Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #41
MCHinson

Default Re: Hershey is Dying, Corrections are needed

For the past several years, I have arrived in Hershey on Tuesday and set up with some friends in the Chocolate Field early on Wednesday morning. This year sales were OK, but not quite as good as the past couple of years. There are quite a few vendors like me who sell through Friday evening and close up on Saturday. The reason for this is that Saturday is taken up by the car show. If showing a car, or judging, that makes it impractical to keep your swap meet space open on Saturday. On Saturday, as soon as I am finished judging, looking at some other cars in the show and visiting with a few friends, I am ready for the 8 hour drive home.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #42
peters180a/170b

I did that for years.... MCHinson.....This is the first time in a long time i did not judge at Hershey. Judges breakfast at 7a.m. , putting the car on the field before 10:00 , judging ,,then getting back to my car , loading it in the trailer and then help putting all the parts away on the tables.We now have 1 person just selling parts right up to Saturday early afternoon and leaving Sunday morning. Worked out well this year..
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #43
schalljo

Jeff,
Hello, new to Hershey, have not been there yet, you indicate you sleep in your truck and able to cook, how do you do that, do they let you do that there? did you rent a space or in the parking lot?

Thanks
schalljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #44
KR500

I made the trip this year after having been absent from Hershey for 28 years. It was great to be back and A LOT has changed. My first year my friend, father, and myself stayed with George Dammann of Crestline Publishing at his motel room and slept on the floor. Watching big Classics hauled from the mud by tractors and die hard part searchers sliding and falling in the mud, you knew you were with serious parts hounds. I also noticed the aging group of old timers who were dedicated, no matter how, to stumble along with their newly found and cherished part bungied to their walker, along with a happy look of satisfaction. The parking is now handled by Herco employees collecting $12.00 to park and barking orders of where to park. More porta potties, people on staff to keep them neat, more food vendors, and the great camaraderie of the car folks still makes it worthwhile. It isn't cheap to attend Hershey with $4.00 a gallon fuel, jacked up room rates and such, but Hershey is still the biggest. I also have attended Iola, Wisconsin for years and that also shows signs of aging. Maybe the old car hobby is declining because of cost of ownership of a car and the cost of restoring it.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
KR500

I made the trip this year after having been absent from Hershey for 28 years. It was great to be back and A LOT has changed. My first year my friend, father, and myself stayed with George Dammann of Crestline Publishing at his motel room and slept on the floor. Watching big Classics hauled from the mud by tractors and die hard part searchers sliding and falling in the mud, you knew you were with serious parts hounds. I also noticed the aging group of old timers who were dedicated, no matter how, to stumble along with their newly found and cherished part bungied to their walker, along with a happy look of satisfaction. The parking is now handled by Herco employees collecting $12.00 to park and barking orders of where to park. More porta potties, people on staff to keep them neat, more food vendors, and the great camaraderie of the car folks still makes it worthwhile. It isn't cheap to attend Hershey with $4.00 a gallon fuel, jacked up room rates and such, but Hershey is still the biggest. I also have attended Iola, Wisconsin for years and that also shows signs of aging. Maybe the old car hobby is declining because of cost of ownership of a car and the cost of restoring it.
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #46
Roadster62

Hershey is only a 4 hour drive for me and I haven't missed once since my first in 1969. Sure, things change, all the parts from 1969 are on cars or sitting on a shelf somewere. There will always be something to buy there, both keepers and items to flip on the internet (been there, done that), I enjoy the walking. Something I'd like to do if I had the funds is visit the other large flea markets around the country. Fly in, buy, fly home. Bob
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #47
Super88

I haven't been to Hershey, but I've been to my share of swap meets and I agree with the poster that stated the promoters should restrict the items sold to related items. I've been to too many swap meets where a lot of space is taken up by Beanie Babies and junk furniture. There are other venues for those kind of items. The Chief Blackhawk Chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club of America restrict the items at their swap meet to antique motorcycle parts and it makes looking for something much more enjoyable.
Super88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #48
todd3131

[Maybe the old car hobby is declining because of cost of ownership of a car and the cost of restoring it.] The old car hobby isn't decining it is changing, the first time I was in Hershey was 1969 and the spots were full of brass era parts and in the 80's it was thirtys cars. It is just changing I was at a collector car dealership and the general manager of it thinks that a early 90's corvette is a old car! He is selling later model Mustang and camaros for ridiculously stupid money that would but two or three model a's. When I was a kid and a old guy would come up and say he bought a model a new just like it and now some guy in his mid 70's will ask me what it is and then comment on some late 50's car he bought for 100.00. It is sad to see but that is the way it is the young crowd is wanting muscle cars or street rods because that is what they grew up with. I grew up with model a's and they will always be my first love but I have had quite a few affairs with other cars of one kind or another but I will never sell my roadster. To end the rambling the old car hobby is alive, well and evolving, and that is why Hershey is dying it isn't evolving to include the last 70 years of production.
Todd
Todd
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller6 View Post
I was back to Hershey this year after a three year absence. It always coincides with a meeting that I have to attend but this year I was able to break free.

