Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Red face Color code or number for orange paint

The rims on my 1931 Sport Coupe are orange and so is the pin stripe. Was that a standard color and if so do you know the color name or code and where it can be purchased. Thanks in advance, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Color code or number for orange paint

I don't see Orange listed or anything else that could be thought to be orange in the standards.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Aerocraft

The Model A Paint and Finish Guide shows an "Orange" chip. For pinstriping, I use "One Shot" orange. I don't have a color code for the orange but expect that the web site wwwTCPGlobal.com will have the color and an "IM" code for it. They list all of the colors and will do a fine job of mixing the colors to match the chip. If I was painting wheels, I would order the color in PPG Concept from TCP Global. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
mot

you didnt mention the color of your 31 sport coupe
the only colors Ford offered for the 31 Sport Coupe stripe were
Straw,Hessian Blue,and apple green
the standard color for the wheels were Black
of couse the argument goes that Ford would paint your stripe and wheels any color you wanted at the dealer level
the only 31 cars that had orange stripe and wheels were the deluxe phaeton,deluxe roadster and the convertible sedan
the 31 Cabriolet had the orange stripe ,but the wheels were black standard
all with the Bronson yellow and Seal Brown paint scheme
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

I have a 30 Std roadster and used the orange one-shot on the stripe. My wheels are black and have since changed them to 17" black powdercoat.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Big D

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Auto Color Library - Color Chip Selection can be found at http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?
Have no idea if it's a standard color but orange pin strips were also several years (Possible like the guy stated earlier, a dealer option)

I think the color is TCP IM 035
Good luck, it took me two times and a friend hand mixing to get the color dead on.. THEN I took it to a local paint store and had it computer sampled with correct levels so I could get more later if needed.

Last edited by Big D; 09-01-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Can you please elaborate on the TCP paint color. My auto paint store could not locate it.
Thanks Wayne
Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Big D

On the link posted below--- is a Color Chart for Model As. There is only one Orange listed - I ordered from them the smallest size (a pint I think) and had a friend finish out two strips on my Sport Coupe, While the out of the can color was just a little off (could have been from years of sun or waxing) he was able to "hand mix" in some brown to get it dead on. After I got this color I THEN went to my local shop and with their computer sampling was able to copy that color. I was told this was the only way to get a match because of weather. time and sun would all change the color, so just ordering Code xy would not do unless you were repainted the entire wheel or strips.

Good Luck

Hint of the day: Reducer will remove paint that may get on most anything expect PAINTED items.. if used on rubber, remember to wash at once (with warm water or window cleaner) to reduce effects on rubber.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/aclchip.aspx?
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Aerocraft

Big D gave the link for the TCP Global color chart page. The store is located in southern Californian and mixes and sells PPG and Global's own paint via the Internet. They have a marvelous selection of original paint chips and do a great job of mixing their paint to match the chips. I have been very happy with their service and product.

The home page link is www.tcpglobal.com. Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
Ken Ehrenhofer

You should be able to go to your local PPG paint store and get the orange paint you are looking for. This is a standard Model A Color. If the paint store cannot figure it out then they must go tot he PPG color lab in strongsville Ohio and get the formula for it in PPG urethane called Concept. If you have trouble let me know as I have been working with tem to see that this program is in place and i works,
Good luck,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Thank you all for offering the very useful advice. Now we try to order and I will let you know.
Ford friends are true friends !
Wayne