Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #21
shew01

Default Re: What are some of the counter intuitive things you have learned about a Model A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
For new Model A owners, what I recommend is to take your time, do a lot of research before making changes. Do one thing at a time and test the results, it's very easy to introduce new problems that will confuse you and make the original problem worse. The Mechanics Handbook is a good reference but not an end all. All the specs, for example the torqueing specs pertained to the vehicle when it was new, not a 90 year old vehicle with worn axle threads, very easily stripped if you torque to 125 ft pounds. Also be wary of new parts, some are ok, others are junk. Good luck.
That's a good one. I added "12)" to post 1.
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #22
shew01

Default Re: What are some of the counter intuitive things you have learned about a Model A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
A couple of additional notes.
I updated sections "4)" and "7)" in post 1. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #23
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Most counterintuitive thing with A? With the gear lever in the position you expect first to be.... you go backwards.
Yeah, I've done that. I doesn't inspire confidence from your passengers. ;-)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #24
daren007

Assembled a “T” from parts without help from anyone and a terrible restoration book. I had never heard one run until then. A fun time.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #25
shew01

Default What are some of the counter intuitive things you have learned about a Model A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
Assembled a “T” from parts without help from anyone and a terrible restoration book. I had never heard one run until then. A fun time.

Wow. You ARE brave. :-) So far, I’ve needed all the help I could get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 AM   #26
shew01

I added item 13 about unleaded ethanol in post 1. Does anyone see issues with the content?

Old 05-22-2020, 05:07 AM   #27
woofa.express

1. More lies are told about the size of fish, especially ones that got away.
2. More lies are told about the yields of crops.
3. more lies are told about THE SPEED OF MODEL A's

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
1. More lies are told about the size of fish, especially ones that got away.
2. More lies are told about the yields of crops.
3. more lies are told about THE SPEED OF MODEL A's
Expound on your opinion regarding that, please.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #29
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
Most counterintuitive thing with A? With the gear lever in the position you expect first to be.... you go backwards.
Maybe that's true "over there", but on this side of the pond the shift pattern used on the Model A was the norm for many cars for many, many years.

Last edited by katy; 05-22-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
katy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #30
Jack Shaft
BANNED

A four cylinder L head engine of 200 cubic inch displacement is capable of producing the power required for todays driving conditions,gearing will give you the road speed.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #31
30 Closed Cab PU

Suggestions below.

These are my understandings, would wait for possible corrections/added info from others before making changes to post 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
This post may be helpful to folks that are new to Model AÂ’s.

What are some of the counter intuitive things (and their fixes) you have learned about a Model A? For me, here are some of the things that I didnÂ’t expect and cost me time figuring them out. IÂ’m still fairly new to Model AÂ’s. Please correct me if I get any of the following wrong.

2) The metal linkage rods that connect the steering column spark lever (on the left side of the steering wheel) and throttle lever (on the right side of the steering wheel) to the distributor and carburetor have ends on them that fit over linkage balls. The linkage rod ends are spring loaded and “stretch” so that you can remove the rods from the balls. Up to you, may want to mention how the GAV/Choke Rod disconnects from the carb, also unique.

5) The Model A does not have a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), in terms of what we call a VIN on modern cars. (VINs were federally mandated in 1954, and the newest Model A is a 1931.) Instead, it has an engine number stamped on the driver side of the block. That engine number should be on your car title. That engine number should also match the stamping on the frame, which cannot be seen without at least partially removing the body. (IÂ’ve never seen a stamped body number, but I am told it is on the driver side of the frame, under the cab of the body.) As a side note, I think motors were stamped on the line when installing the motor on the frame, to match the frame #. So the correct # is what is on the frame.

6) If the car has been sitting for years, itÂ’s a good idea to drop the oil pan to clean out the sludge, including the oil pump screen, that is likely to be present. Also recommended is cleaning out the valve galley located behind the valve cover, and additionally cleaning the 3 small oil passages located in the rear bottom of the oil galley. However, the oil pump can fall out as your remove the pan. Model A parts dealers sell a device that screws into the side of the engine to prevent the oil pump from falling out. If you decide to use your own screw, be aware that the thread is not a standard thread that is likely to be found in your toolbox. The hole is easily stripped with an improper screw.

Starting the Engine

A. Release the lock cylinder by turning the switch key to the right as described on Page 6. - Please note a lot of cars do not have the Lock Cylinder ignition switch, I believe the locking style is only on certain year, earlier As.

