Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Colorado Greg

Default Fuel Resistant Paint for Gas Gauge?

I'm rebuilding the gas gauge on my '29 Coupe. After finally getting it apart, the glass out (it was harder getting glass out than apart) and cleaned up, I am ready to paint the numbers.

What type of paint will hold up for this application and where can I get it? This part will be submerged in gasoline and I don't want to have to redo it later. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Greg

Last edited by Colorado Greg; 06-14-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
MAG

Default Re: Fuel Resistant Paint for Gas Guage?

I have had great success by simply cleaning the strip with steel wool. It will polish up very nicely. When cleaned, the numbers are very clear through the window without any paint. I suppose if you are going to use paint the gasoline resistant paint sold by hobby shops might do. Although I don't know how long it will hold up with constant submersion. Bear in mind that most gasoline sold today has Ethanol in it.
MAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
d.j. moordigian

Default Re: Fuel Resistant Paint for Gas Gauge?

I think they are using DOPE it will say " hot fuel proof ", from the hobby shop. Dudley
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
wrndln

The only time the numbers and letters are submerged is when the gas tank is totally full. 80% to 90% of the time, the letters and fractions are not in the gas. You probably still want to use some special paint if you need to paint the information on the gauge. Tom Wesenberg has used Aero Gloss paint which is fuel resistant. It comes in small bottles at hobby stores.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
RichardW

I had a tendency to let mine run too low on fuel and more times than I like to admit out. I decided to paint the part of the gauge below 1/4 red and went to the hobby store to get some "fuel Proof" paint. They told me that it is simply lacquer so that got me to thinking where can I buy a very small amount of red lacquer? Then it dawned on me that nail polish lacquer, and it comes in a small bottle with a nice little brush and any shade of red you want. I did that several years ago and it is still holding up just fine, the gasoline doesn't bother it and neither does the alcohol. When I see red time to start looking for a station.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Ice man

I have a problem with the paint out side the tank. 29 Pk Up and new single stage green, and its all boubled up around the filler, and really bad, to the point it wiil need restriped and refinished. The gas just got to it, but no visible sign of leaks. I even used lots of teflon tape on the threads. Suggestions!! Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

POR 15 is absolutely gas resistant. I have used spray can black lacquer for years with good results, even on my Zenith carbs. Lacquer is less expensive and easier to use.

Spray a coat over the numbers and let it dry. You can rub over it with fine sandpaper and the black will remain in the recessed numbers.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Doug in NJ

On my gas gauge, I first tried fuel-proof model airplane dope (the same stuff I used on my carb with great success), but it did not adhere well, and started flaking out when I tried to sand off the excess the excess.

Then I tried Eastwood Ultimate Chassis Black, and it it worked fine:
http://www.dougbraun.com/model_a_gal...geViewsIndex=1
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice man View Post
I have a problem with the paint out side the tank. 29 Pk Up and new single stage green, and its all boubled up around the filler, and really bad, to the point it wiil need restriped and refinished. The gas just got to it, but no visible sign of leaks. I even used lots of teflon tape on the threads. Suggestions!! Iceman
If you look, the threaded part of the filler is copper plated. When painting, this part should be masked off to leave it bare. Once the paint is dry, paint the edge with clear fingernail polish to seal the paint from fumes and drips. This works 90% of the time and 100% of the time when done properly. This also works with 30/31 tanks with the twist on caps done the same way.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote