Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #21
scicala

Default Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator Recommendations?

Yes, the Quadrajet is another carb that gets a bum rap. I guess because they don't look as pretty as a Holley in a detailed engine compartment. I think they are a very good carburetor.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #22
Tinker

Simple is okay in my book. More things to go wrong, usually do. But I know my limits and always refer to guys like you Sal to help make it right.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #23
KULTULZ

Thumbs down Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator Recommendations?

... well ...

GM designed the MOTORCRAFT 4300A, 4300D and 4350 (all patterend after the QUAD) for FORD during their mechanical emissions control period before injection and they were a pain in the a$$.

You can have all of that GM junk you want.

The above is IMO ONLY. Your mileage may vary... .

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #24
Alaska Jim

Kultulz, I will admit that I did not like the Ford version of the Quadrajet, to much emission stuff. They did seem to have a lot of trouble with them
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:48 AM   #25
KULTULZ

Post Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post

Kultulz, I will admit that I did not like the Ford version of the Quadrajet, to much emission stuff. They did seem to have a lot of trouble with them
I had a 4300D on a 73 351CJ and it was a nightmare (as was that periods mechanical emissions systems).

I had an interest some years ago with LINC of that period and how to keep them running with the systems of that period. Just as with you guys with period FORD, keeping the vehicle somewhat OEM and trying to keep the old systems functional.

The only way I would keep one is if the car had to be OEM, the same feeling I have for the H4000.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:23 PM   #26
Motorhead6

Part Number: 510-12-803

The Holley is a good recommendation; and be sure to back it down to about 3 1/2 psi. The most important thing I can tell you is to be sure and use Sta-Bil Marine Ethanol treatment to protect the pump, regulator, guage, metal fuel lines, and the carburetor. I had all kinds of trouble again and again until I learned this lesson. A 32 oz. bottle is about $28.95 and you only use 1 oz. per 10 gal of gas. That's less than 10 cents per gal.

That's my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #27
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
I had a 4300D on a 73 351CJ and it was a nightmare (as was that periods mechanical emissions systems).

I had an interest some years ago with LINC of that period and how to keep them running with the systems of that period. Just as with you guys with period FORD, keeping the vehicle somewhat OEM and trying to keep the old systems functional.

The only way I would keep one is if the car had to be OEM, the same feeling I have for the H4000.

All carbs in the early 70's were calibrated on the lean edge before catalytic converters came around in order to meet emissions. Even the chokes were calibrated on the lean side in order to pass emissions testing. A stall during a cold start procedure it today's engineering is totally unacceptable. Back in the early 70's, one stall on a cold start was actually acceptable.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote