Wheeling

Lubri-plate SPO-288 is really a great product for the transmission.
Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #32
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonheine View Post
Many of the modern lubricants are harmful to old gear boxes and differentials because they will destroy bronze bushings, thrust washers, or spacers, anything made of brass or bronze.
I've heard this rumor for years, so a number of years ago, for an experiment, I put a bronze synchronizer ring in a glass jar w/90-140 gear oil and let it sit for a couple of years and nothing happened to either the ring or the oil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg synchronizer ring.jpg (2.1 KB, 272 views)
Old 03-03-2019, 01:03 PM   #33
redmodelt

Noting will happen just sitting in a jar. What happens is, the additives bind at the molecular level with the brass and as the steel parts rub they are sheered off taking the brass with them.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #34
Railcarmover
BANNED

Getting down to the molecular level,synthetic blends have consistent molecule size,where 'dinosaur' oil the molecule size is random.This basic difference is what makes synthetic oils superior to dino oils,chaining viscosity modifiers and load additives to synthetic oils is precise,leading to less 'oil breakdown',the breakdown of the additives bind to the molecule. That,plus the lower friction associated with consistent sized molecules is why synthetic oils are superior.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:01 AM   #35
vonheine

I am working on a 1930 AA truck. The differential has a brass thrust plate that the ring gear pushes against to prevent the ring gear from wobbling in the case when it’s torqued up under a heavy load. Also, depending upon what parts are available, there are spiders gears for these trucks that use 4 bronze shims under the pinions. (BB parts, suitable for use) The AA four speed uses a bronze bushing on the reverse idler gear. This is why I am avoiding lubricants that attack yellow metals.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonheine View Post
I am working on a 1930 AA truck. The differential has a brass thrust plate that the ring gear pushes against to prevent the ring gear from wobbling in the case when it’s torqued up under a heavy load. Also, depending upon what parts are available, there are spiders gears for these trucks that use 4 bronze shims under the pinions. (BB parts, suitable for use) The AA four speed uses a bronze bushing on the reverse idler gear. This is why I am avoiding lubricants that attack yellow metals.
I do the same for my Model A's and Studebakers.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #37
GPierce

How do you know a certain lubricant has additives that will attack yellow metals?

I found the Copper Strip ASTMD130,3hrs@ 100oC for the gear oil I am using to be 1B which is light tarnish. It took a lot of digging to find it . It’s not somthing you find when you go shopping at Autozone for gear oil.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

I bought a gallon of GL-1 from NAPA. They had to order it, but had it in 3 hours.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 AM   #39
BILL WILLIAMSON

SO, with the WRONG Gear Oil, it'll wear the bronze bushings in only 37 YEARS---LOL
Bill Deadallready
Old 03-07-2019, 09:13 AM   #40
Railcarmover
BANNED

The GL-5 issue is with bronze synchronizers.The merits of high pressure high load GL-5 far outweigh the potential issue,which is non existent in a model a.Current GL-5 has been buffered to eliminate this rare issue..but hey,I use modern sealants and engine oils too..