What I noticed was all the empty spaces even on Wednesday and also many on-field parking lots where there was not so much as a card table with parts. I also noticed many people on electric scooters, Segways, and even a hybrid which consisted of a running Honda generator cooled by a desk fan placed in a wagon towed by an electric scooter. Another guy built a two wheel trailer for a standing passenger. Many of these operators whizzed by and acted like they had the right of way over foot traffic. I am guessing this is a consequence of all the fields being paved. I am not a doctor and will not comment on anyone's physical needs, I just was put off by having to dodge these drivers several times.
That guy with that hybrid vechicle was such a sham. He was set-up a few spots down from me. When he returned from parts gathering, he'd get off and walk around like nothing was wrong.

His set-up was also so obnoxious with that loud motor running at a high RPM into some type of gear reduction so he could creap around at a snails pace gauking at your parts.

You mean to tell me that you can afford to go to Hershey, but can't afford a battery for your oversized three-wheeled cart?

B.S. you lazy, sod!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Great minds think alike, I have been thinking similar thoughts the last couple of years. Haven't been going as long as some of you, but I definitely remember the mud and unbelievable amount of brass in the late 70's. Met master restorer Walter Seeley, with his American Underslung. Oh, Hershey of the past! Fall Hershey and spring Carlise were the must go swaps. Haven't been to Carlise but once in the last 20 years, cause not much there for me. I will continue to go, hopefully for more than one day, and b*tch about the boobs with traffic control and parking, the motorized people movers that have taken over the last couple of years, and the unused spaces. Each year I still feel the excitement knowing I will see at least one spectacular thing I had never seen or may never seen again.

Mind you, I'm 41 and have been going to Hershey since I was 9. I love it and look forward to it each year. I've always said the worst day at Hershey always beats the best day at work.

I love taking in the sights and sounds of it. Hearing some of these old jems run is like music to my ears. Every year I chuckle seeing the guy who displays the old wheel with the tree grown into it. Walking around the car corral, I'm like a kid in a candy store making a mental "wish list" of cars I'd buy if I hit the lottery.

I too enjoy the "Hershey folk". Sometimes the sale of part turns into a really cool friendship with a like-minded person.

I too get frustrated with the changes I've noticed over the years. It takes a few months to forget about them and get jazzed up for next Oct.

With all of this in mind, approx. 5 years ago I asked around in hopes to search out and speak to one of the top guys in the Hershey branch on the AACA. Knowing a little about how to deal with the public, I did this on my first day there so I was still clean shaven and presentable.

I spoke in a non-confrontational way and really tried to impress upon the guy that it is folks like me who are the future of Hershey.

I first thanked him for his club's hard work in putting on this show year after year. I gave him a little history of long I've been coming. I believe I was also carrying around an flathead 2X2 intake set-up I just bought I my way to find the guy.

When I found him (I don't recall his name), I asked him the following questions:

1) Why is so hard to get a spot when there are so many open spaces?
2) Can't you put some type of rule in place that if you miss three years in a row, you lose your spot so others, who have parts to sell, can offer these at the swap meet?
3) Has there been any discussions on how to keep this great thing going since a lot of the guys that started it are getting older?

The guy couldn't have been more bothered by me and gave me a line of B.S. about this or that.
Maybe my timing was off and the show was occupying his thoughts. Granted, I'll give you that, but I wanted to do this in person and not over the phone.

He then inquired if I was a member of the Early V8 Club, said yep. Showed him my card. He backed off a little, but basically gave me the line how dare I question the Great Oz and this thing is going to last forever.

Shook his hand, thanked him for his time and walked away. Inside I was a little bent by his attitude and realized he is wrong and being very short sighted.

Fast forward to this year, even more empty spaces and even less parts around. One of the fields had an entire row open.

Folks, if anyone from the Hershey Region AACA is reading this thread, please implement some changes before the great institution of Hershey is lost to future car people interested in the hobby.

