Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #1
Conaway2

Default Distributor and cam issue

I recently bought 3 distributor rotors from 3 different suppliers - all 3 rotors appear identical, except for the small numbers on the inner surface of the rotor...which I believe are injection molding machine numbers.

All of the rotors are a loose fit on two different distributor cams I have; the tab on the rotor that fits into the cam notch is too small, resulting in some fairy significant play between the cam and rotor.

I have one much older rotor which is a very snug fit on the cam.

Has anyone else encountered this, and, if so, do you have a simple solution to remove the play between the two parts ?

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
mass A man

Default Re: Distributor and cam issue

I would treat it as backlash since the dist. will only rotate in one direction when running.
If you really want a solution, you could try a hot knife pressed down a little bit on the bottom side of the plastic rotor key, fattening the "nub" and maybe follow up with a small file. I haven't tried this crazy idea, I just treat it as backlash and never had a problem.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #3
Synchro909

I had a rotor that was made with that tab so small, it was able to spin on the cam. It did that one day as I took off from the lights. The result was what sounded like WW3. The backfiring was unbelievable. The rotor stopped at about half way between distributor body contacts so it would fire one way this time and another next time. It took a while to find the reason for the problem.
Being a tight @$$, I fixed the rotor by drilling through it from under the arm, right through the where the tab should have been and gluing in a nylon replacement. Still going fine!
Old 02-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I had a rotor that was made with that tab so small, it was able to spin on the cam. It did that one day as I took off from the lights. The result was what sounded like WW3. The backfiring was unbelievable. The rotor stopped at about half way between distributor body contacts so it would fire one way this time and another next time. It took a while to find the reason for the problem.
Being a tight @$$, I fixed the rotor by drilling through it from under the arm, right through the where the tab should have been and gluing in a nylon replacement. Still going fine!
Synchro - Now that’s a good fix !

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
rocket1

The good replacement rotors were sold years back in a FoMoCo box that stated carton and contents made in U.S.A.They are a tight fit to the cam.Most likely the present day rotors are foreign made.The FoMoCo rotor has a brass arm instead of steel.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote