Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
65f100

Default co-op

first question - what is/was natioal co-operative ive searched a bit and havnt found any info its printed on my spark plugs and spare tire
for some reason i cant upload pics
65f100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: co-op

National Co-operatives, Inc. was an industrial company that got started in the mid-'30s. The co-op name signaled that they were agriculturally focused. Here's what they listed as their product lines on their 1939 trademark application:

Quote:
Boric Acid Powder, Calomel, Spirits of Camphor, Camphor Ice, Carbolic Acid, Castor Oil, Chloroform, Citrate of Magnesia, Cod Liver Oil, Haliver Oil, Epsom Salts, Sulphur, Glycium; Liniment for the Treatment of Muscular Aches and Pains, Rheumatism, Lumbago, Neuralgia and Like Ailments; Lithia Tablets, Quinine, Stearate of Zinc, Peroxide of Hydrogen, Iodine, Potash, Petroleum Jelly, Chloride of Lime, Muriate of Potash, Sweet Oil, Wood Alcohol, Beeswax, Cough Drops, Breath Purifying Tablets, Toothache Wax, Toothache Liquid, Tooth Paste, Tooth Powder, Stomach Bitters, Mouth Wash, Mustard Plasters, Foot Powder, Smelling Salts, Eye Wash, Yeast Tablets, Vitamin Capsules, Milk of Magnesia, Laxative Tablets, Carbolic Salve, Witch Hazel, Preparations for the Treatment of Diseases in Poultry and Livestock, Incense, Embalming Fluid, Liquid Ink Eradicator, Fly Spray, Insect Powder, Sheep Dip, Paris Green, Mosquito Repellant, Bluing, Laundry Starch Lye, Clothing Dye, Radiator Cleaner, Drain Cleaner, Ammonia; Automobile Knee Action, Brake and Shock Absorber Fluid; Photographic Chemical, Radiator Anti-Freeze Solution, Welding Compound, Soldering Acid, Face Powder, Lip Stick, Rouge, Depilatories, Skin Lotion, Skin Cream, Mud Pack, Hair Dressing, Hair Tonic, Liquid Shampoo, Perfume, Nail Polish, Nail Polish Remover, Eye Shadow, Mascara, Cold Cream, Vanishing Cream, Deodorant, Powder Base, Wave Set, and Chemical Rust Remover
Here's a 1938 article that touches on the reputation of their line of tires.
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.27.43 AM.jpg
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
alexiskai

From an eBay auction
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (75.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1.jpg (44.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
From an eBay auction
Those look like Model T spark plugs, 1/2" NPT thread.
Old 01-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Those look like Model T spark plugs, 1/2" NPT thread.
Oh yeah, they are. I just posted it because it's the brand he was asking about.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
65f100

thanks for reply-must admit the 1938 artical is hard to read
ill do more research just for my own knoledge
Old 01-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #7
rotorwrench

I grew up in Kansas and most farm towns with a population over 2000 generally had a Farmers CO-OP. The organization was formed under Farmland Industries but I've never seen any reference to the National Co-Operative, Inc. so they are likely not related. Local CO-OPs had grain elevators and sold seed, feed, and fertilizer products as well as a filling station with a shop that sold & mounted tires for cars, trucks, & tractors with the CO-OP name on them. They had other CO-OP branded products like filters, batteries, and other odds and ends but these products were likely manufactured by other companies in bulk for them to reduce costs. They also had a field service for trucks & tractors out on the farm. This organization sold its assets off by 2004 but they were in business for near 74 years.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
65f100

very interesting - thanks for the info
Old 01-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
rotorwrench

I found some further information from this link. I was wrong about the relationship with Farmland Industries. They are related.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Cooperatives

This national CO-OP system was the early beginnings of the co-operative that ended up as Farmland Industries in 1966. It was started as a Farm Bureau based company in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Minnesota then through mergers of different farmer owned co-operatives, finally evolved into the Farmland Industries CO-OP that I mentioned previously. It began as Union and Farm Bureau Oil company and several other agriculture related sales companies in 1933. Union Oil Company (formerly Cowden Oil Company) owner Howard Cowden was the major organizer of the CO-OP in 1929. This was a complex organization of industry and farm owners that ranged from Canada to Mexico. CO-OPs of this nature do not exist in modern era. Corporate function took over from co-operative function and it basically died off. Corporate farms had a lot to do with the situation. There are a lot less mom & pop farms these days.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
65f100

the wiki artical is good info there was a link for a "mr.tire" none near me and i dont think they sell co-op tires for a model a anymore - to bad cause my 29 needs new sneakers