Sadly, the future is not with the long standing, older members of your club. It is with the younger guys and gals looking to get into their first Model A or early V8; regardless if it is a stocker or a hot rod. The end goal is the same: we all love old cars.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 10-23-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #51
ct1932ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery View Post
Hershey is what you want to make it. I arrive Tuesday morning and leave Saturday afternoon. In between I have the most fun a car guy can have. I love seeing all the people, old and young, talking to the foreigners (guests in our land), walking, and walking and walking. Treasures are everywhere and I enjoy the sights. I didn't notice the empty spaces at all, but then I am a "glass half full" kind of person. Yeah, the scooters are disturbing, but that is our society, not Hershey's fault. I see it as 5 days of sanity with "my people" and then a 360 day wait out in the truely insane world. I will go as long as my tired old body will let me, sleeping in my truck, cooking my own meals, and having the time of my life!
Well Said! Can't wait for 2013
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #52
Midwest Tin

Hi, Just think, only 49 weeks to go! Gotta love Hershey!
Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #53
Bill Underwood

I love Hershey too and will go as long as I am able. At 65, I know it won't be as long as it has been! Somewhere in the thread I did see where someone complained about the assist scooters, etc. I see both sides of it and really did see some discourteous riders! But...........

I agree there are too many parkers and non-flea occupier; I may be a culprit too. I display, put my cell # on it and get lost in the hunt.

For me, the problem is we are just running out of stuff that I am interested in...early Ford and Model A. I realize there cannot be an endless flow of parts every year. As a matter of fact, I identify some vendors as arriving with exactly what they left with last year.

Time marches on! Like or not. But I will be there as long as able.

BU
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #54
Roadster62

That type of thinking will fit right in on the AACA FORUM, the late model people took over that Forum. The day that crap takes over the Hershey swap meet is the day trhe Hobby dies. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd3131 View Post
To end the rambling the old car hobby is alive, well and evolving, and that is why Hershey is dying it isn't evolving to include the last 70 years of production.
Todd
Todd
Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #55
ronn

Bob, the hobby is "dying". That is the point....

nothing stays the same forever.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #56
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Bob, the hobby is "dying". That is the point....

nothing stays the same forever.

Not sure it's dying, but it needs new blood in. For example: I'm a guy who has collected a lot of parts over my short time in the hobby. Add another 100 or so guys that are like me, you'd breath so new life into some of those empty spots.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #57
ronn

Tim, the old grey mare she ain't what she used to be....

fordgarage makes an xlnt point- the powers of the governments haven't helped in the cause,
only stifled the little fun that is being had out there. Time for a walk on the beach....
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #58
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
The ongoing 'actions' of the PA Department of Treasury have killed Hershey for me personally.
I did not object to collecting and submitting 'their' sales tax, but they have upped the ante considerably now against transient vendors and personal income taxes as well. Less impact to PA residents who presumably already file PA personal income taxes.

Any swap meet that leads to involving / opposing lawyers is doomed as far as I am concerned.

It is unlikely I will ever sell at Hershey again, and it is really not worth the time and expense of attending just to try and shop the remaining persecuted vendors.

and so it goes...
Yes, very good point.

What confuses me is why are taxes being collected on a used part? Weren't taxes already paid on this item?

How is it legal to tax it twice?
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #59
ronn

Tim, likewise how is it legal for the state of NJ or any other state to collect sales tax every time a car is sold? And at the bargain price of only 7%? Some model A's no doubt have been sold 20-30 times in their lives....
Government is ALWAYS broke-haven't you noticed?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #60
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
The ongoing 'actions' of the PA Department of Treasury have killed Hershey for me personally.
I did not object to collecting and submitting 'their' sales tax, but they have upped the ante considerably now against transient vendors and personal income taxes as well. Less impact to PA residents who presumably already file PA personal income taxes.

Any swap meet that leads to involving / opposing lawyers is doomed as far as I am concerned.

It is unlikely I will ever sell at Hershey again, and it is really not worth the time and expense of attending just to try and shop the remaining persecuted vendors.

and so it goes...
I think Vince is very 'spot-on' in his assessment as it mirrors my thoughts too. Like many other vendors, the hidden expense for me was too great to justify the participation as a professional vendor.

That did not stop me from attending as a buyer, and one thing that I commented about this year's show was I did not see many people carrying 'big-ticket' items they had found there. I can't help but think that if the show could have been held four weeks later after the election (no matter the outcome) that people would have been spending more money that was in their wallet. Therefore this year by itself may not be the benchmark by which future Hershey's should be judged against.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote