Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
jimloiselle

Default 48 Ford Ignition Wireing

I am in the process of installing new wires on my 48 V8. There must be a certain routing for each wire through the looms and out to the distributor cap. It looks as if the wires cross over each other on the top of the cap there will not be room to close the cover.
Does anyone out there know where I can find out how to do this job the way Henry intended?

Thanks, Jim
jimloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: 48 Ford Ignition Wireing

Rephrase your question please. Unclear what your problem really is.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
jimloiselle

Just a quick comment as to what I need to help in wiring my distributor -

If anyone has a description of how to correctly install the ignition wires in the distributor cap and the two wire distribution looms on my 48 V8, or knows where I find instructions or helpful hints please let me know.

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
-Big Al-

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ires&showall=1

some good info here.
Al.
-Big Al- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
jimloiselle

I finely figured out how to correctly rout all the new wires through the looms, distributor cap cover, and on to the distributor cap -
First I figured out the routing of the old wires, and installed them back the way they were. This was easy because they were already bent as needed. Then I took pictures of them and marked all the wires in the pictures with their related cylinder numbers.
Then took out the old wires and installed the new ones using the pictures as a guide.

Looking back, the best way would have been to take the pictures before I removed the old wires in the first place... O well.

Thanks for the help anyway!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Mart

Yes, they are a tight fit. A lot of people go over to using the earlier crab style cap, it's just a bit simpler, if you are ok with it being non-stock for your year of car.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
jimloiselle

Just a few more things I ran across while installing my 48 V8 ignition wires -

1. While comparing the old to the new wires I was installing I noticed that the connector ends ( the ends that plug into the distributor cap ), that the metal contacts soldered to the ends of the new wires were not well formed. They were not rounded to fit the inside diameters of the wire holes in the cap and were very hard to insert into the cap. If you have this problem un-solder the metal contacts from the old wires, cut the new contacts off of the new wires, and solder the old contacts on to the new wires.

2. The new wires I was using were the original style with brown insolation. The brown covering on the wires tended to crack whenever I tried to bend the wire to form a 90 deg. bend, which is required on every wire before being inserted into the cap. To prevent the cracking and to keep the wire's bent shape after being formed I heated the wire with a hot air gun at the point of the bend before forming it with a smooth jaw pliers. Be careful and do not overheat the insolation, just hot enough to get the insolation to hold its shape after forming.
If your new wires have black rubber insolation only, they may be flexable enough that may not need heating and forming for them to fit under the distributor cap cover.

3. In order to have enough room between the top of the distributor cap and the cap cover for all 9 wires to fit after the cover is closed, it is very important that you not allow more than 2 wires to overlap under the cover.

The wires coming out of the each of the two wire looms will probably not be in the right order so that they will fan into the cover correctly to prevent to many overlaps under the cover. If the wires need to be reordered, re-order them inside the two 6 inch rubber boots that cover the wires between the end of each loom and the entrances of the cap so that when they enter the cover they will be in the correct order.

Good luck, Jim