Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Model A Ford Mail Truck

Like photos of the 1929 and 1931 Model A Mail Trucks? Do you have photos of these iconic workhorses to share? Are you on Facebook as well as Fordbarn? Search Facebook for Model A Ford Mail Trucks. Add your photos and information. Please keep it focused, non-political and fun. Thanks.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #2
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Thanks go to “Wick” for adding the colorful history of his #10072 original Mail Truck. There are around 40-50 survivors of the 1400 York-Hoover and Mifflinburg bodied Model A Mail Trucks. Small sub-community within our larger group. These workhorses led very regimented lives from 1929 to 1954, day after day sameness. Things get really interesting after they were auctioned off though. Most were parted out, some driven into the dirt, some became chicken coops and parts bins. Sharing survivor stories on the new page can prove interesting.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
77Birdman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Eastern MD
Posts: 261
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

There is one somewhat close to me that I have seen at a local show a couple of times. Its a national winner and beautifully restored. First I have ever seen in person. Interestingly I think there are two currently for sale in Hemmings.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
barnstuf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cape Cod MA
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

I bought my 1931 Mail Truck in 1957 just three years after it was retired from the Gloucester, Massachusetts post office. It was their only mail truck so it was sold by bid for it alone. A local garden center used it for 3 years before my purchase. It was a running and drivable truck and for over 50 years I used it regularly for Model A club activities, including tours and for flea market vending. I was a member of the Postal Chapter and my truck was used by the late Aldie Johnson for data in his mail truck hard cover book. Time passes and it was finally restored and a few years later I sold it to a gentleman who had several unrestored mail trucks. I had it about 56 or so years, and one of its interesting duties was to bring Santa to the town Christmas Tree every year with presents for the children. Before it was restored it was lettered U.S. Mule as my local Postmaster advised me not to use the word Mail.

One last word is that I was told all Model A mail trucks that were in use in any town or city were replaced at one time, under a bidding process. A city might have many and the successful bidder was often a junk yard. One junk yard I visited a few times had a bout 15 retired mail trucks side by side and each was full of parts the yard wanted to keep dry. That was Bill's in Valley Falls, Rhode Island many years ago.
barnstuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
F.M.
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 385
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I bought my 1931 Mail Truck in 1957 just three years after it was retired from the Gloucester, Massachusetts post office. It was their only mail truck so it was sold by bid for it alone. A local garden center used it for 3 years before my purchase. It was a running and drivable truck and for over 50 years I used it regularly for Model A club activities, including tours and for flea market vending. I was a member of the Postal Chapter and my truck was used by the late Aldie Johnson for data in his mail truck hard cover book. Time passes and it was finally restored and a few years later I sold it to a gentleman who had several unrestored mail trucks. I had it about 56 or so years, and one of its interesting duties was to bring Santa to the town Christmas Tree every year with presents for the children. Before it was restored it was lettered U.S. Mule as my local Postmaster advised me not to use the word Mail.

One last word is that I was told all Model A mail trucks that were in use in any town or city were replaced at one time, under a bidding process. A city might have many and the successful bidder was often a junk yard. One junk yard I visited a few times had a bout 15 retired mail trucks side by side and each was full of parts the yard wanted to keep dry. That was Bill's in Valley Falls, Rhode Island many years ago.
Hi Rich, He also had all size of the trucks, I used to play in them.. Do you remember the all White 1920s Model T Baby Hearse inside sitting right next to that 1915 all most Mint Model T !! WOW how time flies !! P.S. I think the Mail Trucks were all from Pawtucket R.I. at least thats what Bill told me one day sitting in one while it was raining..
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:04 AM   #6
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Thanks for the Memories! I would love to post any of your photos on the Facebook page. You can email photos to me at curtiss@shentel.net and Iíll post them. I can handle any resolution, can clean up old photos some before posting. You can email a short note about your memories as well and I can post it. Thank you.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:50 AM   #7
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
There is one somewhat close to me that I have seen at a local show a couple of times. Its a national winner and beautifully restored. First I have ever seen in person. Interestingly I think there are two currently for sale in Hemmings.
There are two listed in Maryland. One in Pasadena, one in Frederick. Probably one of these that you have seen recently. Thanks for sharing.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:01 AM   #8
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

The wooden Mail truck bodies were mated to the Model A chassis at the Regional Post Office Garages in major US cities which were allocated specific numbers by the Postmaster General. Initially these trucks served these major cities, delivering bags of mail to the green dispatch/relay boxes to support mailmen on foot rounds. At some point in their very long careers, these trucks must have been relegated to small town post offices like Pawtucket where they served until the end of their postal duties. I don’t know this for a fact but a lot of the survivors’ stories do indicate they were rescued after small town service. Any one with a better history trail?
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #9
barnstuf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cape Cod MA
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

I talked with the Postmaster in Gloucester, Massachusetts when I bought their only Model A mail truck three years after it was retired. He told me it had three basic functions and the first of the three was delivering mail to the relay boxes for foot carriers to replenish their delivery sacks. Second was delivery of parcel post packages. Third was delivery of Special Delivery mail which in the 1930's and 1940's was quite common.
barnstuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:53 AM   #10
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Yes, that is almost universal for the Model A Mail truck. All were governed to 25 mph max, so I expect they spent their running lives lugging around town on short runs. I wonder at the engine and clutch issues this caused. When they installed the governor the choke/GAV rod had to be lowered. The factory hole in the firewall was plugged and a new one drilled. One way to ID your cowl as an original Mail Truck.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #11
77Birdman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Eastern MD
Posts: 261
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Pietenpol View Post
There are two listed in Maryland. One in Pasadena, one in Frederick. Probably one of these that you have seen recently. Thanks for sharing.
That's interesting, but the one I have seen in person is from Coatesville Pa I believe, owner may even be a member on here. I have seen it displayed a couple of times at a large show in Ches. City MD.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:24 AM   #12
34Pietenpol
Member
 
34Pietenpol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA
Posts: 65
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
That's interesting, but the one I have seen in person is from Coatesville Pa I believe, owner may even be a member on here. I have seen it displayed a couple of times at a large show in Ches. City MD.
The annual Chesapeake City Woodie gathering is quite a show in a beautiful town and setting along the Canal. I missed it this year but plan to make it next time, especially if one of our rare Mail Trucks attends. Looking at driving my 1931 MY there.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #13
77Birdman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Eastern MD
Posts: 261
Default Re: Model A Ford Mail Truck

Absolutely, it is has turned into a great show! I wasn't aware that the woodies were an annual thing. I too missed it this year, but have been there several times in the past. I live in the same county and its about a half hour from my house.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.