C. If the engine is cold, turn the carburetor adjusting rod one full turn to the left starting from full CW, to give it a richer mixture for starting.

10) It is recommended to use the Barn Search function as the vast majority of questions/subjects have been previously discussed. Forum members appreciate those who have done some homework before posting.

Note - Have reworded the above to be positive and guide Newbies to the forum.

13) Unleaded ethanol gasoline will burn okay in a Model A. Leaded has was not available when the car was manufactured. However, the alcohol in ethanol tends to collect moisture, which will cause the gas tank to rust. If that rust breaks free from the tank, it tends to clog carburetor parts and possibly score the gas shutoff valve.

FYI - more info on this site, also has been thoroughly discussed on the Barn.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/review_g..._products.html

Note as an FYI - It is my understanding the sediment bowl and sediment bowl screen, and the carburetor filter will keep damaging trash from getting into/damaging the carb.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #32
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Maybe that's true "over there", but on this side of the pond the shift pattern used on the Model A was the norm for many cars for many, many years.
Gosh, how fascinating, I never knew that.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
I have my GPS in the car set up to always navigate for me.
My wife asked why I do that, I told her it is training exercise to ignore female voices.

J

But don't most GPS units use a female voice?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #34
shew01

Quote:
A couple of additional notes.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Quote:
2) ... Up to you, may want to mention how the GAV/Choke Rod disconnects from the carb, also unique.
I added item 14 to post #1, but I need some help wording this one. I have no experience taking this apart.

Quote:
5) ... As a side note, I think motors were stamped on the line when installing the motor on the frame, to match the frame #. So the correct # is what is on the frame.
I updated the content for item 5 in post #1. I'm still not happy with how the wording flows.

Quote:
6) ... Also recommended is cleaning out the valve galley located behind the valve cover, and additionally cleaning the 3 small oil passages located in the rear bottom of the oil galley.
I updated the content for item 6 in post #1.

Quote:
10) ... It is recommended to use the Barn Search function as the vast majority of questions/subjects have been previously discussed. Forum members appreciate those who have done some homework before posting.
Good call. I have a dry sense of humor, and, sometimes, my snarkiness gets the better of me. ;-) I don't intend to offend anyone. I updated the content.

Quote:
13) ... it tends to clog carburetor parts and possibly score the gas shutoff valve.
I updated the content for item 13 in post #1.

Quote:
14) The GAV/choke rod connection to the carburetor is unique.
I need some help wording for this one--I have never had this apart.

I also added 15) and 16).
Old 05-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #35
daveymc29

One thing that I found that surprised me was that the only fuel filter that doesn't come back to bite you, other than the screens that were stock, is the little pencil filter that fits into the fuel shut off valve. All others I have tried eventually gave me troubles with the engine starved for fuel when I wanted it most. Busy intersection, winding , very narrow road, steep hill, etc.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #36
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
little pencil filter that fits into the fuel shut off valve.
Thanks. I forgot about that fuel filter. I added it to item 13 in post #1.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:12 AM   #37
shew01

I added:

"17)" for fan information

"18)" for radiator hose information

"19)" for anti-seize compound on the spark plugs and distributor

Please post if corrections need to be made.

Last edited by shew01; 05-23-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #38
katy

[QUOTE "19)" for anti-seize compound on the spark plugs [/QUOTE]

I don't see any need for anti-seize on spark plugs.

[QUOTE] counter intuitive things [QUOTE]

IMHO a lot of the things on your list are not counter intuitive, they're just good ideas.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #39
Jack Shaft
BANNED

If you have an aluminum high compression head it's highly advisable to use anti seize on the spark plug threads.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #40
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
[QUOTE "19)" for anti-seize compound on the spark plugs
I don't see any need for anti-seize on spark plugs.

[QUOTE] counter intuitive things
Quote:

IMHO a lot of the things on your list are not counter intuitive, they're just good ideas.

Hmmm... I’ve had problems with stuck spark plugs on other old cars. That’s the reason I listed that one. My Model A is in good shape, and I haven’t had issues with anything stuck except the distributor so far. On a recent Model A work day, we gave up on a distributor after some folks banged and pried on that car’s distributor for several hours. I’m surprised that didn’t break off the distributor collar in the head.

I agree some of the current list items are not necessarily counter intuitive. The original list started out as counter intuitive items, and I’ve added other things that I have learned as a newbie that seem to be useful to pass on to other newbies.

There is a LOT of knowledge on this forum. It would be nice to consolidate at least summaries of common questions/issues into a single place.