Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #1
aanderson178

Default Banjo rearend rebuild

I need a 1936 rearend rebuild, has a broken right axel, I'm in Florida for the winter. Anyone have a contact for repairs ?
aanderson178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Banjo rearend rebuild

If everything else is good and the pattern is good you should be able to just replace the axle. Be sure to measure the shims on the housing when taking it apart and replace with the same. How did you break the axle, not enough torque on the axle nut? If that is the case be sure the other side doesn't have a crack starting to work its way through it. If you are running hydraulics you might want to look into safety hubs or clips.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #3
aanderson178

I just purchased the 36, it has hyd. brakes, the axel broke right next to the outer bearing, I'm new with owning this vintage of fords.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
tubman

It sounds like you went to Florida, bought the car and then broke the axle. If this is the case, we really should know where in Florida you are if you need assistance. Florida is a big state, as I find out every year on my way down from Minnesota.

Also, as I learned from my '36 3-window, you really have to be careful with the drivetrain in these cars if you have upgraded the engine at all.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
aanderson178

I'm in the Fort Myers area, the engine is stock 21 head, I drove the car 28 miles when the axle went, lucky the wheel stayed on the axle, feel off when I jacked the car up, I read up on rebuilding the banjo rearend and this more than I can do while in Florida. Hoping to find some that can do or help me get back on the road.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
Ggmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanderson178 View Post
I'm in the Fort Myers area, the engine is stock 21 head, I drove the car 28 miles when the axle went, lucky the wheel stayed on the axle, feel off when I jacked the car up, I read up on rebuilding the banjo rearend and this more than I can do while in Florida. Hoping to find some that can do or help me get back on the road.
Are you staying down here for the winter ? Did you buy the car and are driving it home , up north ?
Im in west palm beach and have a complete wide five 36 or 37 rear with driveshaft and torque tube , radius rods . I was going to reinstall on a track car .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:15 PM   #7
aanderson178

I stay in Florida til may then back home to Sd for summer, I plan to leave the he 36 ford in Florida, I what to have it to go to local car shows. The car is supposed to original with the added hyd. brakes, it was owned by the same family since 1956. If I can find someone two rebuild with new axles is my goal, I have the axle out of the car.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanderson178 View Post
I stay in Florida til may then back home to Sd for summer, I plan to leave the he 36 ford in Florida, I what to have it to go to local car shows. The car is supposed to original with the added hyd. brakes, it was owned by the same family since 1956. If I can find someone two rebuild with new axles is my goal, I have the axle out of the car.
There's a guy in the Tampa area that has done this in the past, and done it well. I'm waiting on his contact info from another Florida friend. I'll get back here with his contact info as soon as I get it. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 01-01-2021 at 04:35 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
Rodrelic

I am in the panhandle now will be going to Ft Myers later. I had come with parts to put together a project, not going to get to this season. I have put them together in a fixture on table top. Have the shorter pre-war axles as well as shim/gasket assortment from previous projects. I also have a spring spreader, maybe it could be done under car, don’t know how miserable that would be.
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
There's a guy in the Tampa area that has done this in the past, and done it well. I'm waiting on his contact info from another Florida friend. I'll get back here with his contact info as soon as I get it. DD

I sent you a PM. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

I know of several possibilities not too far from the Ft Meyers area that might be able to help you out. If you would like me to contact them on your behalf, click on my avatar, go to my contact information, and send me an email with your contact information, details on your car, what happen, etc., and maybe one of them can help you on this.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote