Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2016, 01:19 AM   #61
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Les Andrews books concerning errors within...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleynut View Post
Res731 has a good point.......example I measured the wear on the steering arms, turns out the balls are a about a 30 second out of round. Do I need to replace them or do I just use them. I'm lucky if I put 5 or 6 hundred miles a year on the car
If it steers OK I'd grease them up and use them. That's about .030".
Mine were worn at least .250" when I bought the car. I spent a lot of time welding them up and filing them round again.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #62
Jim Huseby

Hello Les Andrews- I hope you're looking in on this thread and not put off by some of the negativity. I have greatly benefited from your books and from meeting you at the MAFCA nat's in 2000. I am also entertained by your illustrations and style.
I am not an author or compositor, but I have written some magazine articles and have been in some magazines and newspapers. Editors have changed my wording resulting in the meaning or message in my articles being changed or made confusing, and embarrassing me. That's in addition to my own errors. Just posting on Fordbarn, I have made spelling and grammar errors, omissions and technical errors. Getting one paragraph understandable and unambiguous is a chore for me. I think anyone who has been in the media would say that it is unusual to be quoted correctly or have their real intent accurately represented. Composing a technical volume with illustrations and getting it flawless AND past the editors and illustrators and printers, re-editing it yourself again and again... well it would be a huge and difficult project requiring months or more of dedicated work. Thanks again for your dedication to the fun and success of our hobby.
Now, I've got a couple of questions for you: Are you planning to make a list of corrections and/or revisions available? Do you have any more books or technical works in the making? (put me in line for any new books or info you produce).
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #63
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

In fairness to the man there should be a post with a positive slant. Any fool can tear down a pyramid but it takes a genius to build one. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #64
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Jim, check your private messages..
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #65
harleynut

Thanks Tom.....that's what I needed to know. Great thing we have guys like you on the barn.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #66
henry's 31

I fully agree with Ted & Larry. Think for a moment. Without these 3 books what do we have? Having these 3 books has made me realize that I want to only have Model A's. I have TR6, Jaguar, Mercedes, Volvos, and it is hard to find books like the ones Les published to work on those other vehicles. This site compliments Les books nicely. I am greatful to Les and to ALL of you for helping me keep my A's on the road. Les Andrews books are worth every penny. This is my humble opinion.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #67
moasew

It would be great to have a section on the early Model A's. I was following les's book (showing the newer shift tower) on assembling my multiple clutch shift tower but it was opposite to the newer tower. i.e. the detent plunger goes in the opposite side of the multiple disc tower since there's no emergency lever near the transmission on the early A's. The plunger was used as a reference point for the fork shafts. I installed my multiple disc tower according to the book but found the fork shafts were reversed when I installed the tower in the car. This caused me to go looking for more tubular rivets for securing the shifting forks onto the shafts. I managed to find some old stock pins locally so I'm good.
I'm using the multiple disc tower on my single clutch transmission assembly as I want to use the tower which doesn't have a place for the E-lever. I also wanted to use the straighter shift lever .

Re Les's book there's no info on the first two early braking systems or either one of the powerhouse generators. I know of three vehicles in our small area here which are early (two are still not restored) so there must be an appreciable amount elsewhere to justify inclusions in the book. Les's book is very helpful in many ways however.

Last edited by moasew; 03-08-2016 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Explain my issues much better
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote