Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
ford35lh

Default Horn rod removal

35/37 pickup:

How does the horn button/light switch knob separate from the rod ???

Can you remove the rod without dropping the steering tube and box ???
ford35lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Sparky79

Default Re: Horn rod removal

Pick ups can be tricky to get out when I tried removal of mine I failed had to remove the steering gear box and column to get it out. You can pull out the rear window. That being said I'm in the process of a complete make over so it was just another thing that needed removal so I could get the cab off. What's the reason for the removal is the rod broken?
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Sparky79

Mine is a 38 in order to get the horn button out there is a clip on the bottom of the rod past the end of the gear box under the cap where the wires go in, sorry for the nontechnical name, that holds the tube in place remove that and you can attempt the removal of it.
Sparky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
oldandtired

If I understand your question, if you remove the bail and the light switch/clip at the bottom of the horn rod down by the steering box the horn rod should pull out enough at the top to remove the horn button without having to completely remove the rod. You do not want to separate the rod from where it attaches to the horn button plate if you can avoid doing so. You do not want to bend the horn rod in an effort to remove it with so little room in the pickup cab. I have tried removing the entire tube without doing what Sparky suggests and I ended up still having to follow his procedure so I could replace the tube I rendered useless.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
ford35lh

I have to remove the steering wheel to try and restore it.
The horn button switch assy has a nice gouge in it .
Wasn't sure if the button separated from the tube.
If I have to drop the steering box I might as well yank the
whole shebang and overhaul it all.
ford35lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #6
38bill

I had to remove the rear window in my '38 to get the horn rod/button out. If you can work on the horn button while its still in the truck just remove the clip and raise it up off the steering wheel. A little body filler, sanding, some paint and your good to go.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Blastfromthepast

You can not separate the rod from the horn button housing with out cutting the rod. I found out the hard way that the rod is rounded over the horn button housing. You can remove the horn button by removing the steering wheel. Disconnect the light harness at the bottom of the column. Then you can pull the rod up and out but might have a problem with it hitting the roof but you don’t have to remove the whole rod. Remove it just enough to see the horn button bent over ears that hold it to the housing. Be careful unbending them you don’t want to snap them off. If you do you will need a New button.
Blastfromthepast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
4t7heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastfromthepast View Post
You can not separate the rod from the horn button housing with out cutting the rod. I found out the hard way that the rod is rounded over the horn button housing. You can remove the horn button by removing the steering wheel. Disconnect the light harness at the bottom of the column. Then you can pull the rod up and out but might have a problem with it hitting the roof but you don’t have to remove the whole rod. Remove it just enough to see the horn button bent over ears that hold it to the housing. Be careful unbending them you don’t want to snap them off. If you do you will need a New button.

You may want to remove the steering tube bracket from the dash board to give you a better angle (at least more options) when pulling up the rod.
4t7heaven is offline   Reply With Quote